LEAKING Red Sea Reefer - Multiple Failed Seams

Discussion in 'Red Sea' started by Joseph Gagne, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Joseph Gagne

Joseph Gagne Member

Also posted in Gen Discussion Section...

I'm relatively new to the reefing world. Love the Reef in Wilmington, MA is my local reef shop. I recently purchased a Reefer 650 Peninsula with all the extras from them and had it installed by their service division. The system went in nicely and has been running great for the past couple months.

[​IMG]

I chose the Red Sea brand after months of research and talking with the staff at LTR. This is their preferred brand and they've installed many of them over the past couple years. From our conversations, Red Sea is a brand that they trust and are confident providing to their customers.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Unfortunately, every so often there is a problem..and that is fine. That is fine as long as the problem is taken care of properly and in a timely manner.

This past weekend, the display tank itself began leaking from one of the vertical seams. I woke up to our new hardwood floors covered in water and buckling at the seams. Water made its way through the floor and down the basement walls. Upon further inspection, it was clear that MULTIPLE seams were failing. Images below show separation of the glass panels and sealant peeling away.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The tank drained about 1/4 of the way down and then stopped.

The install company is assisting us by breaking the system down and relocating the livestock for the time being. We will reinstall the new system after the floors in the house have been replaced.

Now the question is...how will Red Sea make this right?

Yes, we've begun the warranty process and contacted our representative from Red Sea.

We've been reassured that Red Sea will ship us a replacement tank soon. But, as you know, there is much more to this than just a replacement tank.

There will be dozens of hours spent on the breakdown, relocation and re-installation. The floor boards need to be replaced as well as the drywall in the basement. The damage caused from this defective BRAND NEW aquarium has already cost thousands and thousands.

At this point, we are waiting to hear from Red Sea. Its been 2 days with NO information or replies to our emails with questions. It is not my intention in this thread to post private correspondence with the manufacturer or provide details regarding cost etc. That will remain private as it should.

My goal is to provide Red Sea the opportunity to show R2R members that they stand behind their products AND their customers.

I'd like nothing more that to close this thread by writing - "Everything has been taken care of! Thanks Red Sea for the great support and quality products!"

We shall see...

Vincent100 and McLovin70 like this.
    Tags:

2. McLovin70

McLovin70 Member

Considering this brand also...following

3. Highgrade

Highgrade Well-Known Member

Red Sea should take care of you. I have some issues with my Red Sea Peninsula 650 as well. All though not as bad as yours. They've agreed to warranty it and ship a replacement. I've been waiting for a response as well as to when the replacement will ship.

4. NYC_Reef

NYC_Reef Active Member

Did you contact them directly or through the store? When I had a problem with mine, the LFS where I bought it reached out to them and someone Red Sea was in touch with me via text the same day. I have also called their US line and there was always a real person picking up the phone during business hours.

5. TheHarold

TheHarold Well-Known Member

Two days with no replies? Chill man.

They have no legal responsibility for damages caused by defective products. If they are generous perhaps they will refund some of the money for the tank, but you need to contact your insurance for water damage within your home.

tj w and JoshH like this.
  6. Highgrade

I reached out to Red Sea Directly. It took over a week or so for anyone to get back to me. As soon as they did make contact with me they offered a replacement. My issue is with the glass quality (Blemishes on all panels, glazing/etching) I went through the process of the Warranty paperwork with proof of purchase. Last Wed. Nov.8th. I was told the freight company would be in touch either that Friday or Monday. I sent a follow up email this morning asking when I would be hearing from the freight company on the replacement since I have not heard from anyone. I know most of the tanks were pre-order in the late spring and some vendors have had a few in stock lately. I picked up mine from Saltwater Aquarium since MD kept promising they'd get me one after ReefAPalooza (which fell through) and BRS didn't want to commit since Red Sea hadn't officially rolled them out to all the distributors. I know the Hurricane in the south slowed things down a bit since Red Sea distributes the tanks out of TX. I'm wondering if the 9/16 thick glass on the end panels is not enough. It's strange they're not 3/4" like the others. I'll be keeping a close eye on the current one and the replacement once it arrives.

7. flowflezy

flowflezy Well-Known Member

Definitely following. About to make a big purchase on another tank so definitely interested on how red sea helps with this situation! Not like u here about a new peninsula tank leaking everyday so we will see. I’m definitely calling my insurance company now to see what’s covered on my end.
    Please keep this updated sorry about the weekend.

8. Ryan T.L.

Ryan T.L. Member

Following as well, own a RSR350 so far no issues thankfully. Your homeowners/renters policy will likely cover flood damage resulting from an accidental tank spill but unlikely any livestock or equipment unless you have a special rider. Note that "saltwater spill" is considered in the same category as a "sewage spill" which makes repairs more costly. I hope you get a new RS tank soon. As far as any products liability from RS their warranty likely excludes any resulting damage but both your insurance and you may potentially sue for damages from virtually any faulty product...

9. Joseph Gagne

Joseph Gagne Member

Thanks for the feedback all...points taken.

10. cmcoker

cmcoker Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

My reefer 250 had a pin hole leak in the upper corner of the front glass seam. Very slow drip when I noticed and immediately drop water level several inches. Happened a Friday night, had a new tank within 10 days I think, and that fell over a holiday weekend.

While it would be nice if they would, I wouldn't expect them to replace/reimburse the damage, it's written out of most warranty coverage. All the tanksplosions I have read about, it's home owners taking care of the damages. The ins co. can then pursue the aquarium company if they feel it's faulty or whatever.

Sorry your having to deal with this, it's a real pain

11. nvladik

nvladik Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Tagging along...

chuckfu5 likes this.
  12. Denisk

Denisk Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

I really hope your home insurance covers all the damage caused to the tank. It’s usually never the responsibility of the aquarium builder to fix any damage caused by the water. I would however take a look into who installed the tank to make sure they leveled the tank out properly whether or not they put the stand on a level surface and etc... I have delt with a tank replacement with Red Sea and they were overall fantastic. Slow a little at responding but it was all through email. They didn’t fight me, they didn’t argue me, they just replaced it and had the new tank shipped immediately. I can’t complain... but every company should have exceptional customer service. It’s just sad when you talk to the one employee who doesn’t care nor wants to resolve the problem. Either way, best of luck and hope you get your new tank running soon.

tj w and JoshH like this.
  13. OLDREEFER44

OLDREEFER44 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Legally, Red Sea is only liable for their specific product and not the water damage. That's why we have insurance just as if a 30 year warranty roof failed. I would question why your LFS was willing to install a tank with blemished glass which may have been an indication of freight or handling damage that could have led to the seam failure.

tj w, DSC reef and APLATN13 like this.
  14. David Gaskins

David Gaskins Member

Following. I had been deciding between a P650 and a 750XXL. Wife's decision to donate to me a bedroom to use as fish Room (as opposed to being in here Living Room :)) has allowed me to decide on the 750XXL (long wall). I know post hurricane Red Sea has had some issues with shipping, and vendor I was going to use (SWAquarium.com) is out of stock on base unit (Not interested in LED option).

Now I may need to rethink my decision on RSea. Hopefully this is not indicative of poor workmanship by manufacturer or shipping pallet design.

Sincerely,

David

15. Tom Blevins

Tom Blevins Acroholic R2R Supporter

Very Sorry for the issues, I am in the process of setting up my new 750xxl and I hope this does not happen with 2700 square feet of hardwood floors!

I think a fresh water test is in order!

McLovin70 likes this.
  16. Highgrade

Red Sea came through. My replacement tank is being delivered tomorrow.

blueface, Robink, 4FordFamily and 4 others like this.
  17. McLovin70

McLovin70 Member

Let us know the build quality on the new one please.

18. JoshH

JoshH Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

I second this, toss a level onto the tank with water still in it and see how level it actually is when mostly full. I'm sorry you've had to deal with such a frustrating situation and it's something that I feel we all fear will happen to us. I've had a few issues with Red Sea and they were all handled professionally and promptly, none however (Thankfully) on the scale of what's occurred here though.

19. Joseph Gagne

Joseph Gagne Member

Going on 4 days, no ship date for new tank, called Red Sea again yesterday, they picked up...was promised a call back...nothing so far.

The stand was properly leveled, the tank installed on an external wall, level checked again during initial fill. The house is relatively new as are the floors...i dont think the issue was support under the tank although I know that is very important.

20. Scurvy

Scurvy Pirate Reefer R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Sorry you’re dealing with this. I’ve only heard of a couple of leaking tank posts related to Red Sea. They seem generally few and far between. Good Luck on resolution. Im also in MA if you need an extra pair of hands to help with anything.

JoshH likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted