LEAKING Red Sea Reefer - Multiple Failed Seams

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

easily_fishstracted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to give an example of the wording from my policy which is unhelpfully for this forum in german:

"Bruchschäden an Aquarien- und Terrarienverglasung aufgrund Lösung der Verkebung sowie Bruch der Versorgungstechnik

Versicherungsschutz besteht:
1) für den Bruch und/oder das Lösen der Verklebung von Aquarien- und Terrariengläsern sowie daraus resultierende Folgeschäden an den versicherten Sachen des Wohnungsinhaltes;
2) für alle Folgeschäden ... durch:
a) den Austritt von Wasser aus dem Aquarium infolge des Bruches und/oder des Lösens der Verklebung;
b) den Bruch der Versorgungstechnik (Pumpen, Filter, Schläuche, etc.; innen oder aussen liegend);
4) für alle folgeschÄden an Gebäuden ... bis EUR 10.000, - auf Erstes Risiko (sowie nicht aus einer anderen Versicherung Entschädigung erlangt werden kann)."

In english this is basically:

Breakage/damage of aquarium and terrarium glass due to dissolution of glue/bondage and breakage of the supply technology

Insurance coverage exists:
1) Breakage/damage of aquarium and terrarium glass due to dissolution of glue/bondage as well as resulting damage to the insured objects of the contents of the apartment;
2) for all resulting damages ... due to:
a) escape of water from the aquarium due to breakage and / or dissolution of glue/bond;
b) the breakage of the supply technology (pumps, filters, hoses, etc., inside or outside the aquarium);
4) for all consequential damage to buildings ... up to EUR 10,000, - at first risk (and can not be compensated by another insurance company).

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had a similar issue with my 525xl with cracks on the overflow. I contacted Red Sea and where I purchased the tank from. they got back to me same day and told me a new tank would be out to me in 2 weeks. it being the holiday you may have a longer wait time to get in touch with someone. my experience went pretty smooth and hopefully yours will to.

OP
OP
J

Joseph Gagne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank arrived in about 2 weeks...it is now installed and looks good so far.

I'll keep this thread updated as needed.

Thanks for all the info and comments.

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red seas service is awesome. But with that sized tank I'd get a custom reinforced stand (steel). Stands out of pressed board is funny. When cleaning my reefer 170 with mag float, the whole unit goes back and fourth. I couldn't imagine one of these stands with 100 plus gallons on it.

Kinda like fords. Look really good, worst drive train. Only difference is Red Sea should and will handle there problems.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red seas service is awesome. But with that sized tank I'd get a custom reinforced stand (steel). Stands out of pressed board is funny. When cleaning my reefer 170 with mag float, the whole unit goes back and fourth. I couldn't imagine one of these stands with 100 plus gallons on it.

Kinda like fords. Look really good, worst drive train. Only difference is Red Sea should and will handle there problems.
The newer stands for the larger reefer series are made out of plywood.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The newer stands for the larger reefer series are made out of plywood.
I’ve got a Max S 650 which comes with an aluminium frame to support the weight of the tank, and there is no way I would trust a stand made out of wood for the weight involved taking into account the size of the 650/750 models and then all the live rock etc. I can’t understand how the boards can hold so much weight and be stable.

Clearly they have been designed for the job, but there is no way I would like to go under and into the sump of something that big and heavy supported by ‘wood’ of whatever nature. If it is plywood, eek!!

When I first read the specs I thought they had just missed the aluminium frame off, but no it’s a wooden cabinet.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large glass tanks need to be on near perfect stand and floor. Going rimless just makes issues with seams even worse. Right now large glass rimless is all the rage...but these stories are not rare on any of the brands any more that make large glass tanks. Red sea is a good as any other rimless glass tank IMO.

Pom Herder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear.. I had nothing but positive experiences with my Red Sea and their service...less so than with my waterbox
Please elaborate on your negative experience with Waterbox; I am about to order either a Red Sea 750 XXL or the WaterBox Platinum Pro 210.6.

Snuggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please elaborate on your negative experience with Waterbox; I am about to order either a Red Sea 750 XXL or the WaterBox Platinum Pro 210.6.
My Reefer installation was seem less. Everything went together, system was stable. My waterbox came with the wrong parts, awkward configuration in my sump. Seams of lesser quality. Filter Sox much noisier

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So reading this kinda made me cringe and go holy jumping bananas. I feel horrible for the op, hope it’s working out. In light of this I had to check with my own homeowners insurance which is through farmers. Generally they do not cover any water damage at all, from fish tanks, dish washers, washing machines, even water heaters. Kinda made go gulp. However in my state which is Idaho, all water damage is covered regardless under flood insurance. So for an extra 23 dollars a month I’m covered up to 75,000 dollars. Now with my tank, I added something cslled a floater which covers anything tank related to the actual dollar amount I have paid. You have to submit receipts, but now lol for an extra 43 a month (good grief) my entire tank is covered, and I have a 100 deductible. So thank you kindly to the op, for waking me up and taking action. I actually cslled my insurance and they added it. Since I’m a paper work nut, I did ask them to send me a binding document showing everything my flood insurance will cover and not, and everything my explicit floater will cover. It’s not that I don’t trust them. I want to make sure I’m covered if my 240 tank or soon to be 400 tank, decides to send me into biblical times and have a modern day Noah’s ark in my living room.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So reading this kinda made me cringe and go holy jumping bananas. I feel horrible for the op, hope it’s working out. In light of this I had to check with my own homeowners insurance which is through farmers. Generally they do not cover any water damage at all, from fish tanks, dish washers, washing machines, even water heaters. Kinda made go gulp. However in my state which is Idaho, all water damage is covered regardless under flood insurance. So for an extra 23 dollars a month I’m covered up to 75,000 dollars. Now with my tank, I added something cslled a floater which covers anything tank related to the actual dollar amount I have paid. You have to submit receipts, but now lol for an extra 43 a month (good grief) my entire tank is covered, and I have a 100 deductible. So thank you kindly to the op, for waking me up and taking action. I actually cslled my insurance and they added it. Since I’m a paper work nut, I did ask them to send me a binding document showing everything my flood insurance will cover and not, and everything my explicit floater will cover. It’s not that I don’t trust them. I want to make sure I’m covered if my 240 tank or soon to be 400 tank, decides to send me into biblical times and have a modern day Noah’s ark in my living room.
Hope that never happens to you, I am going to look into the flood insurance I just renewed my police and I think the water police was an extra 200 a year i will have to look. but yeah got to stay covered I have had 2 aquarium water disasters

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this is an older thread but I just got a 450 Reefer off a guy who never set it up. The feet were torn out moving the stand. The feet do not seem very sturdy as they are tiny plastic pieces. Once I can manage to lay the stand down and replace the feet my concern is my old house and unlevel floor. I was scared before I read this thread and certainly now. If anything happens it's all on me. Red Sea will have no reason to help. My question is will those tiny feet into particle board support the massive weight of the 450? If so and it isnt perfectly level how should i go about assuring it is level? I have a bunch of new plumbing and supplies coming from BRS but have to be sure it is safe to add water before I do anything. Thanks for any help with this!

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand and the feet on the 450 are more than adequate (I own 2). But the tank has to be positioned level and on a stable flat surface. 'Flat' meaning there can't be any warpage of the floor at one end of the tank compared to the other, which is even worse than being slightly off level; the stress can tear seams apart. This is true for any aquarium. If your floor isn't adequate you'll probably need to use shims. I can't advise you on how to do this best as I've never done it, but there are probably others who can give you tips.

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I bought shims today and new nails to fix the feet. I'm looking at ways to put some type of skirt at the bottom to cover the gaps. A kicker or something will work for aesthetics only.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back