Leaking tank turns into NEW TANK BUILD

jschottenfeld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was time to update everyone as to the current status of things...

Back in Dec of last year a slow leak in my 15 year old aquarium became not so slow anymore. With amazing guidance from this forum I quickly setup temporary housing in 2 rubbermaid tubs for all of my fish, corals and creatures to be transferred to. You can read all about it in my previous thread:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/need-help-with-a-leaking-tank-o.782936/

The reason why my tank leaked in the first place was wild! Years ago I had purchased a small favia frag that I placed about 6" from the edge of my tank on the bare bottom. As the years went on the favia grew to the side and then eventually up the wall.
IMG_5253.jpg
It was only when my friends and I started to lift my leaking tank off of the stand to bring to the curb, did I see water streaming out from the silicone seam right underneath where this favia climbed up the side wall. Over the years the growth of this strong coral caused the bottom and side glass panels to separate! It never occurred to me that a coral could have that kind of strength! I could imagine corals exhibiting great strength over time in the ocean, but not in my tank. Many of us like coral colonies growing off of side walls, back walls, overflow boxes, something different. All that I can say is that I will never have a coral colony grew over any seams in my tank again!

So in my previous thread I setup a temporary home for all of my creatures. They've been in these tubs for over 3 months now and everyone is happy and doing well.

Tubs 1.jpg

After a long bit of decision making I decided to go with joe @glasscages for my new tank. He was very willing to offer his expertise and I felt confident in my choice based on the many positive reviews on this board. I had to keep the same exact measurements of my previous tank so that it would fit in my existing stand (72" x 18" 25"). It's been a number of weeks and I'm expecting it to ship out this coming week. Here's a picture of it in process..
My tank in process.jpeg

All that they need to do is apply black vinyl to the back glass.

I've decided on using a Modular Marine 1800 for my overflow box. Looking at the reviews on Reef2Reef showed me the quality of the materials that they use in their manufacturing. I really can't say anything more about my experience with their product since I had them ship it directly to Glasscages so that they can drill the back glass at the proper locations.

When my new tank arrives I will need to switch my temporary tubs offline from my basement sump and install new 1-1/2" drains from the back of the MM overflow down to the sump. Probably the easies way to do this would be to drop the water level in the tubs so that it no longer drains and I can have them each independent of my sump. I already have my Tunze fans for circulation in each tub so all that I would need additional would be an air stone and heater for each. I feel that they should be good like this for at least a few days. Enough time to get my new plumbing done!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ... nice tank and one heck of a story!! Thanks for sharing!!!
Those tires though.... so funny. Wow Necessity IS the mother of all invention, right?

OP
OP
J

jschottenfeld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm passing time waiting for my tank to arrive....
Here are some before and after photos of my canopy. A buddy of mine who has a shop that is awesome with design, made this sapele stand and canopy for me about 15 years ago.
IMG_5198.jpg

The stand is still in awesome shape, but the canopy has been hit hard from a non-stop assault of salt water and heat from my metal halides.
IMG_5516.jpg

IMG_5514.jpg

As you can see the marine plywood over time delaminated from the constant battle with moisture. Even though it was very well protected with urethane, it's still wood in a wet environment.

Check out the awesome job that his men did in refurbishing the area closest to the water. They scraped away all of the rotted and pealing layers. Recoated with urethane and wrapped plastic Kydex sheet around all of the exposed wood. Everything was finished with sealant to insure it remains water tight!
Refinished Canopy 2.jpg
Refinished Canopy 3.jpg
Refinished Canopy 6.jpg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ man he did a great job!

I agree @joe@glasscages IMHO the way to go for a custom tank I have yet to get one from him but we have chatted a few times about a large 300+ tank and he has always been more than happy to answer all my questions. its just a matter of time before I buy one. oh and finishing the basement and ware down the other half...lol

post pics when you get the tank man.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jschottenfeld here is a picture with the Black Vinyl on the back. looks great! Thanks for allowing us to be a part of your journey.
IMG_3648.jpg

still in the vinyl tent.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@glasscages can you email me some more photos? :)
Sorry about that. Launching the new website this week. I am just seeing this request. Your tank is all packaged now. I feel so bad. Sorry about that. Its going to be on its way. Excited for you to get it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back