Leaking threaded pipe help

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you use or recommend silicone for sealant? It's harder to work with, acts as a lubricant for the threads, has a relatively long cure time, is open to potentially hazardous effects on the display if the right tube isn't picked up at your local store. If any of these reasons aren't good enough, you have a cheap, readily available product made specifically for this. Use the right tool for the job, and only do it once.

Because it actually IS an excellent thread sealant LOL! It does require cure time, as I noted …. though all the thread sealant approaches lubricate the threads, so that's not unique to silicone. I do agree that there's no particular reason to use it, given the alternatives. It's a bit 'thinking outside the box' though and at least two notable equipment manufacturers use silicone as thread sealant.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I'm urprised by your choice in this. I would never use a welded bulkhead. How on earth do you get it apart if the need arises? You would have to drain the overflow, cut a pipe, then undo the bulkhead.

I use slip bulkheads in almost all cases. I find that the inconvenience of disassembly more than offsets the potential for leaks and/or splits (even with paste sealant). But its a YMMV thing I suppose and I get why some folks prefer threaded ones. The irony, of course, is that even with threaded bulkheads plumbing choices downstream may still necessitate cutting out plumbing.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Local hardware store only has Real-Tuff thread sealant. Anyone know if it’s reef safe?

• Certified to ANSI/NSF Standard 61, safe for drinking water lines

Says safe for potable water in the details. This would be my go-ahead for my own reef.

OP
OP
S

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you guys recommend for threaded loc-line adapter for the returns? Should I still use thread sealant or not use any at all since it's in-tank?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back