Learning to pump

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I’d like to thank anyone taking the time to read this, and everyone who has taken the time to respond to one of my many many questions. Everyone has been friendly and very helpful. I have expanded my knowledge a great deal and will continue to learn as I go. With that......

See attached layout for plumbing a sump. Sorry for the child like skills in putting this together. I took information from many sources (including here) and tried to simplify for myself.

Am I on the right track? Am I missing any major detail? I am looking for a simple, functional and clean hard plumbing. Don’t think I want a manifold (but if I did, is that just a T in a return line connected to a ball valve, left closed until connected to something??)?

Thank you!

F4191502-9138-4C4F-90B5-46BE095C05DD.jpeg

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet. So the plumbing can stay that simple. And if I wanted to add a reactor to the system later, it would need to just be feed from its own pump (?). Thank you for the quick response!

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's best to keep things simple. It's great that you even have a emergency drain line plumbed.

I was a newb when I drilled my tank and I never did an emergency, luckily I haven't needed it yet, but it's great to have.

A manifold is a nice add on to have, but the way people describe it is that each time you adjust one gate all the others get thrown off, and you'd need a gate on both sides of that t so you could restrict flow on the return to provide the necessary back pressure in the manifold.

Hooking up a separate pump and running reactors off that is much more simple to control, and if you have more than one reactor you could create a manifold for that. Depending on the flow you need you might only need one gate valve on it and run equal flow to each reactor. It really depends on what you're running.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was asking how to plumb my new tank, I will be using a ghost overflow, he stated that the main drain should have a ball valve and the other drain should be a gate valve and that the valves should be as close to the sump as possible.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard a few different options. This hobby has much variety and options to get to the same goal. For the valves, I “heard” the easiest place to access and adjust. Closer to sump or tank no difference (but I’m sure we can find the opposite).

Today I read (had someone tell me) that larger pipe for emergency and smaller pipe for main drain. But if you look at PNP set ups, they have the main drain as the larger hole, emergency smaller (opposite of advise from today).

Again, I am trying to keep it simple. And I want it to look as clean as possible (even if it’s my first attempt). More important is functionality! I finally understood 3 hole and 4 hole drains / overflows. Then I started looking at double corner over flows (or glass cages tanks) with only 2 drain holes. My head stared spinning again!

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a chance to view local reefers setup, I went to the company that built my tank and looked at what they do and I took some pictures. They mostly use Ghost Overflows but have internals as well. See Crystal Dynamic Facebook they have lots of photos of both kinds of plumbing.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a chance to view local reefers setup, I went to the company that built my tank and looked at what they do and I took some pictures. They mostly use Ghost Overflows but have internals as well. See Crystal Dynamic Facebook they have lots of photos of both kinds of plumbing.

Did you buy from them? I was checking out their website today actually (looking at tanks). I’m in vegas, so they aren’t that far from me...

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard a few different options. This hobby has much variety and options to get to the same goal. For the valves, I “heard” the easiest place to access and adjust. Closer to sump or tank no difference (but I’m sure we can find the opposite).

Today I read (had someone tell me) that larger pipe for emergency and smaller pipe for main drain. But if you look at PNP set ups, they have the main drain as the larger hole, emergency smaller (opposite of advise from today).

Again, I am trying to keep it simple. And I want it to look as clean as possible (even if it’s my first attempt). More important is functionality! I finally understood 3 hole and 4 hole drains / overflows. Then I started looking at double corner over flows (or glass cages tanks) with only 2 drain holes. My head stared spinning again!
@dreamcatcherr9, thanks for checking us out. So many options. We have an Overflow Album on Facebook if you would like to see a few options as you consider all your options. Defining what you want to achieve and then selection the option that best satisfies what you want to achieve. A lot of variables. We are available if you would like to talk through them.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always a ball valve on the returns, and gate valve on the siphon.

You need very fine minute changes(1/8 of a turn makes a huge difference) in the siphon line to effect the water flow, thats why you use a gate valve.

Your return doesn't need these fine minute changes, so a ball valve is sufficient. Of course you could do gate on both, but not needed.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always a ball valve on the returns, and gate valve on the siphon.

You need very fine minute changes(1/8 of a turn makes a huge difference) in the siphon line to effect the water flow, thats why you use a gate valve.

Your return doesn't need these fine minute changes, so a ball valve is sufficient. Of course you could do gate on both, but not needed.
Thank you. I thought I had my diagram laid out as such (but I do get the terms mixed up when talking about them). I’ll make sure I put them in the right place (gate = siphon / ball = return). Appreciated!!

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dreamcatcherr9, thanks for checking us out. So many options. We have an Overflow Album on Facebook if you would like to see a few options as you consider all your options. Defining what you want to achieve and then selection the option that best satisfies what you want to achieve. A lot of variables. We are available if you would like to talk through them.
Hahahaha! Thank you so much! With time on our hands and trying to keep positive thoughts, I will probably text, email and maybe call to help discuss options! Appreciated!

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I bought a 72" x 30" x 24" euro braced tank, it has hybrid glass and plastic type bottom, fits inside the inside euro brace bottom. I also bought one of their wood stands. Yeah I would not worry to much about shipping, they will let you know how much? Sometimes you can work out a MACNA deal,

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back