Least aggressive tangs?

KandAReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines a beast lol… I’d put that on the bottom of my list.. mimmic and kole tangs are peaceful.. convict if you can keep one alive.. naso is chill if you have a large tank.
Agree kole tangs are rather chill

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow eye kole is a strait murderer he went through 4 wrasses and 3 fox faces before he allowed the current foxface and green corris to live in there

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello, I was wondering what are the most peaceful tangs to mix with other tangs? I currently have a yellow tang right now any suggestions?
My monsters are/were:
Powder blue
Purple
Sohal
Clown - Hit and miss
Sailfin
Lavendar
Kole

Super peaceful:
Tomini
Gem
Chocolate
Mustard
Hepatus
Vlamingi
Unicorn
yellows - Hit and miss
Chevron
Achilles
Naso
Lieutenant
1706925323757.png

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Whitetail Bristletooth has an elevated AQ. He’s taken out a few Diamond Gobies (I now realize my mistake in compatibility there). He went after my Foxface when I first added him - then the dorsal display and he pulled back. Now they are buds.

He still will occasionally chase my Solar Wrasse.

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Scopas is a real jerk. He is constantly on the attack, yet at the same time extremely skittish. He misses out on lots of food as the boogie man might get him.

My Desjardinii Sailfin is extremely mellow. He is well mannered ( or too stupid to fight back). He just takes it (his scars are healing). He is a pig when it come to food. Although he lets the Scopus bully him for now, I suspect that will change based on how he eats.

Probably should not have the both in my 5’ 112 gallon but the Scopus seems to be learning to tolerate his tank mate. If he doesn’t, the Scopus will be the one that has to find a new home LoL. In the end they both may get too big but right now they are just babies.

Last edited:

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea Sailfin is a terror! My orange shoulder is a big baby never seen him get aggressive.

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kole and a baby Yellow. I had other fish in the tank and they all get along great. Kole spends half the time in a cave, which is a little odd and the other time looking for food. He is 3x larger than any other fish in the tank, and optically threatening.

The yellow hangs out with my Clowns 80% of the time. I sort of wonder if it thinks it is a clown. Super peaceful, although is a juvinile.

My Lawnmower belly is the jerk and keeps close tabs on both.

Their behavior as nice guys could change if I introduce new fish.

Last edited:

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A well fed tang with lots of swimming room and lots of hiding spots tends to be at the very least decent to tank mates. None of mine have been problematic. I currently have yellows, gem, flame, and powder blue. In the past I’ve had a white tail, other yellows, and a hippo.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder blue - quite chill once it acclimated and became the boss.

Sail fins - mostly chill, especially when they’re the boss.

Yellow/Orange shoulder/Tomini - can sometimes be a bit aggressive, but mostly chill

Yellow eye Kole, Gem, Naso - chill

Scopas, Purple - aggressive

That’s at least my own experience.

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines a beast lol… I’d put that on the bottom of my list.. mimmic and kole tangs are peaceful.. convict if you can keep one alive.. naso is chill if you have a large tank.
My mimic tang is the worst and most aggressive in my tank, lol. My blue hippo, sailfin, foxface and orange spot rabbitfish are chill (rabbitfish aren't tangs but eat algae too).

zpete3323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The younger the better and added at the same time helps. I have mix of 2 sailfins and a Scopus tang that grew up together and are great. Tomini tangs are also chill. Would shy away from mimic tangs as mine rules the roost and does not like company...

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
My Vlamingi and Dussumeri Tangs are huge and super chill. Vlamingi is so friendly, always swim over and look at me when I come close to the tank . Since he is so big and mellow , other tangs like yellow , gem , white tail, mimic , hippo are peaceful too . Yesterday I introduced an Achilles tang . I was worried what other fish will react . Ended up nobody even bother to come close or look at Achilles .

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfin Tangs are chill.
No they are not.

Depending on the size of the tank the yellow / sailfin / purple trio has long been popular. You can swap a scopas in there if you're on a budget or a gem tang if the opposite. They are all jerks but only to each other.

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Vlamingi and Dussumeri Tangs are huge and super chill. Vlamingi is so friendly, always swim over and look at me when I come close to the tank . Since he is so big and mellow , other tangs like yellow , gem , white tail, mimic , hippo are peaceful too . Yesterday I introduced an Achilles tang . I was worried what other fish will react . Ended up nobody even bother to come close or look at Achilles .
That’s a nice mix of Tangs! I agree that the Vlamingii is one of the most consistently friendly fish I’ve ever dealt with and they have a seemingly higher level of intelligence like a trigger or a puffer, then that personality like a puppy wagging it’s tail at you through the glass everytime they see you is great. It’s too bad they’re not smaller so more people could enjoy them.
A Thompson’s Tang is a not so common one that are usually peaceful with other Tangs and Fish or schools, but it’s not an algae grazer. Older picture of Baby Vlamingii and a Chevron in a 750g. Also a Purple, few Yellows and a Bahianus in there.
20E0C1C3-BD9F-44DB-AA0E-26750EF6FF43.jpeg

rob1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can tell you which ones are the most aggressive . Powder Blue and Achilles tang, they are just beast.

From my own experience, orange shoulder, naso, chevron and tomini tang are good citizens but each fish has his own personality.
Chevron you say??? Where can I buy one lol

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I was wondering what are the most peaceful tangs to mix with other tangs? I currently have a yellow tang right now any suggestions?
The size of your tank is important. If you already have a Yellow, then any really timid tangs will not do well. Kole, Convict, one of the Foxface, Tomini, Powder Blue tang would do fine. Must add a smaller Powder Blue and last. Tank must be 180 or so for PBT. But they are soo beautiful.
IMG_1360.jpeg

IMG_4436.jpeg

Last edited:

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tomini is really chill, but its my only tang, so huge grain of salt there

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back