Leather coral closed.

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a finger leather coral frag 5 days ago and it opened up the next morning. Today the polyps began to recede and are now completely gone. My gsp and Xenia are good my parameter are also good. They say it’s normal for them to shed, but mine is not shedding it just retracted it’s polyps. It has good flow and lighting.

image.jpg

cngh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with above. give it time. it is not unusual for leathers to go into "shed" mode a few days after a major event (in this case, being added to your tank). it may stay closed for a few days or a week before you start to see the actual shedding. once the shedding starts, it could go on for a day or more, depending how big the coral is. you can turkey baste the shed to speed it along, or keep it in high/moderate flow.

leathers are pretty hardy, so unless you have terrible water quality, it'll be fine.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still not open... My params are good. Good flow. And the coral still looks healthy other than the fact that the polyps aren’t out. I think I saw some slime on it yesterday. I’m scared to add anything to the water which might tick it off more. Can I add some carbon? To help with the slime it releases.

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they can closed for several days. Point a powerhead in the leathers direction. Sometimes this helps with shedding. I assume you lights parameters are all good.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they can closed for several days. Point a powerhead in the leathers direction. Sometimes this helps with shedding. I assume you lights parameters are all good.
Lots of slime coming off as I write this message. Polyps starting to open. Should I turkey baste to help, and could I run carbon?

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half of it is open the other half is closed. The closed side is the one with more flow. Should I change the flow?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
they are big on water flow
It’s a good part of reason when not shedding that they film over
Chemipure blue is a good addition to filter to polish water, absorb toxins and keep nitrate and phosphate in check.
Direct water flow towards them, Not at Them

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back