Leather coral not extending polyps

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

We've had this leather for well over a month. The guy at the LFS said it would have yellow polyps once placed under stronger light.

We've tried different locations and we've never seen more than occasionally some pimples.

Our other corals are doing fine. We have some elevated nitrates (around 30ppm) but that's been stable for a long time - since the our uograded tank went through a mini-cycle in October after going from a 90 to a 125 gallon.

It actually seems to be growing despite not extending polyps...

49d1e1c31c10ecd260aed5914538570e.jpg

Ideas?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

We've had this leather for well over a month. The guy at the LFS said it would have yellow polyps once placed under stronger light.

We've tried different locations and we've never seen more than occasionally some pimples.

Our other corals are doing fine. We have some elevated nitrates (around 30ppm) but that's been stable for a long time - since the our uograded tank went through a mini-cycle in October after going from a 90 to a 125 gallon.

It actually seems to be growing despite not extending polyps...

49d1e1c31c10ecd260aed5914538570e.jpg

Ideas?
What lighting do you have it under?

OP
OP
S

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It never had polyp extension. The guy at the store said it hadn't opened there either but said it was probably because they don't have strong enough lighting at the store.

It's located at the mid-level of our tank which is a 125 gallon.

The closest we've seen is pimples with a faint hint of yellow but never like our others.

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green leather that didn't open for months and one day he started showing polyps and been fine ever since I'd leave him be unless he starts looking limp

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks healthy, despite the lack of polyps. Your nitrates aren't a problem with leather corals. Definitely don't be moving it around any more; let it settle in its current location. Have you looked to see if the polyps open at night?

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine to me, just be patient with it as leathers can be fickle. The only warning sign to worry about is if the coral starts to droop over.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back