Leather coral question

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I am not new to reefing. I’ve been doing this like 8 years. I am however new to leather corals. I’ve got a line on a great little toadstool leather frag I’m picking up Thursday. My question is do these dudes sting other corals? And what about the toxin they release into the water? Do I need to run carbon? I’ve got zoa, candy canes, blasto wellsi, and a hammer coral. Will a leather hurt any of that? I’m running a biocube 32 led.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tyree neon green toadstool doesn't bother anything. It's near acans, palys, SPS and hasn't damaged or 'fought' with any of them. I had it in my 24g for ~3 years then moved it to my 65g when I took the 24g down. I've had to cut it back several times in both tanks. When I do, I run GAC in my sump to be safe ... but have never seen any hint of negative reaction from any fish, shrimp, corals or other livestock.

leather.JPG

That said, I have not kept other types of leathers ... so, they may present a different story.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can if things get to close. They fight by chemical warfare not stinging. Give them plenty of room and you will be fine

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tyree neon green toadstool doesn't bother anything. It's near acans, palys, SPS and hasn't damaged or 'fought' with any of them. I had it in my 24g for ~3 years then moved it to my 65g when I took the 24g down. I've had to cut it back several times in both tanks. When I do, I run GAC in my sump to be safe ... but have never seen any hint of negative reaction from any fish, shrimp, corals or other livestock.

leather.JPG

That said, I have not kept other types of leathers ... so, they may present a different story.
That’s literally exactly the same type of leather I’m going to get. Glad to know it doesn’t bother anyone.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

leather.JPG

Nice specimen there. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back