Leave for a week… come back to this… 92* water

subzero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My home AC stopped working… house temp went from 24/7 76* to 85*… I’m assuming it happened the last day before I came back because not everything is dead. I’ll see in a month what comes back. Of course this crap always happens when you are away from home

Worst part is, all the LFS is closed due to Memorial Day ant even do a water change

577DC8D2-9398-4C76-AD47-EF30543D1EA3.jpeg

image.jpg

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My home AC stopped working… house temp went from 24/7 76* to 85*… I’m assuming it happened the last day before I came back because not everything is dead. I’ll see in a month what comes back. Of course this crap always happens when you are away from home

Worst part is, all the LFS is closed due to Memorial Day ant even do a water change

577DC8D2-9398-4C76-AD47-EF30543D1EA3.jpeg

image.jpg
Add frozen bottles to the tank to get temp down.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see that happen. Hope everything comes back for you.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see this. It happened to me about 3 weeks ago. Luckily I was home but it happened on a Friday and could get ac repaired until Monday. Also lucky it wasn't a hot weekend. My tank only got to 83. Fans on the top and on the sump help. I also frozen water bottles. Good luck.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no!!!! Why is it that there always has to be a tragedy when you're away! It's some Murphy's Law thing!

Is it because you're out of salt that you can't do a water change? If so is there a local club you can reach out to. I'm sure local members can loan you some (or someone from here that lives close). Or do you buy premixed water from the LFS. Even a local reefer can loan you some of that.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To solve your water change issue.. go to petsmart.. buy a 50 gallon bag of reef crystals.. use chewy to price match.. get yourself a bucket at lowes and mix in the bucket and dump in the tank.

I dont know why so many people buy water from a lfs

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To solve your water change issue.. go to petsmart.. buy a 50 gallon bag of reef crystals.. use chewy to price match.. get yourself a bucket at lowes and mix in the bucket and dump in the tank.

I dont know why so many people buy water from a lfs
Its most likely they buy the RO water from the LFS not just because they need salt.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its most likely they buy the RO water from the LFS not just because they need salt.
Unless his tap is toxic as hell i dobt itll do anything to that tank. My 135 uses tap and i have 10,000$ in corals and fish. Yet people locally where i live buy store water for their 10 gallon tanks. Because of the misconception that all tap water is bad

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use tap water but I have a RV filtration system that hooks up to it. Mainly for the chlorine and chlorimine the city adds. Plus I use seachem prime to be safe.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Drop temp GRADUALLY. Fans at tank help as does bags of ice in the sump- not tank directly

OP
OP
S

subzero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the temp down last night - opened the top to vent, turned room fan on, bagged some tank water and put it in the freezer till cold and dumped it back in, put in cold RO water.

mom going to Petco now for imagitarium Pacific Ocean water.. I don’t have salt cause I just get Catalina water from LFS.

Should I do a massive 50% water change or 30%?

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same happened to me years ago. Came home from four days in Vegas to water at 93. Lost almost everything. I then got a chiller as insurance against ac going out.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happen to me 2 weeks came back to my tank with 1/3 less water in it than when I left. Loss some corals and bleached some LR. One coral is trying to make a comeback my Duncan was fully exposed and didn’t seem fazed. The aquarium monster always attack when we leave town.

willieboy240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hours?? Lol mine mixes completely in minutes because I use hot water for part of it. I've never had instant ocean take hours to mix completely.
I always see little granules in the bottom of my mixing container if I don’t mix it for a good 4 plus hours. Sometimes 24 hours. And that’s with a big jebeo pump.
brs did test on salt. I think they found the same.

OP
OP
S

subzero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 10 gal from Petco.. imagitarium ocean water, did a 10 gal water change. We’ll see how it goes. Update pic in a month. I’m sad because I lost corals that were given to me that were very expensive

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 37 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back