led color question

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/eq...t-emitting-diodes-color-combo.html#post883856

Question for led experts on multi color choices. For my nxt build.
If you can get them i would use some High Noon White mixed with your other 10K at around 2 to 1 for great SPS growth and the Violets seem to be the trend but not to many from what i've read.
One thing I have learned is Led's are more powerful than I thought (Only running mine @ 50%) Whites that is so maybe you really don't need as many as you plan on using. And Less Led's along with a wider Optic may produce the same results with less cost JMO.
Also you may consider a few T5HO with Fiji purple for the Extra Pop they give to the colors of your SPS, I will be adding one of these to my tank very soon to suplement my Led's for that reason alone.
As a long term user of Led lighting i have found it to be very Directional in it's application on Reef Tanks and does not seem to bend like other forms of lighting and this can be seen in the growth patterns of Algae on the rocks in the tank and by Colonies i have glued to my Overflow. What I'm saying is If it does not get direct light it will not get any direct benefit from the Led lighting on the tank, And to correct this I'm going to try adding T5HO again along with the Led's JMHO
Bill

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill, seeing you write that makes me glad I left the guts for my T5 in the hood.

that said, the LED's I have have a mixture of whites in them. the blue's are all the same but having some whites that are more of a 10k spectrum really helps the overall look of my tank. you can see the shimmer they create and I am getting some good growth out of my corals.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill, seeing you write that makes me glad I left the guts for my T5 in the hood.

that said, the LED's I have have a mixture of whites in them. the blue's are all the same but having some whites that are more of a 10k spectrum really helps the overall look of my tank. you can see the shimmer they create and I am getting some good growth out of my corals.
If my memory serves me you have a mixture of Warm White and Cool Whites in your Led Fixture from when i had it, Not sure what you added to that mixture though?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back