LED experience

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your setup dimmable? Can you just turn on the Royal Blues?
The Gen 1 fixture is a fixture meant for the main lighting of a tank not a supplement and no there isnt a way to turn on the blues only.They are ran on 3 different panels,1 plug is to turn on the middle panel and the other plug is for the remaining 2 side panels.Being your tank is a bow front I think the reefbrite would be awesome for you because you can angle the the strip to point to where you want the light to go.

OP
OP
E

engineeronh2o

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the Meanwells, I have received all kind of questions about the drivers......Do you think a meanwell 30-27D can handle 4 LED? Actually that is overkill in most peoples eyes.....Dont you think?

What I am waiting for.......$100 fixture with the following:

1) 12 LED that is 2"x24" with optics
2) 3 watts that are dimmable
3) Capability of just blue, just white, or all on with simple on off switches built in the side of the fixture
4) One power cord
5) Fan built in
6) $100, no more than $150!

OP
OP
E

engineeronh2o

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many watts per LED is the reef brite setup and how many lights? Can I adjust the watts and can I just turn on the blues for a actinic look?

Read more: LED experience

I have 14K hqi MH 250 over the center of my tank. I can't put an all blue supplemental light in front of my tank, then the front is blue and the rest is white, looks REAL stupid. So I would have to get the mixed 50/50 fixture, then I got 1 watt led that aren't crees and probably less light than what I have now. Plus I can't turn on just blues for an actinic look?

Last edited:

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why did you use potentiometers for each led??? or did you mean each driver? did you adjust the internal pot?

said web site also has dimmable drivers too.

the sps could have ben adjusting to the leds...may be they where too bright in concentration with the optics you had....you had optics right?

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the Meanwells, I have received all kind of questions about the drivers......Do you think a meanwell 30-27D can handle 4 LED? Actually that is overkill in most peoples eyes.....Dont you think?

What I am waiting for.......$100 fixture with the following:

1) 12 LED that is 2"x24" with optics
2) 3 watts that are dimmable
3) Capability of just blue, just white, or all on with simple on off switches built in the side of the fixture
4) One power cord
5) Fan built in
6) $100, no more than $150!
:baffle::hammer:Nothing wrong with a man who knows what he wants but Im not sure if a 12 3 watt LED fixture with all those features exist on planet earth.If you ever do find one get at me;)

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many watts per LED is the reef brite setup and how many lights? Can I adjust the watts and can I just turn on the blues for a actinic look?

Read more: LED experience

I have 14K hqi MH 250 over the center of my tank. I can't put an all blue supplemental light in front of my tank, then the front is blue and the rest is white, looks REAL stupid. So I would have to get the mixed 50/50 fixture, then I got 1 watt led that aren't crees and probably less light than what I have now. Plus I can't turn on just blues for an actinic look?
They have all blue strips and 50/50 strips.Here is a link for some brain food Reef Brite LED Strip Light | SustainableReefs.com

OP
OP
E

engineeronh2o

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, you just don't believe it. No matter what I say....... LED are the greatest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is why they are in a cardboard box in the closet. If you want them, come get them, I promise the price is right!

Browning of coral means now they are adjusting. When I get a brown coral and stick it under a MH 250, it starts coloring up within a week or two. I had this setup for 7 weeks and just in the past 2 weeks, I have notice a slow process to brown. It is not adjusting! It is screaming for more light!

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, you just don't believe it. No matter what I say....... LED are the greatest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is why they are in a cardboard box in the closet. If you want them, come get them, I promise the price is right!

Browning of coral means now they are adjusting. When I get a brown coral and stick it under a MH 250, it starts coloring up within a week or two. I had this setup for 7 weeks and just in the past 2 weeks, I have notice a slow process to brown. It is not adjusting! It is screaming for more light!
what optics did you have on them and what mila amp did you stick to the leds

OP
OP
E

engineeronh2o

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not a fixture like that, but someone could become a rich man if they could build one. There is what reefers want, now someone out there is smart enough to make it. I have talked to the Reef Brite people many times and it is a no go. 1 watt lights and no dimming abilities or just blues. I might as well have a t5 fixture and get more PAR and save my money.

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know of some one that used 18 leds on his ceiling with 8 degree optics and he is getting 375-400 in his little tank (15-20gal i think) that is 6 feet under them.

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not a fixture like that, but someone could become a rich man if they could build one. There is what reefers want, now someone out there is smart enough to make it. I have talked to the Reef Brite people many times and it is a no go. 1 watt lights and no dimming abilities or just blues. I might as well have a t5 fixture and get more PAR and save my money.
You let me know of any light fixture in this hobby that is under $150 and doesnt have the name Odyssea on it and I will pay for it for you,I got into this hobby knowing that I wanted top notch equipment and was willing and going to pay top notch dollar for it.I just dont think what you are wanting out of a LED fixture exsist for the price you want and are willing to pay:(

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you got to remember...pay $200 for a 12 led system and you will not have to replace bulbs for around 10 years.... even if your doing a 12 led system to try to replace a 70w halide...the 70w halides will cost you $20 a year just for replacements and that alone is $200 then think of the electric and the fixture itself.

hech my 24 led set up only takes 76 watts....thats the watts of a 70 watt halide and is almost as strong as a 250w halide in a diy lumenarc reflector

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y'all need to back off the dude about the LEDs. He tried them and didn't like them. He explained his predicament, explained how he had to set them up, and explained why he didn't find them adequate for his setup. Let him run his T5's and be happy with it. I run exclusively LEDs on my two tanks and swear by them but I also clearly see there is no chance to convert this guy.

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y'all need to back off the dude about the LEDs. He tried them and didn't like them. He explained his predicament, explained how he had to set them up, and explained why he didn't find them adequate for his setup. Let him run his T5's and be happy with it. I run exclusively LEDs on my two tanks and swear by them but I also clearly see there is no chance to convert this guy.
ya i know but i would like to see a pic of the set up he was trying to run....i could help us may be figure out why they where dimmer than a t5

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont get it twisted JT,I was just trying to throw some different choices his way and let him see the reality dollar wise that what he is looking for just dosent exsist;)I am not trying to convert the man in any way as he is just looking for LED's as a supplement and not a main source of lighting.Now if he was down playing LED's as a main source of lighting then that would be a different story:D

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some hard core number for thoes who doubt.

MH Retro from Aquarium Pet Fish Supplies, Tank Accessories, Products & Equipment

Lumen Max Reflector $164
IceCap 400 watt ballast $199
Radium Bulb $89
Plug $4.00
Total $457
watts 381
PAR 180 @ 36"
10 year cost to operate $890(annual bulb replacement)+1,390.70(12 hours a day @ .12KWH)= 2,280.70

ReefLEDLights 60 LED Strip Kit (Our regular XR-E and XP-G star kits are much less but have a less finished look and need soldering) from Reef Led Lights

Kit $570
Add Ballast $150
Total $720
Watts 210 driven @ 900mA with dimmable drivers.
PAR 174 @ 36"
10 year cost to operate $0.00(no annual bulb replacement LEDs good for 50,000+ hours) + $766.50(12 hours a day @ .12KWH)= $766.50

Savings in operating costs alone $1514.20 or $151.42 a year you LED is free after 4.7 years. Less if you go the XR-E Star option.

The payback time if your running a chiller in a small apartment...Priceless...

If you do go LED use a quality kit using Cree 3 watt LEDs and research how you want to drive them. Also Luke has some 3 watt fixtures with numbers that are promising.

Here is a pic of the above fixture we provided to our wholesaler. He provided us with the PAR and watt readings.

60StripFinal.jpg

Bill

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt, Bay... I'm with you. I just read through the thread and it just seemed like a fool's errand to keep arguing with the OP.

I tell you one thing though... everyone wants dimmability on LED fixtures and I have a trick up my sleeve that may be unveiled soon enough.

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt, Bay... I'm with you. I just read through the thread and it just seemed like a fool's errand to keep arguing with the OP.

I tell you one thing though... everyone wants dimmability on LED fixtures and I have a trick up my sleeve that may be unveiled soon enough.
You know where you can find me when that time comes JTeezy;)

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1

Well said

Took me 20 minutes to post.

Bill

Back