LED help please

reefbroke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need new lights for my 6ft long{180} tank. I have a mixed reef. I don't want to spend a lot for bells and whistles, but I'd like to be able to ramp up and down. Apex control would be nice. Outside appearance doesn't matter as it'll be hidden in a wall.
Please give me some guidance!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need new lights for my 6ft long{180} tank. I have a mixed reef. I don't want to spend a lot for bells and whistles, but I'd like to be able to ramp up and down. Apex control would be nice. Outside appearance doesn't matter as it'll be hidden in a wall.
Please give me some guidance!
I have a 6ft, 120g tank and use 2 of these.
https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-reef-lights/4-sbox-pro-32-timer.html

Takes a little rewiring to make them controllable by Apex. Only took me 30 minutes to do both of my fixtures. You still need the build in timers to turn the light channels on and off but the intensity is Apex controllable after the mod.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused as to why you would need the timer version if it's controlled by the apex?
Thanks
The timer version is the one that is most easily converted to use with an Apex. It has 2 dimming modules controlled by knobs on the front. You basically unwire the knobs and replace them with wiring from the Apex. The Apex can't control the timers but it can control the intensity.
It was the most cost effective, mostly Apex controlled lighting I could find at the time I purchased them.

Test led

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look up the Reef Breeders Photon V2. Not Apex controlled. But comes with Cree Leds. And the included remote makes it very simple to program your lights. And you have six channels of control.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look up the Reef Breeders Photon V2. Not Apex controlled. But comes with Cree Leds. And the included remote makes it very simple to program your lights. And you have six channels of control.
I have the Photon V2-16 and it is a fantastic light fixture. But it looks too nice to hide in a canopy!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing what lights you have already had and how you liked them would help us give better advice. :)

Going just on bare recommendations.....

Current's Orbit Pro DUAL kit would be a nice option with uber-features already programmed in. I'm sure you can control their TrueLumen Pro strips with the Apex if that would be more desirable – those strips are also nice. I'd also consider a DIY solution based on strips of gu10 bulbs like I run. You can see some examples on youtube.

Post a little about what you've had and if any of these options seem more or less interesting compared to the others! :)

OP
OP
R

reefbroke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing what lights you have already had and how you liked them would help us give better advice. :)

Going just on bare recommendations.....

Current's Orbit Pro DUAL kit would be a nice option with uber-features already programmed in. I'm sure you can control their TrueLumen Pro strips with the Apex if that would be more desirable – those strips are also nice. I'd also consider a DIY solution based on strips of gu10 bulbs like I run. You can see some examples on youtube.

Post a little about what you've had and if any of these options seem more or less interesting compared to the others! :)
I have 2 ocean revive it2080s. One died and this company has no customer service! Tank was doing fine but now half is permanent night!!
Thanks for the replies so far.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to throw out a little-considered alternative: What about a light-mover?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A light mover costs a few hundred....not outside the scope of a six foot tank's budget. You could light your whole tank with one fixture. It's certainly not for everyone, but it does work and it is an option. :)

If you liked the narrow spread and spotlight effect that those Ocean Revive-type lights provide, then going with another china-shoebox-clone or even an upscale shoebox like the big AI's or Ecotech's would be worth considering. Kessil's AP700 would also be worthy. GHL Mitra's are one of the nicer spotlights, IMO.

If you're really trying to keep the budget low, you can't beat a DIY like the one I suggested. <$300 for a basic 72" setup. No bells and whistles, but it'll keep your corals happy! :)

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 ocean revive it2080s. One died and this company has no customer service! Tank was doing fine but now half is permanent night!!
Thanks for the replies so far.
If you mean only one channel is working, it can't be hard to get some replacement parts cheaply via ebay or even reefbreeders (I'd call them). You could probably switch the driver to the other channel and see if it's that. The IT2040/60/80 parts are still very widely used and in circulation and the boxes are easy to open up and work on.

Reading your post again - if the whole unit is dead that may be a bigger problem and harder to troubleshoot. I thought you meant one channel was out at first. Still doable, but you'd have to take the other one down and swap parts to test.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reefbroke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm leaning towards the photon 32 and the sb 32 timer. The photon would cost me an extra $400. Any insight here?
As always thanks!

Test led

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm leaning towards the photon 32 and the sb 32 timer. The photon would cost me an extra $400. Any insight here?
As always thanks!
The Photon 32 v2 has Cree 5 watt leds, then uses 3 watt Osram and Semi leds. Six channels of adjustability, is a thinner light with the power supply kept outside of housing and in the cord. This helps keeps the fixture cooler. The T slots in the top of the housing allow for an very wide range of mounting options. The remote control is easy to use.

The SB 32 timer has three channel adjustability but one channel is moonlight only. So really it is two channel for coral growth. The leds are 3 watt bridgelux. The power supplies are in the same housing as the leds. SB led layout is known to grow coral. With just the main two channels to adjust a lot of guess work is taken out just have to decide on power settings of the channels.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are both fine lights. The SB reef lights are a little simpler and I like the fact I could hack it to make it work with an Apex. The photon v2 is a better looking light with much more functionality. However, even though I had the light over my frag tank for 4 months I didn't really play around with all the adjustable channels. Longer term, or if you want to get into higher end SPS's, you are probably better off with the V2's. If you want something very functional and easier to use, the SB reef lights are just fine.

OP
OP
R

reefbroke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are both fine lights. The SB reef lights are a little simpler and I like the fact I could hack it to make it work with an Apex. The photon v2 is a better looking light with much more functionality. However, even though I had the light over my frag tank for 4 months I didn't really play around with all the adjustable channels. Longer term, or if you want to get into higher end SPS's, you are probably better off with the V2's. If you want something very functional and easier to use, the SB reef lights are just fine.

OP
OP
R

reefbroke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies!

I think that I already know the answer but here goes. Appearance and mounting options don't matter. I would like to set it and forget it.
What I don't have a clue about is the diodes. Are the cree / osram that much better? Cheaper to run? Last longer?

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SBReef lights are basically the same as the IT2080s you have, literally the same parts from the same manufacturer. They are good lights, and easy to customize and replace parts on like I said.

SBReef customizes the light layout similar to how Reefbreeders did on the photon v1s and is a US based company to deal with. If you are going to keep the other It2080, I would just get the SBreef or a similar evergrow variant to keep things similar in the tank. The photon v2 is probably brighter/watt but these lights have more power than you would even want imo. I would mainly go that way for the looks of the fixture on a rimless tank.

Blue Meg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen light controllers, but to me they seem like a dying technology unless they are integrated with the lights. I use my AI app and the web browser to control my lights.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reefbroke I would actually avoid the lights with excessive levels of control. Seems like a needless feature that steers a lot of reefers wrong with the constant temptation to fiddle with the light settings.

When I get tempted by such features, all I do is remember the awesome corals I (and others) have grown under plain old ON/OFF lights that don't vary color or intensity at all. Then I remember the word "needless". ;)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back