LED lighting for RSM250 help

brett073

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have 2 AI hydra 52's above my Red Sea max 250 and was wondering what percentages would be good to run them since I know it's a little much for this tank. Currently I have them set at:

White 7%
Violet 50%
Red 6%
Green 6%
Deep blue 70%
Royal 70%
Uv 60%

Is this too high? Any help would be great, thanks!

IMG_1565.JPG

RUNVS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Hydra HD's over my 65 gallon tank and I run the SPS AB+ program, the two blues run about 90%, the two purples run about 80%, Red,Green, White run about 25%. The lights are about 12" AWL.

RUNVS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but go slow, Corals do not like a sudden increase in light. Span it over a month or two of slowly increasing the intensity to properly acclimate the corals to the increased light output.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may I ask why you use the zig zag and no cool white?

The most popular schedule available for download from the AI Facebook group looks remarkably like this. Curious if the OP started from there?

I tried it on my Prime but the PAR reading were too high for me on my Nano and I couldn't find a way to globally reduce the entire program (you had to edit each point individually).

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(you had to edit each point individually).
yea thats my concern. besides not being able to reduce peal intensity and time easily in case things go astray.

Wondering where this method came from.

RUNVS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may I ask why you use the zig zag and no cool white?
So this was borrowed from other users who have used it with success so I am not the creator of this program. From what I understand the zig zag nature was used to replicate cloud cover. The program uses all the channels of the colors on the lights, white is set to 25% intensity as these are the AI Hydra 52HDs. The lights also have the ability of acclimation mode where you can use the same program but set the intensity much lower and give it a time frame in which you want it to gradually ramp up until its meets the intensity you desire over the course of several months on its own. I have used this program for the past three months and my SPS have been doing great at the full intensity with excellent coloration.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this was borrowed from other users who have used it with success so I am not the creator of this program. From what I understand the zig zag nature was used to replicate cloud cover. The program uses all the channels of the colors on the lights, white is set to 25% intensity as these are the AI Hydra 52HDs. The lights also have the ability of acclimation mode where you can use the same program but set the intensity much lower and give it a time frame in which you want it to gradually ramp up until its meets the intensity you desire over the course of several months on its own. I have used this program for the past three months and my SPS have been doing great at the full intensity with excellent coloration.
Thanks!

OP
OP
brett073

brett073

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the non HD version and have been ramping them up little by little over the last couple weeks, I didn't use a program I just have them manually set

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, set your colors by eye for the peak lighting. on the cheap you can use a lux meter($15 on amazon/ebay).
For led, device lux by 60 to estimate par.
ie 6000 lux is 100 par.
with more blue mix, use the numbers 65 and 70 as a conversion.

If it were me on that tank I would aim for a par of 400 at the top of the tank. it should give you a par of just under 100 on the sand. even with a par meter, advice stays the same, watch the coral and make adjustments slowly over time and find the sweet spot, by adding either time or intensity to the peak .

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back