LED Lighting Help

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe theres just + -, 2 sides on the bottom of the timer. Would that not be, one set of inputs and one set of outputs for a dc timer?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, I just hunted down the pattern on the timer bottom.
CH795_5_zps962624b3.jpg

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea your right, I just assumed it was set up for 2, when I glanced at his pic, didn't go hunting down the actual lead types until now. But, at $8, shouldn't be a problem running 2.

simonellis86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on the left side the two terminals will take the wire from the negative terminal that runs to the existing switch and the wire that runs from the switch to the terminal with the green/blue cable (depending which one is for the white leds) then the right side terminals will be for the 12v + and - (making sure you get the correct polarity)

OP
OP
T

tylerandersen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks for your help! Yes I think I am only interested in timing the white leds. The blue ones I like on at all times.

OP
OP
T

tylerandersen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So left side I take the green negative wire connecting the white to the switch and just add it in place of the physical switch. The right side I take the positive and negative wires for the power source. I guess I'm confused on the right side. How I add it in so that it doesn't effect the blue LEDs powering.. Like I said this is all completely new for me. I appreciate your responses!

simonellis86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so on that terminal block the red cable opposite the green one need to go to your timer

simonellis86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically all you are doing is removing the cables from the switch and using the timer as a new switch if you get what i mean

OP
OP
T

tylerandersen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay got the timer! And new fans which were easy install.. So I know the switch wires go where the timer says switch.. For the power prongs, which two am I supposed to connect.. Is this just going to run through this thing to simply power it?
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1402092995.015098.jpg

simonellis86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested the positive to negative voltage of the supply in the light fitting?

OP
OP
T

tylerandersen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have not.. I believe it's in excess of 12v if that's what you mean.. I initially wired my 12v fans into the system and boy did they take off.. They are now running independently on 12 volts.

simonellis86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a tester to test the voltage because the fans will be more tolerable to over-voltage than the circuit board would be inside that timer and one other thing do you know the polarity (which one is positive and which one is negative) of those pins for the supply on the timer

OP
OP
T

tylerandersen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a tester, I can certainly find one.. I don't know positive from negative. How would I find out

OP
OP
T

tylerandersen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the contacts for the switch actually running to the timer's board.. Or is it only the power contacts that do that and allow the switch to operate.. In other words, if I include the timer in my fans power source (12v) can I still function the lights with the switch which are powered by what's labeled as a 24v block.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back