LED or Metal Halide

Shiggknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not based on look or what your eyes can see except growth. Can you get better growth from a LED or Metal Halide?

I have no experience with the really expensive G5 xr30s. Or Halides. I’ve had T5s up until now.

thank you for your experience.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe halides grew better when LEDs were new and unrefined, but the spectrum blends are so advanced now that im sure LEDs have taken the crown.

If halides were still superior in 2021 the big coral companies (WWC, etc) would use them, but just about all of them use LEDs (mostly Ecotech)

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had success with both. I use led on almost all my tanks. The customizable part of led gives it a huge advantage. Personally, I find more growth with led. But its your preference.

OP
OP
Shiggknight

Shiggknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the cost difference in Halides vs LED on the electric bill? I’m sure LEDs win but by how much would be interesting to know.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What specifically do you want to grow and over what footprint at what depth?

U

User1

View Badges
It is a preference, a personal thing. Anything else is just a recommendation. You can search the web and find a metric ton of successful tanks using both.

Go with what works for your design from installation to bio-type. Focus on installation, maintenance, buy in cost, yearly cost, and above all SPECTRUM (COLOR). Once you look at this and decide what you want then you can answer your question.

TL; DR - both will grow corals at a similar rate. One is not better than the other. We have moved on past this argument.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gD-dI5.gif

Begun this lighting war has...

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90g tank 48 x 18 x 25. Nothing but space for the SPS to grow no rock, tangs, wrasse that’s it.

And when you say SPS are we talking slimers, Digis and stags or are you going to be more focused on more challenging Acros?

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So neither is significantly superior to the other in growth rate?

If your prepared to configure watt for watt probably...

I'll prob get some shade thrown at me for saying that but that has been my experience.

I didn't know any better than to trust all the hype threads when I set my 300 up. And I had no idea that most of the ppl posting on them weren't actually growing a lot of acro colonies (excluding staghorns and slimers)

My 5yr goal was to grow Turaki and Lokani into baseball sized colonies literally on the sand in both front corners of my tank bc that's what "Acro dominant" is to me.

Started out with the recomended config for 8ft only to find out it would cost me a fortune to add enough LED units to get any acro, anywhere in the tank to grow as well as they did for me in the past under 4 250w Radiums.

Id have to hit approx .85-.95W of LED to 1W of MH to be equivalent for my application. Hence my questions.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back