LED Q&A (You ask, I'll answer)

reefwatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not for sure if i'm going to use SPS or LPS corals yet its going to be a 50 or 60 gal tank what kind of lighting would be best but not a cash crop but good colors and strong corals.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so for the help!
What drivers would you recommend?
Thanks
Mark
Forgot to ask, I need to know how many channels there are, and how many LEDs, and what wattage.

Hello. I was just sold 2 Led strip. Each come with 24 lights. One is all blue, the other has blue and 8 pink lights. Is this enough lights to grow coral (not sps) in a 12g nano jbj cube? I was told it was equivalent to a t-5 output. He suggested getting whites, but said I would be okay without them.
I would get whites, you will not be well off without them. 24 LEDs is not enough, the wattage matters, they could be 5 watt, or .5 watt. You can get that info from the driver most likely.

There are two advantages. One is, they group different colors together so you don't get the issue with color fringing (the disco ball effect). The second is that it gives you more shimmer; i.e., closer to the shimmer you get from metal halides.

CJ
I find that you get plenty of shimmer if you pattern them correctly, placing colored diodes near the royal blues, and staggering the colors.

ok so here nis my question.... I am planning my tank upgrade. Probably going to a 4 ft x 3ft 150 tank. I am not skilled enough to build my own LED's and would rather be safer and have some pre-built versions. That being said, between the Maxspect Mazarra P series and the Ecotech Radions, which would you choose and why? Also how many of each fixture would I need? Does it make a difference that the maxspects are only 60w vs. the 120w ecotech? I believe the tank will be about 2 ft deep also. If I am remembering correctly. Thank you for your help.
Either way, you would need 4+ fixtures. I would go with 2 of their new 160watt razors, the 16k version.

I'm not for sure if i'm going to use SPS or LPS corals yet its going to be a 50 or 60 gal tank what kind of lighting would be best but not a cash crop but good colors and strong corals.
I would go with diy, at least 36 XT-Es, 12 blues and 24 whites, ore 18:18, depending on the color you want, plus violets, reds, and cyans/greens.

how many hours per day would you recommend running 20,000 k par38 bulbs over an sps reef?
12 hours, I would raise them up high if they are not dimmable, and slowely lower them over the next few weeks.

TANKSALOT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been following along and getting ready to start an LED DIY for my 90 gallon tank that I am setting up.

I understand that a string of 9 to 12 LED's on a meanwell ELN 60-48D would be fine.
What I am not completely sure of is the number of each LED to put on each side with 8" x 20" heatsinks.
And what to put on each driver.
How many drivers will I need?

I intend to use Cree LED's.
I will be using the DIM4 for dimming.
Want to do it once and do it right.

Thanks for all you do!

TANKSALOT
aka - Steve

Last edited:

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I planning LEDs for a 180 (6 foot) tank. It will consist of 3 18 inch panels with each panel having 48 LEDs. My main focus will be Royal Blue and Cool White but I want to add Violet, Red, Green, and Blue/Cyan/Turq for color accent for acros. What mix of these colors would you suggest?

Thanx

TANKSALOT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the layout I am considering for my 90 gal build.

2 Fixtures with....

26 - Royal Blue on 2 ELN 48-60D Drivers
12 - Cool White on 1 ELN 48-60D Driver
6 - UV on 1 ELN 48-60D Driver
4 - Red & 4 - Green on 1 ELN 48-60D Driver

All with 60 degree optics

LED1.jpg

Last edited:

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rapid led triple puck kit installed in the hood of 14 gallon biocube. I need to install fans to keep this cool. My question is, should I mount a 120mm fan externally on top of the heatsink (blowing in or pulling out) or should I install two
50mm fans in the original fan locations with one blowing in and one blowing out?

aaronbrown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running a 48" 4 bulb retro fit over my 75g reef. I was thinking of adding some leds to add shimmer and moon lighting as for bulbs i was thinking of running 2 ati blue plus, 1 coral plus and 1 purple plus. what would your suggestion be as far as what leds and how many would like them dimmable

Fishinizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

firefightered

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum sheet I want to use as a heat sink. I is way bigger than I need for my 75gl. I want to put a 72 led set up from aquastyle on it. Will this be good enough for a heat sink. Maybe 12" wide by 46" long?

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I planning LEDs for a 180 (6 foot) tank. It will consist of 3 18 inch panels with each panel having 48 LEDs. My main focus will be Royal Blue and Cool White but I want to add Violet, Red, Green, and Blue/Cyan/Turq for color accent for acros. What mix of these colors would you suggest?

Thanx
I would suggest 4 violets, reds, and greens per panel. Cyans and greens can be used interchangeably, they have a similar effect. You can add blues also, I usually do.
Here is the layout I am considering for my 90 gal build.

2 Fixtures with....

LED1.jpg
You will be at about 20k, even bluer. other than that, it looks good, just make sure by UV, you meant 410-430nm violet.

I have a rapid led triple puck kit installed in the hood of 14 gallon biocube. I need to install fans to keep this cool. My question is, should I mount a 120mm fan externally on top of the heatsink (blowing in or pulling out) or should I install two
50mm fans in the original fan locations with one blowing in and one blowing out?
I would do one fan, 1 120mm fan will have way more push than 2 50mm. Have it blow down on the heatsink.

Im running a 48" 4 bulb retro fit over my 75g reef. I was thinking of adding some leds to add shimmer and moon lighting as for bulbs i was thinking of running 2 ati blue plus, 1 coral plus and 1 purple plus. what would your suggestion be as far as what leds and how many would like them dimmable
I would do 2 of ReefLEDLights 24" strips, all royal blue XT-Es (24 total), and use an ELN 60-48D, you can run them in parellel.

They have decent reviews, I believe they have cree XP-Es, but I would go bridgelux, and add the violets, reds, and greens.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum sheet I want to use as a heat sink. I is way bigger than I need for my 75gl. I want to put a 72 led set up from aquastyle on it. Will this be good enough for a heat sink. Maybe 12" wide by 46" long?
Yes, if you have fans blowing on it constantly. You should be just fine.

TANKSALOT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by TANKSALOTHere is the layout I am considering for my 90 gal build.

2 Fixtures with....

Attachment 40196

You will be at about 20k, even bluer. other than that, it looks good, just make sure by UV, you meant 410-430nm violet.

So what would I change to reduce the blue?
Are the drivers selected my best choice or is there a better option/

salty 777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is awesome,exactly what I need!! I’m going to jump into a DIY project, figured out thefollowing:

heat sink
http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/makersled-designer-heatsink-kit-professional-grade/
vdm to hook to apex
http://www.rapidled.com/variable-speed-dimming-control-vdm-module/
5 mean- well eln 60- 48 d drivers controlling:
1) 4 red 4 green 4 uv
2) 12 whites
3-5) 36 blues
and a small moonlight kit separately

So my next stepis choosing the color breakdown and I’m not so good with understanding the wavelengths
Any ideas onhow to match colors for best par, color pop and growth? It’s a 58 gallon 48long

Exterminatank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So here is my question. I'm looking to do a cheap 3 single led fixture for growing chaeto in my 20 long fuge. I am thinking like 2 white leds and 1 blue. Small, simple. I can't find anything about building anything that small. I need info like driver to use, watts (3 or 10 watt leds) and i keep hearing people say i would have to tune the driver top a different mah or something but i have no idea what this needs or entails. Could you put together a list of things i would need to build something like this, our how to build something like this? I know heatsink (4" squared?), 3 leds, glue, but after that i have no idea. Please help... Thank you in advance.

Mike :)

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A person in my area is selling a custom LED setup. Here is his for sale post.

Broke down and sold my tank only have the light left.
Asking $200.00 FIRM.
Custom built dimmable 48x18" led light. Contains all CREE LED's, XML whites, XPE blue and royal blue, green and turquoise leds. Split into three channels and can easilly support a 75, 90 or even 120 gallon tank.
Cooled by 3x 80mm fans run on a single power supply.
LEDS powered by Meanwell drivers.

Dimming is done by hand, but can easilly be hooked up to a reefkeeper setup to automatically dim and such.

Fixture is plug and play, ready to go. I have a frame of a canopy built for a 48x18" tank that i can include for free with the light, just throw a couple pieces of wood paneling on the front and sides and you have a beautiful canopy. Otherwise, the light can easily be suspended over a tank or propped up with blocks on each end.

pictures available upon request but here are a few i have now.
2012-01-01182133.jpg

FTS.jpg

I'm interested in this for my 90 gal reef which is mostly SPS down to about midway. And the future for this tank is full SPS. What more do I need to know about this before I commit to buy? Any special questions to ask? Thanks in advance.
John

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back