LED salvaging from 165w blackbox?

Agennello1123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if it is possible to rip apart one of those Chinese 165w black box and salvage only the blue LEDs and build them into a bar light. I have a decent understanding of electronics and can solder, just looking for someone who has done something similar or could point me towards a website or forum that could help. I have access to a bunch of these cheap Blackbox leds but hate how bulky and ugly they are and would only use the blues anyways. I'd like to set them up with an external power supply to keep them very compact. Anyways any info helps. Thanks in advance.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the LED design. If they're sruface mounted it can be done but specialized equipment is needed to unsolder them. There are LED which have little solder "ears" or tabs sticking out on the sides and those can be unsoldered with a conventional soldering iron and solder sucker. Much easier to just use the driver and maybe the heatsink and buy LEDs online. (Search for LED stars or LED COB)

Here's a link to my DIY 3500 PAR Cannon light. You should be able to easily adapt the electronics to any heatsink you want to use.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if it is possible to rip apart one of those Chinese 165w black box and salvage only the blue LEDs and build them into a bar light. I have a decent understanding of electronics and can solder, just looking for someone who has done something similar or could point me towards a website or forum that could help. I have access to a bunch of these cheap Blackbox leds but hate how bulky and ugly they are and would only use the blues anyways. I'd like to set them up with an external power supply to keep them very compact. Anyways any info helps. Thanks in advance.
Unless you use like an electric fry pan to remove them most of the time they break trying to take one off at a time.
At like 10 diodes for $1 on AliExpress removing though noble is kind of err wasteful in terms of time/ energy.
Next unlike getting new diodes already on starboard you are working with the bare diodes
Unless you buy starboard and attach them ( more labor/ cost) you would need to thermal epoxy ( or thermal rtv) the " eggs" right to a heatsink and bend the contacts up. If not careful you will break the plastic/ ceramic ( not sure exactly what they are made of) die holder.
Or at another cost you can buy linear led circuit boards made for the loose diodes.

To suppliment any new expenses you could modify the old boards with more blues ( removing some whites) that you would buy for your new strips and then sell them.

In other words build new bars and " fix" old boards to be more functional.
And you would actually get paid for doing it.
Unfortunately you might only net like $10/ board.
:)

caddnima_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old post. But maybe my build can help inspire you?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old post. But maybe my build can help inspire you?

Thanks. As a side note many end up breaking the led on removal.
Seems some are soldered in the center slug, some just thermal compound.

The " twist off" method is the most fatal.

Consider this an asterisk.
Nice writeup though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back