led strip light

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering trying to diy a strip light(for supplemental) similar to what Orphek has done in their 120 series but 60-72 long for my 125 softie tank I'm building.

I'm having trouble locating long enough heat sinks though. Has anyone done their own in this length/ and if so what did you use?

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heatsinkusa

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built one with a piece of angle aluminum. It had three watt emitters, a meanwell driver and was about 90 watts total. I ended up retiring it and buying a reefbrite strip because it wasnt water proof and always needed repair from salt spray corrosion.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built one with a piece of angle aluminum. It had three watt emitters, a meanwell driver and was about 90 watts total. I ended up retiring it and buying a reefbrite strip because it wasnt water proof and always needed repair from salt spray corrosion.

Yeah that was one concern I had. trying to figure out a way to put a splash guard on it somehow.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about coming down the sides with some colored acrylic and a piece of clear acrylic over the face side of the LEDs

If you paint the outside of the aluminum make sure you use a zinc chromate primer ..

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about coming down the sides with some colored acrylic and a piece of clear acrylic over the face side of the LEDs

If you paint the outside of the aluminum make sure you use a zinc chromate primer ..
That's an idea although I'm not sure how to fabricate with acrylic to make the cover. I'll have to do some research. The other option would be to use the c channel stock that you linked and somehow route a slot in it that I could slide an acrylic sheet in to act as a cover but I doubt I have the tools necessary to make the slot.

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an idea although I'm not sure how to fabricate with acrylic to make the cover. I'll have to do some research. The other option would be to use the c channel stock that you linked and somehow route a slot in it that I could slide an acrylic sheet in to act as a cover but I doubt I have the tools necessary to make the slot.
Yeah .. if you have or can excess a table router that be perfect

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 44 42.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 49 47.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back