LED'S and clownfish aggression

EMTDIVER16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it sounds crazy but several weeks ago I manufactured a 24 bulb 3 watt Cree LED light strip to supplement my T-5's and every time I turn them on my large female percula get really aggressive to the male. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? The clown are housed in a 18" diameter green carpet anemone with many other tank mates. It is almost to the point im thinking about doing away with the LED's! Any ideas or suggestions would be a great help.

AndyDuckets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol i've got some cichlids, that i'd be sleeping on the couch over, if i got rid of... i know how that goes

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen it happen. It is very odd, they are fine while the regular lights are on. Only when he turns on the led's she acts up.

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns don't show any difference with my LEDs although my tank is exclusively lit with LEDs. Not sure if that is causing any reaction for you?

OP
OP
EMTDIVER16

EMTDIVER16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all good ideas! Its just really strange, i just keep turning them on for long periods and hopefully we will see what happens.

JiggyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it happends to me when i turn on my metal halides, as long as the PC are on in my nano they are fine then i turn on the halides she chases him around and around the nem untill i guess she gets tired, mine are a picasso pair every day its getting less and less

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the sudden change in the lighting.

Some clowns will react,others wont.

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sudden increase in light will stress the fish.

LEDs rock as they can come on naturally like a sunrise with a controller...No expensive wrasses carpet surfing...

I have 6 mated pairs of clowns in my tank...three are divorced and showed similar behavior before the submissive one lost the house, the car, the boat, the golf clubs, the visitation, the baseball cards, and the pension...Just kidding...Somewhat...

As clowns mature they develop into the husband or the wife and if for some reason they are upset or not properly mated they will divorce and you will eventually have two females that will fight for territory like any damsel.

Bill

OP
OP
EMTDIVER16

EMTDIVER16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good ideas! Would the one clown be the only one in the whole tank that reacts that way? I have 22 other fish and shes the only one that acts up, go figure!

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the sudden change in the lighting.

Some clowns will react,others wont.

I agree...my buddy went from T5's to Halide and his Tomato clown was ****** for a couple of days and only when he went up to the tank. It was like his clown knew it was him messing with the tank. It was crazy to see but eventually the clown chilled out and everything is good now!

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sebae clown does the same thing when the LEDs kick on. Maybe it gets a nice crisp reflection of itself in the glass or something? As soon as the tank really lights up it starts chasing all the wrasses, anthias, etc around the tank. The only fish that will put him in his place is a 6" sailfin tang

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be simply the sudden light. MH take a while to turn on, almost a 1 minute sunrise which does not stress the fish as much as 400Par in 1/2 a second would. I just ordered an Apex Controller to give my fish the gentle wake up as apposed to Lee Ermy with a metal garbage can.

Bill

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back