LEDs only?-BRS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

YellowScroll62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon. I started a thread on the lighting forum and since this is really a question for BRS I was told it would be best to post here. I noticed that the only type of lighting that is "recommended" is LEDs...Radions, Kessils, etc. I'm starting anew after a long hiatus and used T5's and I'm torn. Trying to decide between ATI T5's or LEDs. Is it just as simple as LED is newer technology? If I choose to stay with T5's will I run into trouble later with them being phased out? It appears that since I left the hobby MH have almost but disappeared. BTW...I read all the discussions on which lighting is best LEDs or T5s (which I actually enjoy) so I'm not going down that path, just commenting on what I observe in the online wholesale market.

jbrady429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good afternoon. I started a thread on the lighting forum and since this is really a question for BRS I was told it would be best to post here. I noticed that the only type of lighting that is "recommended" is LEDs...Radions, Kessils, etc. I'm starting anew after a long hiatus and used T5's and I'm torn. Trying to decide between ATI T5's or LEDs. Is it just as simple as LED is newer technology? If I choose to stay with T5's will I run into trouble later with them being phased out? It appears that since I left the hobby MH have almost but disappeared. BTW...I read all the discussions on which lighting is best LEDs or T5s (which I actually enjoy) so I'm not going down that path, just commenting on what I observe in the online wholesale market.
I don't think that you have to worry about T5s being phased out. Even people who are using LEDs as their main lights (like myself) are using T5s as supplemental lights. T5s have two strengths compared to LEDs: even coverage and no color separation. I don't think that there is any LED product right now that can match T5s in these two respects.

Honestly, you can go with either LED or T5 and be very successful. In my opinion though, I would say that T5 is a little easier because you can't screw it up (unless you're blasting corals with more light than they need--so get a dimmable fixture). With LEDs, you have to be aware of "hot spots" and shadowing (two reasons why a lot of people use T5s as supplemental lights to LEDs).

I hope this helps, and I hope more people share their experience. This is just mine, and there's a lot of wisdom out there. Good luck, and happy reefing!

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I created an LED only system for my Nano Cube 28g using parts from RapidLED, gluing the LEDs to the existing heat sink in the hood. Coral growth has been excellent, but this is primarily a softie and LPS reef, with only a couple of SPS corals. BRStv has some great lighting videos in their 52 weeks of reefing, and my take away from those supports what jbrady429 said - a hybrid T5/LED setup is pretty optimal since the T5s provide a very even light, and the manufacturers of the tubes have optimized the spectrum for you. With LEDs you get a lot of control over the spectrum and intensity, but it can take some homework to establish and setup a winning spectrum/intensity. Of course, if you go with a big name LED solution, there will likely be a lot of forum content to help out.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

So Ryan is actually in the process of updating all of our BRS recommended products by a variety of categories such as team pick, best value, etc., He and the CS team are reviewing categories each Friday during a lunch and learn and they haven't gotten to lighting yet - SO, LED is not intentionally the only recommended products!

When we did the BRS160, we evaluated a variety of lighting solutions and ultimately ended with a Kessil/T5 hybrid (see the video here for more info). Since then, there's a new-ish product on the market from Aquatic Life that allows you to easily combine your AI/EcoTech/Kessil LED's with a t5 unit. I would say that's our recommended product it just has not been updated with the burst!

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquarium-lighting/hybrid-lighting.html

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the Aquatic Life hybrid t/5 and kessils. Just purchased 2 mitras lx 7206. Yes they are expensive, but dang the difference is phenomenal! Very, very, very good lights!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had tanks over 40 years now started with MH then VHO then over driven T5s now LEDs love the LEDs so much less heat from them makes my AC work less
+1 not the 40 years yet;)

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a few months I’ll be at the 30 year mark if you count freshwater. I totally agree it is a truly liberating fact to say goodbye to the chiller. Way way less electrical usage and a side effect is being able to ditch some plumbing which allows smaller return pumps further reducing operating costs and no noise either! My new 180 system literally uses less than half the juice of what my 90 with halides did. I run it all off a single 15A circuit, draws only about 10A or so using 3 AI Hydra 52 HD’s.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have personally never had the same results with LEDs as I did my Radiums. Stopped into Vivid Aquariums today as well, and literally all of their frags are washed out and rather pathetic looking( I didn’t pay attention to their entire showroom floor but every fixture I saw was LED.) Gonna stick with my Radiums.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best results I"ve ever had were with a 400w Radium 20k. After that - T5. T5 grow some really nice coral. I'm all LED now due to convenience and low operating cost. Nothing like the aforementioned lights but its very functional and economical.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS rated orphek lighting very high for led only and kessil with t5 hybrid very high. I use the T5 aquatic life hybrid with 2 radion gen 3 pro with diffuser and am getting great growth and color in my mixed reef. Much better than just the radions.

MissyTwitch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72A664EF-F0E7-4195-B9E4-1250CA863B2E.jpeg
Three year established 300g SPS tank. Great growth and coloring. Initially started with 4 gen4 radions, but went to 8 to help with Shadowing. Par top was 600, top level rocks 300-400, sand bed 200-250 par. I bought the new Orphek Atlantik v4 for the frag tank and it’s brought out a little more coloration to the sps, growth is about the same......but it’s just an observation not a controlled study.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back