Left over frozen food

CamG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
In my last tank, I had no problem feeding a complete frozen cube into the tank. However, I am setting up a nano this time with probably 2 small fish. I think a full cube will be way too much. Any ideas what to do with the rest of the cube after it's melted ?

Thanks,
Cam

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually I cover it with tankwater and it'll keep as long as it's refrigerated. Mysis usually 3 days. Cyclopeeze a week. Roe a week. Reef frenzy 2 days.

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually I cover it with tankwater and it'll keep as long as it's refrigerated. Mysis usually 3 days. Cyclopeeze a week. Roe a week. Reef frenzy 2 days.
Thawed seafood degrades in quality, nutritional value, and spoils quite rapidly, even if refrigerated. For example, for your own consumption, would you take a fish fillet out of the freezer, cook half of it, put the remaining thawed half on a plate and put it in the refrigerator? If so, would you come back in 3 to 7 days and feed it to your kids? Probably not.
Frozen foods need to be eaten promptly after being defrosted and should not be stored in the refrigerator for later use.

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put one cube in a small water bottle, then mix in a few ounces of tank water. Feed what i need, then refrigerate the rest. It will last a couple days if you keep it refrigerated

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to 2 days may be fine in the refrigerator but after that ammonia will start to be released. It's like using a dead shrimp to start the cycle in a new tank.

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to 2 days may be fine in the refrigerator but after that ammonia will start to be released. It's like using a dead shrimp to start the cycle in a new tank.
Make sure you smell it before you feed also. If it smells really fishy, throw it away.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the frozen food doesn't have preservatives in it. I've had it last 2 days in the refrigerator, but i wouldn't keep it longer then that.

Really? So I've been feeding my fishs junk all this time. I usually go 3 days or more.

Fishs still looks heathy, tank's still clean.

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? So I've been feeding my fishs junk all this time. I usually go 3 days or more.

Fishs still looks heathy, tank's still clean.
You could eat vegetables that were half rotten and they probably wouldn't kill you or even make you sick, but many of the nutrients would be gone, and I doubt you would like the taste. You would still eat it if that was all that was available.

Willcar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thaw the cube in a small cup and place in the fridge. the mysis works well with that, and very fresh

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a fine grater, you can just grate what you need off the cube and leave the rest frozen for next time. At the least, you'll get two uses out of a single cube and no storage time issue.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thaw the cube in a small cup and place in the fridge. the mysis works well with that, and very fresh

Same but mine takes a couple days worth.
Some of us with smaller tanks don't have a lot to feed and just a single cube is a lot. I raise mines and after thawing with ro water. This helps to keep it fresh for longer imo.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back