Left tank for husband to take care of...

Reflective

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took a last minute trip to go stay with my parents in CO for a bit, and what happens? Record rainfall and crazy power outages in San Diego where my fish tank is.
I feel I have doomed my tank by leaving.
My poor husband is driving around trying to find extra battery backups as the one I had already ran out. And an inverter so he can somehow charge this new battery backup. All while I am also reminding/begging him to dump bowlfuls of tank water back into the tank so there is some oxygen.
:(
Hope they fix the electricity soon!!!!!

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run a without power as long as you have some water movement and air exchange, so a battery back will help. You can also grab tank water and pour it back into the DT to and air to the water... if you find an inverter run a power-core to a powerhead will also help.

Sorry, I see that you have him doing some of the things I recommended (teach me to speed read).

Last edited:

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about lights I have gone as long as 3days in the dark but, you might consider turning down the photo period a few hours when the power is back on.

Last edited:

bdoggca2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was your husband able to find an inverter? I live in San Marcos if he needs to borrow one PM me and he can pick it up... Gotta keep the reef running, also have him plug only the power head in to the backups, keep the water in the tank moving.. That's the best bet to keeping...

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battery air pumps work also they're better then nothing by far. I've kept tank alive for 4 days without power only lost was our kole tang. Ran red neck power, battery from my truck with a inverter and battery charger hooked up to recharge battery as it drained. It ran powerheads for little bit couple times a day with the t5. But ran about 20 hours a day on just the battery air pumps.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no!!! :( I recently went through something similar, except I was home when it happened. I didn't have a generator but I had an inverter. I got the inverter at Walmart. You can also get some battery operated air pumps there.

OP
OP
Reflective

Reflective

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the power came back on after about 6 hours. Hopefully nothing got too stressed out. He was able to get an inverter and another ups at Best Buy to run the pump for the last 2 hours. Before that he was just dumping tank water back into the tank.
Thanks for all the help and advice! He said everything was alive when he went to bed, so we will see when he wakes up this morning how everything is. I should have installed a camera on my APEX too!
I was/am on sdreefs. It seemed to be down for a while though so I hadn't been to it in a month or so. Glad to see it is back up!

OP
OP
Reflective

Reflective

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or maybe it's my computer not letting me access sdreefs.com? I was able to see it last night, but this morning it's the same error I've been seeing for a while:
This webpage is not available

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

Does it on Chrome and Firefox it says server not found.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or maybe it's my computer not letting me access sdreefs.com? I was able to see it last night, but this morning it's the same error I've been seeing for a while:
This webpage is not available

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

Does it on Chrome and Firefox it says server not found.
I can't access the site... Do you know Chad Rogers it's registered under his name.
http://whois.domaintools.com/sdreefs.com
Registrant Name: Chad Rogers
Registrant Organization: San Diego Reefs

Scolacanthop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you fishes, and others are ok. Yeah power was out in some area in San Diego. Luckily, not my area!!! This help me to prepair for future!!!

Scolacanthop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was your husband able to find an inverter? I live in San Marcos if he needs to borrow one PM me and he can pick it up... Gotta keep the reef running, also have him plug only the power head in to the backups, keep the water in the tank moving.. That's the best bet to keeping...
You are very helpful. Glad that you live in same area!!!

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 48 59.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back