Crow's reefer s1000 g2

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at my profile I had a reefer 175 or something--my first saltwater aquarium--and I loved it and wish I could still be updating that thread. I did something new almost every day either to improve it or in theory crafting improvements and reviewing studies to remind myself I still have a lot to learn.

Problems we have in this industry are many and thankfully the reasoning for my losing that tank(but not entirely) are rare.

I went on a cruise just a short weekend with my family and best friends family and came back to a nightmare.

There was a sewage backup that flooded the house. Both of my fishtanks were fine other than my fresh tank needing a new stand for having been subjected to sewage backup. Thankfully the reefer had the high ground but still required being moved while the entire interior of the house was ripped apart and re built.

Unfortunately I didn't have many options other than storing it in the garage while the house was essentially condemned torn down sanitized and rebuilt. For the entirety of summer while living out of a hotel for almost 6 months(got Hilton diamond status from insurance but frankly it doesn't equate to much at all if anyone was wondering hotel brand are **** these days but the staff I had to live with thankfully were everything I could ever want from neighbors if I was home--that hotel was fantastic from top to bottom! Not naming cause not being paid. Simple as)

Throughout I knew/expected death and a restart of my tank(at this time 10/20/23) still my main tank thread in profile.

I had some extra savings and because house was being renovated decided to get rid of my freshwater tank that was sure to die(125g held up pretty well ended up gifting to mover in hopes to preserve the fully grown discus and angels and survived the summer)

Anyway long story short. I moved back home rough 6 weeks ago after the rebuild was finished and as the title suggests I had this new tank to get started on.

I have been waiting to start a thread as I was wanting water in at least first but can't contain my excitement!

I'm waiting for black Friday time range expecting some sort of deal on a couple of neptune and ecotek pumps a larger skimmer(leaning toward reef octopus but open to suggestions!)

But she is setup all but the doors. Heaters in reef mat 1200 is in socks are thrown to street where they belong and I still need to clean some styrophome shipping bits but in no rush sadly as I am waiting for the rest of the life line.

Do have about 360 pounds of sand sitting in my closet waiting and 450 pounds of marco rock to smash and glue back together for the scape just dont want to do that in 90F temps so if temps stay doen updates on scape will come quick.

I know every time I have searched for anything s1000 related results are never about an s1000 and that's ultimately why I've start this slow but planned very frequent updated thread.

And yes I've seen many claim this to be their dream tank and while I don't agree as mine would be bigger... this tank is in my bedroom so it's as dreamy as I could get.

I will give a small update tomorrow with a picture or two am not planning on doing a unpacking and build photo dump. So if you're looking for that I am sorry I hired a local crew to help and with respect to their privacy I won't be posting that.

That said am willing to answer questions and take advice about any and every aspect of the tank.

Who made it through the title all excited only to read everything and get disappointed? Enjoy the roller coaster! Yeah it was a terrible first world(hard to not think about everyone in the world who still don't have plumbing...)

I want to say because I see so many try to live vicariously through others. I will do my very best to post some update to the tank no matter how small every day that a reply is posted.

In other words I am begging everyone on this site not to make me famous, but to keep me on my toes(ask what a parameter is today to make me test it incase I didn't for example) in protecting the livestock and encouraging others in and learning not the hobby this isn't a hobby. It's an ecosystem and the basis of which we ended up where we are.

I cannot wait to share this trip this experience with all of you!
IMG_20231016_214828.jpg

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry to hear about all the issues you went through. The S1000 should be an excellent tank for you. I really enjoy my 3XL900.

OP
OP
C

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your empathy, especially as and it has made me aware this post may come across wrong. The story is not meant for sympathy. It's a $7000 base priced build thread. So I just want to preemptively attempting to say from this point to that point, the story was included not for the woe is me but for the don't give up on your dreams narative.

I honestly am scared I won't be able to support this narrative. Its more than twice as big as my biggest fresh tank and 5 times bigger than the only salt tank ive kept and only did that for 17? Months before thr disaster. I make okay money but reefing is expensive! I am single with no kids so that helps. But I am budgeting this tank as if I'm raising 2 kids with a stay at home mom and putting them through college. That's not a joke. That's my plan for success.

Thank you again and to everyone else I am sorry if the original post came across in any way as woe as me rather than adversity be danged this has created an opportunity for me to realize a life long dream and I will see it realized!

TL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built out an S-1000 when they were first released. Ended up being $20k all in, including mixing station, test kits, calcRX, etc. I have a thread out there on it that I need to update soon.

It's going in your bedroom? First floor I hope?

OP
OP
C

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built out an S-1000 when they were first released. Ended up being $20k all in, including mixing station, test kits, calcRX, etc. I have a thread out there on it that I need to update soon.

Yes, I can't do stairs and didn't want it anywhere but my bedroom so that I can enjoy it most. One of the problems with this is I also cannot sleep without the TV on. So I ordered tonight actually a ceiling mounting motorized curtain track that will wrap around a portion of the tank and shield it from the the light and sound of the TV after lights out but also allow me to enjoy the nocturnal from bed. Hoping to ultimately transition to sleeping with TV off and some white noise such as ocean waves.

I have a lots of pictures and need to do an update but have been so busy with work and getting the final bits in place.

It's up and running cycled and showing Coralie growth. Mt first reef tank I used dry Marcos rock so that took forever!

I'm having issues with the apex on my old tank so once tank was cycled I dropped its salinity to match and hot swapped "most" of the livestock and a few pieces of rock I don't intend to keep in the new tank but offers a home to the fish and shrimp that got moved over.

I have 450 pounds of rock played out on my porch I have just been trying to find the time to smash and glue back together and move into the tank.

Once the rock is in there will be massive update to include all the kit pictures for the process, stock list, road map and so forth. The problem is the intricate plan I have for the rock. Will get into that in near future as I'll have more weekend time over the next 2 weeks and hoping to get a majority done by then.

Until then I'll throw in some teasers. I also posted a video last night of my foxface finally recovering from the net trip from old tank to this one and living life to the fullest! I don't want to link to it and hopefully the NFL won't demand its removal but it's also the point I had a revelation to shield the tank from the TV.

Attachments

• IMG_20231215_210900.jpg
    IMG_20231215_210900.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20231206_182506.jpg
    IMG_20231206_182506.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
C

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I forgot to add in first reply. Please do keep updating! I'm absolutely going to check it out shortly!

OP
OP
C

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, and amazing timing you have! As you were writing that question I was unboxing a shipment of fish!

Circumstances has slowed progression on the tank to a bloody crawl. I've only been able to complete 2 of my 3 big rock pieces due to work illness and weather...have to build them outside and has rained or been too cold for me to be bothered(very rare for me to be too cold in Florida.... i spent a week in the snow in Utah loving the snow in shorts in this same timeframe) every single day off I've had that I've been home since I've gotten the tank it seems.

I'm hoping to have the last "major" rock piece done and in the tank this weekend. I hope... once that piece is in I will be posting a massive update!

I'm tempted to list off the fish I have in it so far(there are 11) 8 added today but 2 I received I'm unsure are going to make it--1 seems to be recovering well even eating from veg clips the other(the biggest fish in the tank he is) seems to be for a moment before retreating like a young child with a nasty nasty belly ache.

Definitely a BIG update coming soon and can't wait to see/hear opinions on the rockscape!

Don't want to be rude and not at least leave a teaser so I will with a big thank you to the company who made these lids-i forget rules so not naming just in case and to not sound sponsored... I love these, they fit perfect and make for great access into the tank without opening up more than I can see/safety manage.

Attachments

• IMG_20240117_185643.jpg
    IMG_20240117_185643.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20240117_184711.jpg
    IMG_20240117_184711.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
C

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I have intentionally left the do not lift from euro bracing stickers(seen in first picture last post) on because at a glance they remind me of warning signs at aquarium parks and I just liked the look.

TL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to the update... lid looks good... I've debated getting one for some time, but "if it's not broke, don't fix it" keeps preventing me.

OP
OP
C

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to the update... lid looks good... I've debated getting one for some time, but "if it's not broke, don't fix it" keeps preventing me.
Unfortunately taking off work Friday to receive fish ultimately meant to a guilt trip to work Sunday for further delays.

Don't regret though as it also meant properly getting my ip camera live stream setup on a small cheap tablet on my office desk. Don't think the camera is suitable for a public live stream but definitely plan on looking into in the future.

Meanwhile so as to not be made a complete liar... here's at least a small update via 2 photos and a current stock list. Mind the rock in the pic is done now but not in tank. In pic is in-progress, its also only about 20% complete at that time-maybe less-chose it over others for the swanky dog booty.

Hard finding pictures that aren't giving too much of the rockscape away, want scape reveal to at least have this one in tank before full reveal while noting more smaller additions will come in the weeks after and highlighted in future posts.

Stock(by age of ownership)
2 gladiator clowns
1 one spot foxface
1 yellow tang
1 naso tang
3 powder blue tangs
1 powder brown tang
1 sailfin tang(spec to be named later as I can't be bothered to look it up)
1 achillies tang

1 Sherman red or whatever it's called anemone I got at a steal and has been in tank since start of month 3??? Don't quote me on that-just know it was VERY early by nem talkers and maybe days after tank was cycled and moved first fish over from previous tank. But hasn't moved hasn't done anything but be small and also look like it's doing better and better every day. Not expecting but monitoring and very curious!

1 yellow watchman goby from previous tank would be under foxface above(currently still in old tank awaiting next rock placement so he doesn't get squished and moving over hopefully very soon with his shrimp buddy)

Stock plans for future.... that's part of scape reveal. Not making any promises this time, my nature of work keeps be busy early months but definite definitely soon as my excitement to be ready to make that update can only be contained so much longer!

Attachments

• IMG_20240301_175926.jpg
    IMG_20240301_175926.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20240301_170543.jpg
    IMG_20240301_170543.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
C

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention! I hope you have at least some covering? When I finished cycled this tank I moved over a few fish and my favorite of the lot jumped the next night. I was devestated! I put all stocking on hold until I got that custom lid order in as I've tried and seen others muck about with cheaper solutions and to each their own I just hope everyone protects their investment and really wish everything in this hobby was more affordable and accessible to more people!

TL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately taking off work Friday to receive fish ultimately meant to a guilt trip to work Sunday for further delays.

Don't regret though as it also meant properly getting my ip camera live stream setup on a small cheap tablet on my office desk. Don't think the camera is suitable for a public live stream but definitely plan on looking into in the future.

Meanwhile so as to not be made a complete liar... here's at least a small update via 2 photos and a current stock list. Mind the rock in the pic is done now but not in tank. In pic is in-progress, its also only about 20% complete at that time-maybe less-chose it over others for the swanky dog booty.

Hard finding pictures that aren't giving too much of the rockscape away, want scape reveal to at least have this one in tank before full reveal while noting more smaller additions will come in the weeks after and highlighted in future posts.

Stock(by age of ownership)
2 gladiator clowns
1 one spot foxface
1 yellow tang
1 naso tang
3 powder blue tangs
1 powder brown tang
1 sailfin tang(spec to be named later as I can't be bothered to look it up)
1 achillies tang

1 Sherman red or whatever it's called anemone I got at a steal and has been in tank since start of month 3??? Don't quote me on that-just know it was VERY early by nem talkers and maybe days after tank was cycled and moved first fish over from previous tank. But hasn't moved hasn't done anything but be small and also look like it's doing better and better every day. Not expecting but monitoring and very curious!

1 yellow watchman goby from previous tank would be under foxface above(currently still in old tank awaiting next rock placement so he doesn't get squished and moving over hopefully very soon with his shrimp buddy)

Stock plans for future.... that's part of scape reveal. Not making any promises this time, my nature of work keeps be busy early months but definite definitely soon as my excitement to be ready to make that update can only be contained so much longer!

Great stock list! Any issues with aggression? ...I have the RedSea lid. I don't love it, but it works for now. Salt creep is annoying on it... I would consider upgrading if i knew salt creep would be alleviated, but I'm pretty sure that's going to be present, regardless.

OP
OP
C

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggression was a no for first few days. Am having issues now though and trying to brainstorm. While prepping new rock. It was supposed to go in last night but it broke on me while lifting(helper lifted forward not up and torqued all the joints. So am re engineering)

In the meantime I've been watching the tank left along after prep for new rock( sand raked away and light removed) and I'm seeing something that makes me want to start another long tank with in mind.

With this picture I am spoiling more than I'd like but this open dark space(not even that dark as center light obviously bleeds) but the nature of the tank is so much more real

You can see in swim patterns how they treat it as the stepping stone toward open unsafe waters.

And if I don't end up buying another tank in the near future to scape specifically for this phenomenon I will escape this tank in the future based on this concept...

I'm amazed I've never seen anyone do this... I am struggling putting my new rock work in wanting to leave a dead third

Attachments

• IMG_20240309_105628.jpg
    IMG_20240309_105628.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 21

TL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggression was a no for first few days. Am having issues now though and trying to brainstorm. While prepping new rock. It was supposed to go in last night but it broke on me while lifting(helper lifted forward not up and torqued all the joints. So am re engineering)

In the meantime I've been watching the tank left along after prep for new rock( sand raked away and light removed) and I'm seeing something that makes me want to start another long tank with in mind.

With this picture I am spoiling more than I'd like but this open dark space(not even that dark as center light obviously bleeds) but the nature of the tank is so much more real

You can see in swim patterns how they treat it as the stepping stone toward open unsafe waters.

And if I don't end up buying another tank in the near future to scape specifically for this phenomenon I will escape this tank in the future based on this concept...

I'm amazed I've never seen anyone do this... I am struggling putting my new rock work in wanting to leave a dead third

A solid teaser! I like the dead third idea, and the somewhat minimalist approach to rock work... I admittedly went all in with the rockwork on my tank. I'm not dissatisfied, but there's always room for improvement, lol.

OP
OP
C

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little cloudy current state. Went to put a rock I'd been working on and it broke in lifting(after multiple lift and stress tests it waited until it was right next to the glass-managed to keep it from touching glass thankfully)

The rock on left was a piece stayed intact so I put it in made some adjustments hoping to go in 2 pieces.... other part broke up on trying to get it in. So heartbreaking weekend and still a work in progress

The rock would have taken about that whole 3rd up see attached(RIP that fun idea--brainstorming a rebuild currently)
1000002655.jpg
1000002653.jpg

1000002748.jpg

OP
OP
C

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scape is about 85% done now. It's a little cloudy from adding the rock into left side. Heading to the lfs tomorrow to pick up some frags and inverts. So should have a good update tomorrow

Attachments

• IMG_20240316_192856.jpg
    IMG_20240316_192856.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 16

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back