Lemon peel (coral killers)?

mushroom_dude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about adding a lemon peel angel to my dt once I get that up and going.

Reef safe with caution or no lemon peel at all?

Mushrooms zoas some lps

I apologize if this has been discussed before.

31AE7250-969A-40D2-B79C-270D81D52068.jpeg

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Red Striped (Eibli) angel. Reef Safe with Caution. HAHA, no more Reef Safe with caution angels for me. It loved zoas, acros, stylos and gorgonians. Fortunately they all came back when I removed him.
Now I have a female Japanese Swallowtail Angel. She hasn't touched any corals at all.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Red Striped (Eibli) angel. Reef Safe with Caution. HAHA, no more Reef Safe with caution angels for me. It loved zoas, acros, stylos and gorgonians. Fortunately they all came back when I removed him.
Now I have a female Japanese Swallowtail Angel. She hasn't touched any corals at all.
I just added an Eibli. So far it's completely ignored all the corals. Knock on wood...

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added an Eibli. So far it's completely ignored all the corals. Knock on wood...
Good luck! Took mine a couple mos. Really liked him too, but he started feasting.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You take your chances with these. I had a lemonpeel for years with SPS, LPS, mushrooms, and anemones with no issues (also some big green palys but no zoas). However as I understand they are often not so well behaved and so I have not tried another.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to add a lemonpeel once. Within 15 minutes of acclimation in the tank it happily started eating and nice acan colony. Havent tried a Centropyge angel since

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a difficult question to answer because every fish is different as is every display. Onus is on the hobbyist to make that decision on what is an acceptable risk that they are willing to take. If it is accepted then what mitigation plan is in place for safe (both fish and hobbyist) removal. Things to consider is reef size, established or not, fish in display, size of fish to be removed, etc. All stressors to both animals and aquarist...go figure.

There are captive bred now from Biota that may be worth considering. Start small, young, feed heavy a variety of foods, may be a safer play. Wild, well, survival of the fittest so probably not going to change it much. Ease of food availability or not.

I introduced both a pyramid and zosters butterfly. I figured some of my soft corals are at risk. I moved some small frags I created to the refugium for a back up plan. Probably was wise, or I was lucky, because they both went to town on Xenia. Cleared out the entire display within 20 days. And I had a lot. I figured it was worth the risk and I had a backup plan to move it elsewhere or reintroduce at a later time.

If you really want to give it a go I'd recommend captive bred. Feed often. I mean often (I personally feed every hour pellet via a auto feeder). Feed quality frozen at night such as LRS reef, coral, and nano. Mysis, brine, etc. Full belly may help. Just saying.

Beautiful fish. Be prepared. Have a backup plan. All the best.

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a hit or miss. I have one and when I first got it, it was nipping on my purple stylo for a good month. Then suddenly, it stopped it doesn’t touch any of my corals at all. So, if u are thinking of getting one be prepared.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans and blastos (for whatever reason) seem particularly attractive to dwarf angels. I have no idea why, but I've literally (no exaggeration) watched one devour them right in front of me. Doughnut corals and cat's eyes are also a no-go for the same reason. On the flip-side, they leave all my zoas, mushrooms, symphyllia, cyphastrea, favias and acros alone.

OP
OP
mushroom_dude

mushroom_dude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a difficult question to answer because every fish is different as is every display. Onus is on the hobbyist to make that decision on what is an acceptable risk that they are willing to take. If it is accepted then what mitigation plan is in place for safe (both fish and hobbyist) removal. Things to consider is reef size, established or not, fish in display, size of fish to be removed, etc. All stressors to both animals and aquarist...go figure.

There are captive bred now from Biota that may be worth considering. Start small, young, feed heavy a variety of foods, may be a safer play. Wild, well, survival of the fittest so probably not going to change it much. Ease of food availability or not.

I introduced both a pyramid and zosters butterfly. I figured some of my soft corals are at risk. I moved some small frags I created to the refugium for a back up plan. Probably was wise, or I was lucky, because they both went to town on Xenia. Cleared out the entire display within 20 days. And I had a lot. I figured it was worth the risk and I had a backup plan to move it elsewhere or reintroduce at a later time.

If you really want to give it a go I'd recommend captive bred. Feed often. I mean often (I personally feed every hour pellet via a auto feeder). Feed quality frozen at night such as LRS reef, coral, and nano. Mysis, brine, etc. Full belly may help. Just saying.

Beautiful fish. Be prepared. Have a backup plan. All the best.
Thank you for the in-depth response

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about adding a lemon peel angel to my dt once I get that up and going.

Reef safe with caution or no lemon peel at all?

Mushrooms zoas some lps

I apologize if this has been discussed before.

31AE7250-969A-40D2-B79C-270D81D52068.jpeg
With all angels I’d say do it knowing potential consequences. If you want the fish go for it, but just know you’ll have to be careful with what you add. I have 3 angels, a Tang, a Foxface, and a CBB in my tank. With these 6 RSWC fish I have to be careful with what corals I add so when I want a new coral I get a cheap version of that piece to try in the tank, if it works then great I’ll try the piece I like but if it didn’t work then I’ll avoid that coral altogether.

Zoas are a risk with all angels however mushrooms and certain LPS will generally be ignored. I have my Angels with small amounts of LPS and Mushrooms and they don’t care, instead my asterina stars have been taking the LPS out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%

Back