Leopard wrasse breathing heavy

SCReef'n

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard has been in through 2 rounds of GC in the water followed by 14 days of copper and food soaked in GC. After 14 days moved her to an entirely new set up. That was 4 days ago. I’m trying to up her salinity by topping off with salt water before putting her in the display. Came home today to find her breathing heavy but still eating and swimming actively when I approach the tank. Lights went out and rather than burying herself she is laying on the sand bed breathing heavy. She not overly fond of this sand bed it seems to be very compact and she has difficult time burying herself. Worried I missed something. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
SCReef'n

SCReef'n

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 75EC36F2-7B4D-4625-BF0E-9390565A2597.mov
    6.3 MB
Last edited:

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what's wrong, imagine a rapidly breathing leopard wrasse laying in the sand

To start with the basics have you tested for ammonia? How are you aerating the tank? Is there any meds in the water now? Was the fish infected with ich/velvet,etc?

ESAYARKAY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the videos. My suspicion is that it's the beginning of swim-bladder. They are extremely prone to it.
Another sing that is difficult for them is copper. They don't handle it well, at all. I don't want to say this because I don't want to scare you but I think most people who know wrasses and especially leopard wrasses , don't put them in Copper.
What I don't know is how to combat the effect of the copper. Maybe somebody here can guide you with that.

OP
OP
SCReef'n

SCReef'n

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been an ammonia alert badge in the tank since day 1, after 14 days the original one was replaced along with everything else. The current one reads no ammonia. I can double check with an API kit. This tank has only been running for 4 days. There are currently no meds in the water. I followed @HotRocks protocol for QT and had finished treating for internal and external parasites including 14 days in 1.75ppm copper. She has never shown any sign of disease but early on she laid around on the ground for a bit and then hid in the sand for a few day, eventually I just chalked it up to being a stressed out leopard wrasse. She has always been a good eater, and even earlier.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse lay around at times, that in and of itself isn’t too concerning. I can’t see the video but I’d check and ensure no equipment is electrocuting the water.

How is it’s belly? Full or thin or even pinched?

OP
OP
SCReef'n

SCReef'n

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No stray voltage, no ammonia per API or Salifert. Her stomach is full but she ate twice since about 5pm. I try and feed her often but only as much as she can eat. its the heavy breathing that's really unusual and is concerning me. She finally went beneath the sand but is only about half buried with her head exposed

OP
OP
SCReef'n

SCReef'n

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm second guessing my treatments but I was by the book the whole time. tested copper with Hanna checker daily to make sure it stayed therapeutic. I was so close to getting her into the display I'd hate to loose her now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I can see videos. Wrasse looks thin and somewhat weak. As 4Ford stated, check for voltage and also what filter are you using? water appears a little cloudy.
You said its eating - what are you feeding it? Do add garlic extract as well as vitamins to its' food but not at the same time.
What also is temp and salinity ?
I would if you can run a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test to compare with your readings and see what they come up with

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see videos. Wrasse looks thin and somewhat weak. As 4Ford stated, check for voltage and also what filter are you using? water appears a little cloudy.
You said its eating - what are you feeding it? Do add garlic extract as well as vitamins to its' food but not at the same time.
What also is temp and salinity ?
I would if you can run a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test to compare with your readings and see what they come up with
Cloudy water could be a bacterial bloom depleting O2 from the water

OP
OP
SCReef'n

SCReef'n

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always thought she looked thin, I feed LRS or Hikari mysis soaked in Silicon. Temp is 78 deg F and Salinity is 1.024. I've been bringing it up since Sunday by topping off with 1.026 salt water. LFS is closed at this point so if she makes it until tomorrow I'll try and get a second opinion on levels. I can do a water change with the water I've got made up if anyone thinks its worth a shot at this point.

OP
OP
SCReef'n

SCReef'n

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a HOB aqua clear and a powerhead pointing at the top. The water is a bit cloudy but honestly it doesn't look that bad to me. I have about 5 gal made up at 1.026 but I will dilute it down and try a water change.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always thought she looked thin, I feed LRS or Hikari mysis soaked in Silicon. Temp is 78 deg F and Salinity is 1.024. I've been bringing it up since Sunday by topping off with 1.026 salt water. LFS is closed at this point so if she makes it until tomorrow I'll try and get a second opinion on levels. I can do a water change with the water I've got made up if anyone thinks its worth a shot at this point.
A reasonably sized WC couldn’t hurt.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Water change yes and add carbon if you can

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They heavy breathing is a bit of a concern. The fact it's burrowed is good. The fact it's not completely burrowed is not completely abnormal for QT. Leopards are notorious for internal issues as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back