Leopard Wrasse eating sand?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zoajohn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Zoajohn

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 16, 2015
Messages
568
Reaction score
212
Location
Georgia
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve had a juvi black leopard wrasse for a few weeks now. This past week I noticed some stomach bloat which was odd. No white stringy poop or anything. Then I noticed it was pooping out sand, which is what I’d assume is causing the bloat. The wrasse is eating completely normal and shows no signs of disease or stress otherwise. Any reason why he would be eating sand?
 
yeah my halichoeres wrasses make sand clouds sometimes too. i had never seen worms or anything of the sort in my tank, but when i moved a rock i had on the sandbed all kinds of scary stuff was under there, the wrasses really appreciated the assist and promptly mowed them down
 
Ingesting sand can happen. It doesn't pose any issues.
 
It could just be build up of accidental sand ingestion from previous times. I wouldn't be concerned.
 
My nephew used to eat sand... they call that pica..
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new