Leopard Wrasse QT

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Choats leopard in QT that is almost done with TTM. He hasn't eaten yet in 10 days because it just hides in the sand. Should I worry yet? I wake him up sometimes but doesnt eat and just freaks out

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should never wake a sleeping wrasse from its resting place in the sand.
While not eating is not a good sign, it’s isn’t the end of the world. I’ve heard of leopards hiding for upwards of a month at first and ending up being okay.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is probably just stressed from TTM. Once out of Qt mine hid for another week. I was sure it was dead, but then one day he was there swimming with the other fish as if he had always been there. I remember being shocked how well he looked and started eating Mysis right away. Hope you have the same luck.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be doing TTM on a leopard, particularly a choati (probably the most delicate of the leopards). I always let them settle into an appropriate QT tank, get them feeding, and then see if any kind of treatment is necessary. Leopards are on the more resistant end of the ich spectrum; though they are prone to worms.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Leopards, the biggest thing is literally picking the right fish. If it's healthy and active and feeding for several weeks at your LFS then it's likely a hardy and adaptable one, if not, good luck keeping it alive. I used this method with my Blue Star Leopard and it seems to be working well.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you should be worried, even the most difficult to feed fish should be eating within a few days. Leopard wrasses many times come in with internal parasites and are difficult to eat from the water column. An immediate dose of prazi pro to alleviate any lesser parasites and feeding the tank with pods and live brine shrimp. Live black worms and even small live ghost shrimp. Once he's eating live, you can mix in frozen brine and mysis with live brine shrimp.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back