Leopard wrasse with melanurus?

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Ornate Leopard Wrasse and a Christmas Wrasse in my 48 gal. The leopard wrasse eats frozen food, pellets and flakes just like the Christmas Wrasse. No issues at all between the two fish.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not worth it. Mine was a pain in the butt. Eventually lost it. It only ate live brine shrimp and had to be fed 3-4x a day.

I wouldn't buy one unless I could see it eat. I asked my LFS to feed mine before I bought it and it ate frozen well. Now that I've had it, it eats frozen and flake. That was about 7 months ago and it's grown considerably.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not worth it. Mine was a pain in the butt. Eventually lost it. It only ate live brine shrimp and had to be fed 3-4x a day.
Counting over the last few years, I tried to get Leopard establish in my tank and only bat 50%. The ones that live are wonderful. I have Black leopard and Meleagris leopards in my tank. Fortunately the two males tolerate each other well, no problem.
These guys are one of my favorite fish.

Female and male Black Leopard
BlackLeopardWrasse2019041801.jpg

BlackLeopardWrasse2020040403Male.jpg

Female and male Meleagris Leopard
MeleagrisLeopard2020042902S.jpg

MeleagrisLeopard2020071807Male.jpg

Last edited:

Arlen nemeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't buy one unless I could see it eat. I asked my LFS to feed mine before I bought it and it ate frozen well. Now that I've had it, it eats frozen and flake. That was about 7 months ago and it's grown considerably.
Thats my plan also how fast has urs grown some only say a quarter inch a year

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say my bluestar has grown 1-1.5 inches over the last two years and has gained considerable 'bulk'.

I purposely avoided buying a melanurus to mix with my wrasse/leopards as they seem to have a bigger chance of becoming jerks.

I feed 3-6 times a day and live black worms for at least one of those meals. So be sure your filtration can handle that.

All my wrasse (except the yellow coris, which has remained smaller for whatever reason) are on their way to outgrowing my 80g. I would say I will get about 1.5-2 years out of the 80 and am looking into a 6 ft 200g. Hopefully that will be big enough for them to live out their lives.

I have always had a large fuge but leopards hunt all day when they are awake. I would get them eating live worms, fresh live clam, LRS, masstick and so on. I don't even consider pods as part of the equation at this point. They ate every single feather duster too.

All my wrasses eat anything at this point. If I put in hot red pepper flakes, they would try and eat em. They are too trusting ;)

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats my plan also how fast has urs grown some only say a quarter inch a year
My black Leopards were small when I first got them, only about 1.75 inches. She reach full size, at 3 inches in about 1 year, and turn male in about 3 months after that. My Meleagris also started out at about 1.75 inches or so and grow faster, get larger, to about 3.5 inches is about that same time and turn male at about 1.5 year.

Arlen nemeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My black Leopards were small when I first got them, only about 1.75 inches. She reach full size, at 3 inches in about 1 year, and turn male in about 3 months after that. My Meleagris also started out at about 1.75 inches or so and grow faster, get larger, to about 3.5 inches is about that same time and turn male at about 1.5 year.
And how much do u feed them? That depends too

Firedawg1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue star and melanarus together along with 4-5 other wrasses. No issues in my Red Sea reefer 625XXL. Melanarus is the alpha but doesn’t really get aggressive. Everyone is fed very well

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 101 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back