jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jeremy.gosnell submitted a new Article:

Lessons from the Eco Aqualizer

ECO-Aqualizer.jpg
All images are public domain photos uploaded to social media. They're used here under fair use, meaning they best illustrate the subject matter.

One product is still discussed in the dark corridors of marine aquaria and mention of it is sure to bring disdain from anyone who flushed hundreds of dollars, believing they were getting something miraculous. The story of this product is filled with frivolous lawsuits, strange...

Read more about this article here...

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeremy,
Do you do any fact checking before you write or do you just shoot from the hip? If you are going to right for a forum like R2R, you have to know that there are those of us that will fact check. Considering you are a science fiction writer, should I guess that method of writing should be expected from you?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greg I wish more people at the time questioned the eco aqualizer. There many items in the hobby today of similar claims.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the inventor of the EA is from my city

once called him up out of the blue off listings # in about 2004 and must admit he was intelligent guy on phone

I've bashed on them too for aquarium use
The ea is being used in hot tub filtration more than aquariums now

I wonder how the oxydator would stand up to same scrutiny above, they're popular

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeremy,
Do you do any fact checking before you write or do you just shoot from the hip? If you are going to right for a forum like R2R, you have to know that there are those of us that will fact check. Considering you are a science fiction writer, should I guess that method of writing should be expected from you?
Just curious, and I haven't fact checked the article.
I was around when all of this was going down. From reading over the article, it seems to be accurate. Can you share with us what parts of the article you feel may warrant fact checking?
Again, just curious.
Peace
EC

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, and I haven't fact checked the article.
I was around when all of this was going down. From reading over the article, it seems to be accurate. Can you share with us what parts of the article you feel may warrant fact checking?
Again, just curious.
Peace
EC
just reread the article and the fiction has been removed. He even added a bit to take a shot at me but hey, haters gonna hate!

Last edited:

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just figure since he's on award-winning fiction writer it would be nice if he confirmed what we are reading might be fiction as well.

OP
OP
jeremy.gosnell

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just figure since he's on award-winning fiction writer it would be nice if he confirmed what we are reading might be fiction as well.
You have tried (and failed miserably) to deconstruct multiple articles I have written. Not long ago, you insinuated that I didn't own, therefore test or use, the Kessil AP700 light fixture. You demanded pictures as proof I actually owned the fixture, which I provided. You were very upset that I questioned the Vertex Cerebra and insinuated there that I somehow worked for Apex, in an effort to discredit Vertex's product. I would like to know what contributions you have made to the hobby which you feel makes you the standard bearer of fact in the reef aquarium hobby? The "fiction" you're referring to amounts to less than two short sentences, simply used to illustrate the fallout from over zealous product claims. You are taking a multi-paragraph Facebook rant (from the aquarist himself) as proof that I was totally wrong in what I stated in those two short sentences. I haven't seen credible fact checking from you in any of your attempts to discredit content in my articles. If you, like many, are armchair editors, I imagine your recourse to fact check is a google source, wikipedia article and Facebook message.

Out of common courtesy I have entertained your attempts to be something more than a common reef2reef user. I am done, as it's simply a waste of time playing into your psuedo-conspiracy theory style of commenting. You appear to me to have more than enough free time on your hands and I imagine it could be better spent tending to your aquarium, rather than trying to come up with ways to discredit writers online. Perhaps if you have such ironclad access to sheer fact and such a sharp written wit, you can begin composing articles and submitting them to various publications.

OP
OP
jeremy.gosnell

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The EA's creator became interested in the purifying properties of magnets because his brother was struggling with terminal cancer. When traditional pain medication didn't work, he sought alternative medicines. By trade, the device's creator was an accountant. His brother reported pain relief via the use of various forms of rare Earth magnets. EA's creator was an aquarist and began playing with the idea that magnets could have an effect on aquarium water quality. I had a long conversation with an aquarist who worked with the Houston Zoo and eventually EA. The device was brought to the zoo for testing, and given the green light for testing by the zoo's curator. During the course of testing, the Eco Equalizer was found to have no effect on water quality whatsoever. These units were assembled in a condo in Texas. The EA's claims were very similar to claims of structured water and are claims that exist in the realm of fringe science. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's all hogwash, but at this point it's not something that can be utilized to have the effect advertised, or desired by aquarists.

Aaron Stone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the article Jeremy, I feel that it is a good lesson to be learned. Not sure why gcarroll seems to have it out for you, but I would say let the child have his playground antics and just ignore him. I have found your articles to be a constructive addition to reef2reef and look forward to the next one.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sanjay Joshi and Richard Ross presented "The Silver Bullet" topic at Macna 2016. One of the examples they used was the Eco Aqualizer and that was very much like the article Jeremy wrote if you click on the link. They provided evidence to show the Eco Aqualizer does not do or have any effect on the health of the aquarium. It was a very fun and convincing presentation.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have tried (and failed miserably) to deconstruct multiple articles I have written. Not long ago, you insinuated that I didn't own, therefore test or use, the Kessil AP700 light fixture. You demanded pictures as proof I actually owned the fixture, which I provided. You were very upset that I questioned the Vertex Cerebra and insinuated there that I somehow worked for Apex, in an effort to discredit Vertex's product. I would like to know what contributions you have made to the hobby which you feel makes you the standard bearer of fact in the reef aquarium hobby? The "fiction" you're referring to amounts to less than two short sentences, simply used to illustrate the fallout from over zealous product claims. You are taking a multi-paragraph Facebook rant (from the aquarist himself) as proof that I was totally wrong in what I stated in those two short sentences. I haven't seen credible fact checking from you in any of your attempts to discredit content in my articles. If you, like many, are armchair editors, I imagine your recourse to fact check is a google source, wikipedia article and Facebook message.

Out of common courtesy I have entertained your attempts to be something more than a common reef2reef user. I am done, as it's simply a waste of time playing into your psuedo-conspiracy theory style of commenting. You appear to me to have more than enough free time on your hands and I imagine it could be better spent tending to your aquarium, rather than trying to come up with ways to discredit writers online. Perhaps if you have such ironclad access to sheer fact and such a sharp written wit, you can begin composing articles and submitting them to various publications.

I read all ur stuff in fact I look forward to ur next article. Some of the stuff u wrote about I know nothing about as I am only been reefing for a short while. Please don't let people like the child above waste any of ur time. He's not worth the energy. Some people just get happy about making other people angry. Also in the one post u had when the child above and his cronies were bashing u there was someone that said they sent u information or something like that and u said u hadn't gotten it. Well it was a person who just created an account and it was his only post. He was acting like he was a manger from a company and was bad mouthing u. I forget which product it was for but i just wanted to let u know that it was one of the haters playing a trick on u.
Ur a great member of this reefer society and I am happy as I am sure many others are that u contribute to this site. Don't let the child above get under ur skin everyone knows that he is just that a child.

Please keep ur informative articles coming. As I can't wait to read them

Thanks
Justin

Ps if the child above did any research he would have seen that u bashed apex after u almost lost it tank because it malfunctioned with ur doseing. But like all children he only sees and believes what he wants to. Keep up the great work just rember for that one child that always tries to put u down there are thousands of us that appreciate what u do. Igore him and u will take away his power he thinks he has. Then he will have nothing better to do except clean his room that's in his moms house.

Last edited:

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the new comers to the forum/reef hobby, Greg, gcarrol, is a very well known and respected reefer. He has been in this hobby for a long time and is very knowledgeable. Even I disagree with him in this subject, he still has my respect. And please keep the name calling at home! It is not appreciated here.

Last edited:

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the new comers to the forum/reef hobby, Greg, gcarrol, is a very well known and respected reefer. He has been in this hobby for a long time and very knowledgeable. Even I disagree with him in this subject, he still has my respect. And please keep the name calling at home! It is not appreciated here.

But always bashing Jeremy's opinions and thoughts is? I don't know either of them personally but I know that someone who continually bashes someone's ideas and thoughts with no evidence or proof shouldn't be respected no matter how knowledgeable he or she is.

I've been on this site for six months the only thing I have seen mr carol do or offer this website is belittlement to Jeremy while Jeremy has countless articles and has helped everyone he can on here with his knowledge and has gained my respect.

So I am a new comer to this place and I am going to have to disagree. Just look into carols past post. For someone with which great accolades that u have said about him should contribute more then bashing someone like Jeremy. To me that's not appreciated. Every thread that has informative information with good talking and ideas flowing thru it and then has someone come out of the blue calling him a liar with no proof abruptly ending the thread is not appreciated.

And Calling someone the way they are acting isn't name calling it's called the truth.

OP
OP
jeremy.gosnell

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever reason, gcarrol has consistently second guessed, questioned and degraded the content of my articles and now goes as far as to wage personal attacks on me directly, by insinuating that I made false, out of context remarks about the Vertex Cerebra and the comparison I made in this most recent article. The only reason I don't disclose to Mr. Caroll as to why the information I originally posted is valid, is because David Hammondtree and I both agreed that bringing the issue up further was not pertinent to the content, nor necessary. Together, we came to the same conclusion about the Vertex Cerebra, largely because it was breeding tremendous negativity on the forums and stifling more progressive discussion.

gcarroll may be a respected reef keeper, however in over 20 years of keeping marine/reef tanks and writing for a bevy of national and international publications, I have never heard of him. Accusations like the ones Mr. Caroll issued stifle potential dialogue that could aid reef keepers in achieving further success with their aquatic systems, while avoiding the pitfalls of yesteryear. I keep in close contact with marine scientists, product developers, both professional and expert aquarists and a bevy of other professionals within and related to the reef aquarium industry in order to bring cutting edge, accurate and high quality content to readers. I have done that for publications for over 15 years and get offers from various publications regularly to produce content. For mr. carrol to assume I "shoot from the hip" is a degrading assumption and he knows nothing about what goes into producing compelling, informative content or building the bridges needed to have open communication with a large platform of people. There are many gcarolls in our hobby and the best course of action is to ignore them and oppose them whenever they rear their head, as they stifle progress and promote negativity.

I didn't see where mr. carroll was called any names - he came onto this article and made several out of context, off topic, direct personal attacks against me (the writer) for which he had no basis to make, just as he has numerous times in the past. What he hopes to accomplish remains unknown, but it is both rude and disrespectful, both behaviors associated with young children.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that why ur a writer I said the same things but u said them better.

Forget about him and keep on doing what ur doing we appreciate it.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeremy, you know exactly why I have criticized you. You have your fans and that is OK. I have my haters and that is OK. Why did you modify the article multiple times before finally responding to me?

And before me, no one even cared about this article. I canred because you were making claims about a friend of mine that were not true. In the end, I gave this article legs!

Just because the article I refer to was pulled down, doesn't mean you should act as though it never existed. It is unfair to the readers of these comment's to act as though you are not just as guilty of the same type of actions as the hobbyist who criticized the fish food. The difference is, he made a comment on facebook and didn't even mention a company. You went as far as to actually write an article, name a company and it's product, that resulted in hysteria about the product. IMO, that article was reckless and irresponsible.

I never insinuated that you worked for Neptune! That is a lie. Most people out there know I know who works for Neptune.

I never implied you did not own the AP700. I did not demand proof. I merely asked why you gave a review of a product that you had but used photos off the internet rather than your own. You said your photography skills were lacking, so in turn, I offered a tip to you about taking photo's under LED.
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/review-kessil-ap700-light-fixture.39/

OP
OP
jeremy.gosnell

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You act as though my article about the Cerebra is comparable to what this aquarist in mention did. The only difference I see is that one is your friend and for reasons unknown to me (as I've never met you and couldn't even pick you out in a crowd) you've taken a disliking to me and the content I generate. My article about Cerebra was no different than the numerous consumer reports articles that dissect various new products from top to bottom. Also, I know the article didn't disappear, as numerous aquarists asked me for copies of it and posted it on various forums. I was sent links of the article popping up all over. I read a similar article just this morning about Dyson's new robotic vacuum cleaner, published by a major consumer review bureau. My article simply shared my concerns as an aquarist about the upcoming product, it's operating system, hardware and various attributes. It made no concrete conclusions of any kind and simply encouraged aquarists to be skeptical when assuming this product was revolutionary. It also pointed out that in a letter issued to the aquarium industry at large, Vertex claimed their product was open source, when in fact it didn't meet the definition traditionally attributed to open source software. Also, it reported on the bevy of concerns coming from various individuals/outlets that the Vertex was unable to handle the power load it was advertised too, which as I mentioned earlier, I have a transcript of Vertex's owner admitting to such. Anything less than a critical analysis of the advertising surrounding a new product with such hyperbolic claims is a puff piece. As an aquarium writer, I have a duty to approach any new "revolutionary" product with skepticism. There is a bevy of products that enter the market annually that make claims intended to encourage aquarists to abandon an already established product in favor of something new. The pendulum swings both ways, as you may notice that I was very positive about AquaForest's line of products, even though some aquarists have not been. A see something, say nothing approach to reef aquarium writing isn't very effective for the aquarists that read it.

I think you're well aware of how you've dissected my articles multiple times, acting as though I have a duty to serve you an undeniable burden of proof. You're also well aware that your comments stifle progressive dialogue about reef keeping and critical thinking, in lieu of wasted energy trying to meet your expectation of complete proof. Furthermore personal attacks that claim I impose fiction into writing based around the reef aquarium hobby are not only rude, but outlandish. As I said before, information exists that shows my initial comments above were not fiction as you claim they were, but both r2r's owner and I agreed that it wasn't pertinent to the content, nor something that needed to remain published. I will stand behind my statement to leave it out of the article and any further discussions. I too did not mention the names of any aquarist in this article, nor did I insinuate as to whom it was. You act as though the aquarist in mention was in the right to do what they did, and that it is somehow comparable to my concerns about the Vertex Cerebra. The two are vastly, vastly different. Also, the aquarist in mention made it pretty obvious what product he was referring to, during the follow-up commentary on his initial post. In all reality, if it wasn't for the attention and dissection of these claims by skeptical minded aquarists (several of whom are by trade, marine biologists and fisheries journalists) the aquarist may have succeeded in leading aquarists to believe a high-quality product was in fact fatal to marine fish. What is truly ironic is that the aquarist's actions simply prove point three of my article to be accurate.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeremy, is there a reason why you keep referring to the Cerebra article where you discussed operating system, hardware and various attributes. I am referring to the specific allegations due to the safety of the product in which you wrote your follow up article on. Where you said the design was unsafe. Then they sent the product out to a highly reputable third party who deemed it was safe. Sounds just like the fish food issue, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back