Let’s see those bashsea sumps

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get 2 various 8 in my SS60 (barely). Dimensions for Bashsea Sump appear spot on. Return pumps could not have inlet screen (those dimensions not accounted for in specs for return pumps).

I'm putting together my first big (for me) 220g tank, and I'm seriously considering the exact same setup (Bashsea and VarioS)... and was worried about the dual return question since I also want to run dual VarioS 6 (same dimensions as the VarioS 8). I don't think the inlet screens are required in a sump, correct? Do the pumps sit in the return chamber in such a way that you can get the return plumbing out the of the sump past the eurobracing? Any additional thoughts/pictures you can provide would be SO appreciated!!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm putting together my first big (for me) 220g tank, and I'm seriously considering the exact same setup (Bashsea and VarioS)... and was worried about the dual return question since I also want to run dual VarioS 6 (same dimensions as the VarioS 8). I don't think the inlet screens are required in a sump, correct? Do the pumps sit in the return chamber in such a way that you can get the return plumbing out the of the sump past the eurobracing? Any additional thoughts/pictures you can provide would be SO appreciated!!

Running 2 COR20’s and no way in hell are they fitting without removing the divider. I would be surprised if varios fits

9D6C9F93-55C1-4FE4-A39F-54510BCF3A75.jpeg 23FAA8C6-93F0-4DF3-9834-7192C42284B9.jpeg 22CA8219-D3FA-4607-AF6B-354C1C3D3C05.jpeg

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how Dreamcatcher got two Varios in his, here is one VarioS 8 in mine, don't think I could get a second one in there. Hey @dreamcatcherr9 got any pics for us?

IMG_pump02.jpg

IMG_pump01.jpg

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how Dreamcatcher got two Varios in his, here is one VarioS 8 in mine, don't think I could get a second one in there.

JohnGP.... I just ran through @dreamcatcherr9 threads, and found one picture they posted... the intake guard was removed and the pumps rotated 90 degrees in the chamber. Looks like it left only a little over an inch between the intake nozzle and the wall of the sump. Will that work, or is that not enough "space"?

I know we all "want it all"... but I really want a Bashsea sump... I really want dual returns... and I really DON'T want to hack up a brand new $1,000 sump. UGH. I wish that return chamber was just a few inches bigger.

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JohnGP.... I just ran through @dreamcatcherr9 threads, and found one picture they posted... the intake guard was removed and the pumps rotated 90 degrees in the chamber. Looks like it left only a little over an inch between the intake nozzle and the wall of the sump. Will that work, or is that not enough "space"?

I know we all "want it all"... but I really want a Bashsea sump... I really want dual returns... and I really DON'T want to hack up a brand new $1,000 sump. UGH. I wish that return chamber was just a few inches bigger.

Hi BAPrince,
That's what I figured he may have done but thought he'd probably rotated one of them 180 degrees to the other one. I too wonder if 1" is enough clearance, I "think" it might be but I'm usually wrong. One thing I worried about with not having a screen on there is I occasionally find a loose piece of that plastic mesh fiber that Bashsea uses in the return chamber in with my return pump but the screen has always caught it-so far, but, if a piece of that stuff goes into the impeller I guarantee you it will bring your pump to a screeching halt., it's tough stuff.

I love the Bashsea sumps but agree, why is the return section so darn small?! These are large sumps used on large tanks so it's a given there'll be at least one large return pump in there and many would prefer two. I need a second pump to run to my UV sterilizer or I'd be fine with the VarioS 8. I used to have a 180g set up with dual return pumps, I drilled two holes in the sump and used bulkheads and ran the pumps externally but refuse to do that to this sump, it's just too pretty.

ETA: Ok I went back and found his pick, I see what you're saying now! I thought they were opposite with the intakes 180 from each other. All I need is to fit a VarioS 6 in there and since he got two 8's in his hopefully I can get an 8 and a 6 in mine. Only thing concerning me is his is a larger sump but I'll go check Bashsea's specs, I think the return chambers on both sumps are the same size.

Last edited:

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi BAPrince,
That's what I figured he may have done but thought he'd probably rotated one of them 180 degrees to the other one. I too wonder if 1" is enough clearance, I "think" it might be but I'm usually wrong. One thing I worried about with not having a screen on there is I occasionally find a loose piece of that plastic mesh fiber that Bashsea uses in the return chamber in with my return pump but the screen has always caught it-so far, but, if a piece of that stuff goes into the impeller I guarantee you it will bring your pump to a screeching halt., it's tough stuff.

I love the Bashsea sumps but agree, why is the return section so darn small?! These are large sumps used on large tanks so it's a given there'll be at least one large return pump in there and many would prefer two. I need a second pump to run to my UV sterilizer or I'd be fine with the VarioS 8. I used to have a 180g set up with dual return pumps, I drilled two holes in the sump and used bulkheads and ran the pumps externally but refuse to do that to this sump, it's just too pretty.

ETA: Ok I went back and found his pick, I see what you're saying now! I thought they were opposite with the intakes 180 from each other. All I need is to fit a VarioS 6 in there and since he got two 8's in his hopefully I can get an 8 and a 6 in mine. Only thing concerning me is his is a larger sump but I'll go check Bashsea's specs, I think the return chambers on both sumps are the same size.

Yeah... a 6 and 8 are the same size... and an SS-48 and SS-60 have the same size return chamber. And, I AGREE!!... a 60" sump should NOT have a 7" x 8.5" return chamber!! The VarioS is 7.5" x 3.75" with the intake guard installed (can you confirm 7.5"?)... so a return chamber of even 8" x 8" would have fit them PERFECTLY! Doesn't seem unreasonable on that size sump?!

Richardsonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a used 48"x14"x16" Bashsea Bio-Fuge. I'm dismayed by the small size of the return chamber. Of course it's my fault for not researching more but it seemed like an excellent sump if I wanted to run Triton and it was only $250. But the Jebao 8000 I had already purchased does not fit with the screen guard on (I had originally thought I would run dual return pumps ha ha ha). I'm considering cutting an inch or so off of the bottom of the divider between the return chamber and the chamber that holds the black filter material. This would allow the pump to fit by scrunching up the filter material slightly. Is there any reason I can't or shouldn't do this? The other possibilty is removing the divider entirely and then placing the squiggly black filtering material in front of the opening to the now enlarged chamber. Perhaps then I could fit both return pumps. I'm slowly putting together my first reef here but have been seriously researching for about 6 months now so I appreciate any insights.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a used 48"x14"x16" Bashsea Bio-Fuge. I'm dismayed by the small size of the return chamber. Of course it's my fault for not researching more but it seemed like an excellent sump if I wanted to run Triton and it was only $250. But the Jebao 8000 I had already purchased does not fit with the screen guard on (I had originally thought I would run dual return pumps ha ha ha). I'm considering cutting an inch or so off of the bottom of the divider between the return chamber and the chamber that holds the black filter material. This would allow the pump to fit by scrunching up the filter material slightly. Is there any reason I can't or shouldn't do this? The other possibilty is removing the divider entirely and then placing the squiggly black filtering material in front of the opening to the now enlarged chamber. Perhaps then I could fit both return pumps. I'm slowly putting together my first reef here but have been seriously researching for about 6 months now so I appreciate any insights.

I removed the divider completely (see pics above) and have no issues. I also do not run a refugium though

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yup. Tight fit. Runs one setting 1. Probably more power than I needed for dual returns. And mine is 240g. Various 6 would work good!

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some pics.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Tight fit. Runs one setting 1. Probably more power than I needed for dual returns. And mine is 240g. Various 6 would work good!

Geesh... that is VERY tight... and that being said, I'm VERY excited that you have it plumbed and wet and it's working!! That makes me a LOT more excited to move forward with that setup...

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geesh... that is VERY tight... and that being said, I'm VERY excited that you have it plumbed and wet and it's working!! That makes me a LOT more excited to move forward with that setup...
Watch your skimmer!!! That’s where the eurobrace was an issue. And depending size of tank (and vertical distance), maybe two various 4 could work (?). Mine are on setting 1. But it does work! My first sump, so I don’t have a basis to compare; but it’s super quite and the flow (judging by sticking my hand in front of return nozzles) seem very good!

BAPrince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch your skimmer!!! That’s where the eurobrace was an issue. And depending size of tank (and vertical distance), maybe two various 4 could work (?). Mine are on setting 1. But it does work! My first sump, so I don’t have a basis to compare; but it’s super quite and the flow (judging by sticking my hand in front of return nozzles) seem very good!

It's my first big tank with a sump, I get it. :) .Tank will be a 220g and the stand will be 40" tall, so I'm not worried about vertical height, but appreciate the heads up on eurobracing/skimmer. What skimmer did you go with? I haven't made that choice yet...

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my first big tank with a sump, I get it. :) .Tank will be a 220g and the stand will be 40" tall, so I'm not worried about vertical height, but appreciate the heads up on eurobracing/skimmer. What skimmer did you go with? I haven't made that choice yet...

ReefOcto 300INT. I could have went with the 250INT, but I tend to overstock and like some predator fish. So I went with the 300INT.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back