Let’s talk generators!

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing a ton of research but there are so many options. This is what I think I need to run both tanks plus essentials for the house.

Can someone help me as to what else I need?

Can I hook up my EB32 directly to the generator? I have three Neptune EB32.

Thanks so much!!
34BD8CD6-05CD-40C1-B14F-A172ACE68B8A.jpeg

Last edited:

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other Necessary equipment did you purchase for your generator?
Not a thing just the generator and works like a charm. Ran it for 16 hours running two tanks and more.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Honda 3000is. Runs all of my tanks along with other essentials. Perfect out of the box. Quiet, sips gas.
Mine ran for 9 hours on .9 gallons of gas on eco mode. Gotta love a Honda

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this one. Pretty quiet, especially on eco mode. Fairly easy to start, easy on gas. It cranks every time but does take a decent pull to start it. Seemed good quality compared to other generators I have owned in the past. I paid $532 in 2018, I see they went up in price.

Champion Generator

Last edited:

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing you need to consider when it comes to generators.
Is this an inverter type?

For electronics it is best to use an inverter type.
Basically line conditioning so your voltage and aperage do not fluctuate or loaded up with harmful harmonics.

Most of the utility generators are for tools or non-electronic equipment.
This is why the Honda EU series of generators are so popular today.

You can add line conditioners but good ones that work are expensive.

OP
OP
Shaka_Reefer

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I get the inverter generator, what’s a good extension cord to get to connect the Neptune EB32 into one of the generator outlets?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I get the inverter generator, what’s a good extension cord to get to connect the Neptune EB32 into one of the generator outlets?

Its all about distance.
I am an electrical Contractor so I know a thing or two about electricity (I hope anyway. lol)

I would purchase nothing less that a 12 gage cord.
If the distance gets past 100 feet then I recommend a 10 gage cord.
Do not use adapters if at all possible, but they are always used lol.

OP
OP
Shaka_Reefer

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all about distance.
I am an electrical Contractor so I know a thing or two about electricity (I hope anyway. lol)

Thank you! I’m actually thinking about this one since the tanks are near the front door so I just need 25ft

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all about distance.

I would email Neptune directly as I believe they reccomend 10 Guage for any type of extension cord. This topic was brought up just last week and I'm trying to track down the thread

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all about distance.

Would a critical load panel and transfer switch be a better/safer choice than an extension cord? (Obviously SLIGHTLY more expensive but...)

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would email Neptune directly as I believe they reccomend 10 Guage for any type of extension cord. This topic was brought up just last week and I'm trying to track down the thread

You have to match the wire size to the overcurrent protection.
If your generators outlet is 120V at 20A and 100 feet or less a 12 gage cord is all that's needed.
If your generators outlet is 120V 30A then yes a 10 gage cored is required at 100 feet or less.

Yes a real backup generator with a critical load panel will be optimal but a lot more expensive.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Troyntu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a critical load panel and transfer switch be a better/safer choice than an extension cord? (Obviously SLIGHTLY more expensive but...)
Yes. A transfer switch hooked to the panel and just turn the circuit on for what ever circuit is to the tank. Transfer switches are the right way to hook a generator up to a home. And then you can turn what ever circuit you want on depending on the size on generator.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to match the wire size to the overcurrent protection.
If your generators outlet is 120V at 20A and 100 feet or less a 12 gage cord is all that's needed.
If your generators outlet is 120V 30A then yes a 10 gage cored is required at 100 feet or less.

Just reiterating what another member had posted after they spoke directly with Neptune, which is why I said it would be best if the OP spoke with them on the matter directly and see what they reccomended... I agree with you that it's definitely overkill.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That would work for the situation.
This would need to have a permit to install this type of unit.
It will be mounted next to your existing panel and the critical circuits would have to me moved from that panel into this one permanently.

Not a big deal but added costs of permits and electricians will be required. Unless you have the knowledge to DIY, but the permit will be needed either way.

I always tell customers the same thing.
The level of protection required should be based on your history of power outages and the duration of the outages.
If I lived in a state that now does blackout periods for safety reasons then yes i would go to great lengths.
If I was in rural areas where power restoration was not high priority then again great lengths.
The heart of the city where thousands of homes and businesses where restoration will be high priority, well maybe not so much.

Back