Let Me ID Your Wrasse!

  • Thread starter Thread starter evolved
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone locally recently told me this wrasse (splendid pintail) is very aggressive as a super male? Is that the case. it seems to ignore everything at the moment. Has no interest in any of my other fish at the moment. My chromis even chased him away the other day.
Perhaps to other species in the lunatus complex, but otherwise pretty peaceful.
 
Need help with and ID on this wrasse! The wrasse being sold as a Filimented fairy wrasse, but I want a confirmation on what I'm getting before I pick it up. I think it looks similar to a carpenters flasher wrasse, but I am not a wrasse expert. Any input would be helpful! Also any tips on keeping these guys if I do decide to buy would be appreciated! Thanks!

image.jpeg
 
Need help with and ID on this wrasse! The wrasse being sold as a Filimented fairy wrasse, but I want a confirmation on what I'm getting before I pick it up. I think it looks similar to a carpenters flasher wrasse, but I am not a wrasse expert. Any input would be helpful! Also any tips on keeping these guys if I do decide to buy would be appreciated! Thanks!

image.jpeg
That's a carpenter flasher wrasse. They are prolific jumpers, so a covered top is essential. Beyond that, they are a peaceful, colorful, active reef safe fish.
 
Someone locally recently told me this wrasse (splendid pintail) is very aggressive as a super male? Is that the case. it seems to ignore everything at the moment. Has no interest in any of my other fish at the moment. My chromis even chased him away the other day.
My pintail was quite docile
 
Any idea what this wrasse is ?

Thanks in advance!

Unknown Wrasse.jpg
It's a type of razor wrasse, Novaculops halsteadi. It is a sand burying wrasse that appreciates open sand space. It will eat shrimps, snails, and crabs. It will also knock over corals and small rocks in it's hunt for food.
 
Cirrhilabrus Pylei or Pylei Fairy Wrasse
It's a different species than the true C. pylei, and is supposed to be getting a formal description by Luiz Rocha at some point.
 
Crazy stuff ...

Saw that Novaculops identified earlier today (completely unfamiliar to me before that moment), and lo-and-behold, one of the LFS' posted the same species on their Facebook this afternoon!

~Bruce, loving the serendipity of this place . . .
 
Crazy stuff ...

Saw that Novaculops identified earlier today (completely unfamiliar to me before that moment), and lo-and-behold, one of the LFS' posted the same species on their Facebook this afternoon!

~Bruce, loving the serendipity of this place . . .
Then it should have been at the shop on Friday. The only direct flight to JFK(which serves as the hub for the tri state area) and the Philippines arrives on Friday morning.
 
Obviously I didn't pay attention to the posts a few up. Sorry guys
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new