Let Me ID Your Wrasse!

  • Thread starter Thread starter evolved
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_3407.JPG
IMG_3408.JPG


Sold as hardwickii but definitely not?
 
Looks like an initial male Thalassoma jansenii. It's care and behavior is near identical to that of the hardwick wrasse.
 
Looks like an initial male Thalassoma jansenii.
Definitely agree, and the ranges of the two species overlap. It's easy to see how the two could get confused.
 
That's a nice little Halichoeres - If I was going to try to keep a wrasse in that genus with anemone shrimp or other smaller shrimps, I'd likely try that one, just because it doesn't get too big.

~Bruce
 
Id on this halichoeres wrasse?
1486925050507.jpeg
I am leaning toward H. margaritacea, but I would feel more confident with a better pic.
 
I am leaning toward H. margaritacea, but I would feel more confident with a better pic.
That's what they had it labeled as. (Actually as a wounded wrasse) but the colors were not quite right. This 1 was very grey/white/silver with some colors in the face
 
That's what they had it labeled as. (Actually as a wounded wrasse) but the colors were not quite right. This 1 was very grey/white/silver with some colors in the face
Wounded wrasse is most frequently used as the commin name for H. chierchiea. The face and tail pattern are wrong for H. chierchiea.
 
The colors didn't seem quite right for H. Margaritacea, but that was the closest I could find. Nothing about it would I consider greenish.
H. margaritacea is more prominently greyish as a juvenile.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new