Status
Not open for further replies.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I walked into the LFS the other day and one of the tanks had a sign reading 8-line flasher wrasse $34. I looked in the tank and there were 2 wrasses in there, but neither was an 8-line flasher. I had a big sad face. I looked into another tank and there were 2 Pseudocheilinus octotaenia. I pointed out the error to a staff member who then checked the invoice and said oops. He then went on to tell me that the other 2 wrasses came in as Carpenters. I told him that I was pretty sure they weren't, but they looked good so I grabbed one.

I'm thinking P. flavianalis. Sorry for the poor picture, but I think it should be good enough for an ID. Thanks.

Flasher Feb.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your thinking is right along the lines of mine, looking at that photo - that's a yellowfin flasher, P. flavianalis. Looks like a nice one, too!

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I walked into the LFS the other day and one of the tanks had a sign reading 8-line flasher wrasse $34. I looked in the tank and there were 2 wrasses in there, but neither was an 8-line flasher. I had a big sad face. I looked into another tank and there were 2 Pseudocheilinus octotaenia. I pointed out the error to a staff member who then checked the invoice and said oops. He then went on to tell me that the other 2 wrasses came in as Carpenters. I told him that I was pretty sure they weren't, but they looked good so I grabbed one.

I'm thinking P. flavianalis. Sorry for the poor picture, but I think it should be good enough for an ID. Thanks.

Flasher Feb.jpg
Definitely P. flavianalis. They come in id'd as carpenters more often than they do as flavianalis.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lfs owner was telling me he can't identify between "Blue flasher" I think he means Paracheilinus cyaneus, or two spot flasher think he means Paracheilinus lineopunctatus. Hard to know with common names.. Anyways here's a video of the fish.. Also any thoughts on the spinning behavior?
Hes been in there subtheraputic copper system about a month. He does swim around and flash at other fish in the tank as well.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's lineopunctatus; note the shape of the tail.

The circles are a bit peculiar, but he seems alright when not doing them.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's lineopunctatus; note the shape of the tail.

The circles are a bit peculiar, but he seems alright when not doing them.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking, just wasn't sure. Think I'll probably pick him up this weekend if he's still there..

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to guess, there's something irritating that tailfin, and he's trying to nip it off.

C. lineopunctatus has a squared / rounded tail, and C. cyaneus has a somewhat lunate tail. Both are charming, and closer to true red than a lot of reef-safe fish get.

~Bruce

demonspeedn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any distinguishing characteristics of Fairies and Flashers when turning from female to male? I know other Wrasses are easy to tell when changing.

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to guess, there's something irritating that tailfin, and he's trying to nip it off.

C. lineopunctatus has a squared / rounded tail, and C. cyaneus has a somewhat lunate tail. Both are charming, and closer to true red than a lot of reef-safe fish get.

~Bruce

Totally agree, I've gotten a few wrasses in the past from LFSs that were afflicted with Ich and noticed the spinning behavior in QT, trying to pick off trophonts on the caudal.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any distinguishing characteristics of Fairies and Flashers when turning from female to male? I know other Wrasses are easy to tell when changing.
Females are pretty drab and lack color in their fins. Once they start coloring up, they have begun transitioning into males.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS is calling this a male melanurus. I don't think it is, but I've been known to be wrong before. Thanks.

wrasse id.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back