Let Me ID Your Wrasse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres margaritaceus. As it gets bigger it will eat motile inverts and gets semi aggressive.
How aggressive does this guy get? Will it eat trochus and cerith snails? I am starting to feel bad for the little guy/gal living in the qt. My setup is a 5ft 150g sps dominant with only a white tail, purple, 2 clowns, orchid dotty. But I have my eyes set on a orange back, mccoskers and a splendid. Plus whatever I fall in love with.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How aggressive does this guy get? Will it eat trochus and cerith snails? I am starting to feel bad for the little guy/gal living in the qt. My setup is a 5ft 150g sps dominant with only a white tail, purple, 2 clowns, orchid dotty. But I have my eyes set on a orange back, mccoskers and a splendid. Plus whatever I fall in love with.
They are very effective at killing cerith and trochus.

I have had to remove them from tanks larger than yours for being aggressive toward other wrasses.

ocruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very effective at killing cerith and trochus.

I have had to remove them from tanks larger than yours for being aggressive toward other wrasses.
Thanks for the info. I will need to find it a new home for sure then. I kept trying to google information on this species but there is not much out there.

Murrel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to share my favorite fish....He is almost 6 inches long! Love this fish. I could be wrong but i bieleve it is a male ornate......Would be nice to know for sure...Just love to sit and wach this one!
wrasse!.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I will need to find it a new home for sure then. I kept trying to google information on this species but there is not much out there.
It is a sister-species of H. nebulosus, their care and demeanor is the same.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to share my favorite fish....He is almost 6 inches long! Love this fish. I could be wrong but i bieleve it is a male ornate......Would be nice to know for sure...Just love to sit and wach this one!
wrasse!.jpg
Yes; male M. ornatus. :)

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a sister-species of H. nebulosus, their care and demeanor is the same.
I recently had put a H nebulosus in my 6ft, 125 gallon tank. For the first two days he was a saint, than after that, all holy heck broke out. He was only maybe 3 inches, but he terrorized everything in my tank. He made my poor Blue Star Leopard jump into the overflow, where she wound up in the fuge, only to be eaten by my mantis ( I know this because when I came home from work, she was nowhere to been seen, and when I went to feed my mantis, i saw her poor face only :( Then, that same day I watched him pin my ornate leopard in a corner and then he hid behind the overflow, so he started to terrorize my flame hawkfish. I took out over 200lbs of live rock to try to catch him and he disappeared into the sand. Furious, I put all my rocks back in and I ordered a fish trap, hoping no one would terroried to death before it came. I came home from work the next day, only to discover him stalking the bottom of the tank, while all of my fish were all at the top, and bee lining like a shark at the fish at the top. I couldn't stand him in my tank another day. I stuck a net in there to try to scare him to see where in the sand he dove and once again, I took out all of my rock, made a wall with two large nets and started poking around in the sand where he went. And somehow, by the grace of God , the evil incarnate, went right into my net wall. I put all my rock back in and even though I had thoughts of putting him in the sump and letting The Creature ( my mantis) have him for dinner, I couldn't do it. I brought him back to the fish store. When I came back from the store, all of my fish were happily swimming about. The little brute even had my purple tang cowering. I shudder now even as I type this. He truly was the meanest fish I have ever owned. Hopefully if you keep yours, you will have a nice one! Good luck!

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wrasse!.jpg
Love ornates! This is Sigmond! sorry, it not the clearest! It is a pic of a picture on my camera! Great fish w/ great personality!

image.jpeg

Marinedoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please ID my wrasse.

20170413_145227(0).jpg

20170413_145230.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Marinedoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you prefer not to add it to a mixed reef tank ? would it kill and eat adult cleaner shrimps ?

Justin poirier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't figure out what my wrasse is! I'll take a picture when I get home he is purple on the head then it turns yellow in the back looks like a six line
But I can not find anything that looks like him
On the internet

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't figure out what my wrasse is! I'll take a picture when I get home he is purple on the head then it turns yellow in the back looks like a six line
But I can not find anything that looks like him
On the internet
Purple to yellow... Maybe a royal gramma, Bicolor dotty back or Spanish Hogfish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back