Status
Not open for further replies.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the confirmation. Will it be a good tank mate or become a nuisance eventually? Information is surprisingly difficult to find on the different species often sold as xmas wrasses. The only consensus I could find is that you want claudia and not ornatissmus but with little reason as to why other then ornatissmus gets larger.

I'm sure TJ will know exactly the reasons but my limited experience is that H. claudia is an easy going no problem Halichoeres and H. ornatissimus can be a butt head.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the confirmation. Will it be a good tank mate or become a nuisance eventually? Information is surprisingly difficult to find on the different species often sold as xmas wrasses. The only consensus I could find is that you want claudia and not ornatissmus but with little reason as to why other then ornatissmus gets larger.
H. ornatissmus gets larger and gets more aggressive. Some specimens aren't too bad, but others can be quite aggressive.
I'm sure TJ will know exactly the reasons but my limited experience is that H. claudia is an easy going no problem Halichoeres and H. ornatissimus can be a butt head.
Exactly!

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H. ornatissmus gets larger and gets more aggressive. Some specimens aren't too bad, but others can be quite aggressive.

Exactly!

Wonderful another butt head fish.... I already can't put my hand in the tank without asking for battle wounds (dang female clownfish). Thanks for the id and info!

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the theme of Christmas wrasse, is this an ornatissmus?

IMG_20170416_074034.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the subject of H. biocellatus. Is it unusual for them to get very dark when they transition to male? Mine has gotten very dark, it almost reminds me of what happened to my P. attenuatus over time.

alanedinburgh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5971.JPG
IMG_5973.JPG
Hey there everyone long time viewer of the site but never signed up till now.

Seems this forum is the best one for wrasse fans so hope someone can help me.

I got a wrasse from my LFS and was named as a earlei wrasse. It was also named as this on there import list. I asked also where this was imported from and they said Bali if that's any help.

The wrasse is tiny ( just slightly bigger than my thumb I'd say)so difficult to tell if it is or isn't as I'm going by pics in my kuiters wrasse book that I have.

I'm thinking it looks more like a pylei but doesn't have the big ventral fins that you usually see.

Here's a few poor pics that give you an idea

IMG_5976.JPG

IMG_6004.PNG

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5971.JPG
IMG_5973.JPG
Hey there everyone long time viewer of the site but never signed up till now.

Seems this forum is the best one for wrasse fans so hope someone can help me.

I got a wrasse from my LFS and was named as a earlei wrasse. It was also named as this on there import list. I asked also where this was imported from and they said Bali if that's any help.

The wrasse is tiny ( just slightly bigger than my thumb I'd say)so difficult to tell if it is or isn't as I'm going by pics in my kuiters wrasse book that I have.

I'm thinking it looks more like a pylei but doesn't have the big ventral fins that you usually see.

Here's a few poor pics that give you an idea

IMG_5976.JPG

IMG_6004.PNG
It is indeed pylei; female - and hence why the ventrals are not yet extended.

I really hope you didn't pay the earlei price! :eek:

alanedinburgh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost me £59 so was worth a gamble. Prob cost more than what it should have been if named correctly for a juvenile female

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost me £59 so was worth a gamble. Prob cost more than what it should have been if named correctly for a juvenile female
That's about right for pylei in the US market; not sure about your market however.
But earlei over here, would be about £500 converted over there.

Grey Ghost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what type of wrasse this might be. I was told it was a juvi flame wrasse but I'm somewhat optimistic.
242c990b90019f770b0607b1e286eec1.jpg
972d75577ac281bdb511181a7ee9e254.jpg
673d3e0e1c5868c529c6da136c8403ba.jpg

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what type of wrasse this might be. I was told it was a juvi flame wrasse but I'm somewhat optimistic.
242c990b90019f770b0607b1e286eec1.jpg
972d75577ac281bdb511181a7ee9e254.jpg
673d3e0e1c5868c529c6da136c8403ba.jpg
Pylei, the apparent theme of this page. :p

g8rorchid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help me with id'ing this guy. He was labeled as a mystery wrasse from Indonesia, but when I googled that, the fish looked just like a regular mystery wrasse. I think it's an earmuff wrasse. I apologize for the quality of the pics, I can try to take more if needed. Also any info you have about this guy would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help me with id'ing this guy. He was labeled as a mystery wrasse from Indonesia, but when I googled that, the fish looked just like a regular mystery wrasse. I think it's an earmuff wrasse. I apologize for the quality of the pics, I can try to take more if needed. Also any info you have about this guy would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
Halichoeres melasmapomus

g8rorchid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Are you familiar with them? Temperament? Will it go after snails and crabs? Anything to avoid?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Are you familiar with them? Temperament? Will it go after snails and crabs? Anything to avoid?
Usually pretty mild, especially for one of the bigger species (has been recorded at 9"). Will be more interested in motile inverts as it ages (and grows).

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably one of the rubripinnis complex, but we're going to need a better photo to say much more.
Could even be pylei (for the tri-fecta of this page :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back