Let Me ID Your Wrasse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciwyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this wrasse last week as a Christmas wrasse. While it's actually a very pretty wrasse with the gold streaks down its body it I don't think it matches photos I've seen of Christmas wrasses.
Sorry it was difficult to get a good photo but hopefully you can still get an ID from this photo. If not I'll try and get a better one.
IMG_20200209_092637.jpg
IMG_20200209_092631.jpg

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this wrasse last week as a Christmas wrasse. While it's actually a very pretty wrasse with the gold streaks down its body it I don't think it matches photos I've seen of Christmas wrasses.
Sorry it was difficult to get a good photo but hopefully you can still get an ID from this photo. If not I'll try and get a better one.
IMG_20200209_092637.jpg
IMG_20200209_092631.jpg
H. biocellatus

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even with the broken pattern?

ugh. claudia and ornatissimus is so hard to tell apart
Yeah, the pattern on the sides is pretty distinct. The "breaks" you see above are just stress coloration.
Claudia at that size:
HalichoerClaudErikSchlogl.jpg

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, yeah my first thought was claudia should be more white, but then i was referencing an old post of yours with the difference between claudia/ornatissimus/biocellatus and the ornatissium was all no broken striping. i guess the wholesale had them all listed as claudia and the origins were bali and hawaii, no fiji

:eek:

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gold is iridescent which is pretty cool. Do they keep those gold lines as they age? What a the the false eyes on the dorsal fin?
The male colouration is very different from the juvenile. The false eyes are common in sub-adult Halichores wrasse; I suspect it is a self-defence thing.

1581288989093.png

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a the the false eyes on the dorsal fin?
he false eyes are common in sub-adult Halichores wrasse; I suspect it is a self-defence thing.
False eyes, or eye spots, are there as a defense mechanism to confuse potential predators. Pretty much all Halichoeres species have them as juvieniles, but they do fade away as species of the genus mature. Adult females of some Halichoeres species do maintain the spot central on the dorsal.

Ciwyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
False eyes, or eye spots, are there as a defense mechanism to confuse potential predators. Pretty much all Halichoeres species have them as juvieniles, but they do fade away as species of the genus mature. Adult females of some Halichoeres species do maintain the spot central on the dorsal.
That's kind of what I figured. I'm not sure why but I find the false eye spots a very intriguing and pretty feature on these fish.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DD mistakenly sent me someone else's order a while back. The package had my paperwork, but different contents. I can identify the fish as a wrasse but not quite sure which one. I was thinking Filamented at first, but after looking at the Blue Flasher Wrasse, I'm not quite sure. The tail looks more like the Blue I think....

Sorry for the pics. The fish is shy and this was after sitting in front of the tank for 45 minutes. Hopefully they give enough detail to help.

side wrasse.jpeg
Fins wrasse.jpeg
front wrasse.jpeg

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DD mistakenly sent me someone else's order a while back. The package had my paperwork, but different contents. I can identify the fish as a wrasse but not quite sure which one. I was thinking Filamented at first, but after looking at the Blue Flasher Wrasse, I'm not quite sure. The tail looks more like the Blue I think....

Sorry for the pics. The fish is shy and this was after sitting in front of the tank for 45 minutes. Hopefully they give enough detail to help.

side wrasse.jpeg
Fins wrasse.jpeg
front wrasse.jpeg
Yes, that's Paracheilinus cyaneus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back