Status
Not open for further replies.

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this guy on reddit. Really unique colors.
BF7509EB-F3EA-4A85-A6E7-3B43E5DDA1AB.jpeg

Gabriella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased this wrasse yesterday at LFS. It was sold to me as an Ornate Wrasse.
CE5FCCC1-A3F2-4001-BCAE-D424E8538FF4.jpeg

alshayazoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this thread. So many great wrasse to look at.

I suspect this little one is a juvenile/female H. Melanurus, but some of these fish of the Halichoeres genus can look very similar at this stage. Am I correct or doing thing this is a different fish?

551837A7-340C-409B-9DF3-5605E433EA82.jpeg

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this thread. So many great wrasse to look at.

I suspect this little one is a juvenile/female H. Melanurus, but some of these fish of the Halichoeres genus can look very similar at this stage. Am I correct or doing thing this is a different fish?

551837A7-340C-409B-9DF3-5605E433EA82.jpeg
I would agree with your suspicion right now. Seems ~90% likely, but as you point out it can be hard to be certain at this size.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Christam1433

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a wrasse but have no idea what species it is? Post it here with a good, clear picture and I'll ID it for you. If you can capture a photo with the fins flared out, all the better. :wink:

And go!
I think this is an ornate leopard wrasse, but it was sold to me as a red leopard wrasse.

wrasse.jpg

Blueringed_Octo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Mr. Wrasse guy, Could you please confirm for me that this is a Key Lime Wrasse? It was taken on by me from a buddy who had to break down his tank and he told me it was a Key Lime Wrasse. Is that the same thing as a Green Coris Wrasse? And if so are they compatible with any of the Halichoeres Wrasse? (yellow, silver belly, etc.)?? Currently this guy lives in my 200 gallon Reef tank with plenty of inverts, fish, and coral. I have never witnessed any aggression from him towards any other tank mate. He is actually quite shy and will dart back to his sand bed behind his rock whenever he sees someone looking at him unless he gets used to them or he knows it's feeding time. Only comes out during the morning and afternoon and is always gone in the evening and night times. Thanks

20200202_124207.jpg 20200202_124236.jpg

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Key Lime Wrasse
Honestly, that's a new common name for me, and I have no idea what it means. ;Woot
Common names are not common; they're regional and sometimes cultural. And at the end of day, pretty meaningless.
That being said, this is Halichoeres chloropterus, and perhaps that's another common name it goes by.

It's generally not a great species for aquaria - it's sold as a juvi when it's bright green, but that fades into a dull silvery-green once mature. And then it usually turns into a motile invert eating machine with a nasty attitude towards other fish.
And if so are they compatible with any of the Halichoeres Wrasse? (yellow, silver belly, etc.)??
So typically, it's not a good one to mix with other Halichoeres, but there's always exceptions.
He is actually quite shy and will dart back to his sand bed behind his rock whenever he sees someone looking at him unless he gets used to them or he knows it's feeding time.
It's possible it might be an exception, but it also doesn't look to be fully matured yet either. The storm may still be yet to come.

Blueringed_Octo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, that's a new common name for me, and I have no idea what it means. ;Woot
Common names are not common; they're regional and sometimes cultural. And at the end of day, pretty meaningless.
That being said, this is Halichoeres chloropterus, and perhaps that's another common name it goes by.

It's generally not a great species for aquaria - it's sold as a juvi when it's bright green, but that fades into a dull silvery-green once mature. And then it usually turns into a motile invert eating machine with a nasty attitude towards other fish.

So typically, it's not a good one to mix with other Halichoeres, but there's always exceptions.

It's possible it might be an exception, but it also doesn't look to be fully matured yet either. The storm may still be yet to come.
First of all thank you for the ID...
Secondly, If I wasn't scared yet from, " And then it usually turns into a motile invert eating machine with a nasty attitude towards other fish."
I was definitely done after, "THE STORM MAY STILL BE YET TO COME"

I have to get this guy out man lol!

Okay so what about the Earmuff Wrasse? Maybe I could swap that guy out for him? I want a Wrasse that isn't going to tear things to shreds with my inverts and fish and coral. I was originally looking for a second wrasse to add with this brewing monster but now I would rather just take him out and get one you recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back