Let Me ID Your Wrasse!

  • Thread starter Thread starter evolved
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my adorned wrasse (Halichoeres cosmetus)

Can anyone tell me the sex and if it has adult colours?

image.jpg
 
Is this a scotts fairy wrasse?

IMG_2989.JPG
Looks like a male C. temminckii.
This is my adorned wrasse (Halichoeres cosmetus)

Can anyone tell me the sex and if it has adult colours?

image.jpg
It is a female, the orange stripes will deepen in color. It will lose the eye spots on the dorsal and caudal peduncle. It will also develop vertical patterning on the back half of the body that interrupts it's horizontal stripes.
 
This is my adorned wrasse (Halichoeres cosmetus)

Can anyone tell me the sex and if it has adult colours?

image.jpg
TJ's description is spot on in regards to how males differ from females, but looking closely at your picture and it has began to transition already. Therefore I would say it is sub-male.
If you are looking to get another of the same species, I would first caution against it. But if your mind is set, then you certainly only want a female regards of the sex of your current specimen.

Is this a scotts fairy wrasse?

IMG_2989.JPG
Temminckii indeed.
 
TJ's description is spot on in regards to how males differ from females, but looking closely at your picture and it has began to transition already. Therefore I would say it is sub-male.
If you are looking to get another of the same species, I would first caution against it. But if your mind is set, then you certainly only want a female regards of the sex of your current specimen.

I think I can see the vertical lines appearing now it's been mentioned, this might be a better photo. Thanks for the info guys :)

image.jpeg
 
I think I can see the vertical lines appearing now it's been mentioned, this might be a better photo. Thanks for the info guys :)

image.jpeg
Yup, the transition has begun.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new