Lets Build a Simple DIY Frag Rack

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently fragged up a few of your corals? Sandbed starting to look like a container of frag plugs exploded across it? Need a method to adopt frags to different lighting levels by depth within your tank?

Solving any and all of these issues can be easily accomplished with a simple DIY frag rack.

Supplies:
Old Mag-Float or other magnetic glass cleaner (or a brand new one if you want);
Mag-Float5April2011.jpg

A piece of eggcrate (light diffuser grid) - available at your local hardware store;
Eggcrateplatform5April2011.jpg

Some Superglue gel - I buy mine in the three packs from the Dollar Store;
DollarStoreSuperGlueGel5April2011.jpg

Cut or break your eggcrate to the desired size; I use a pair of pliers to break out sections till its the size I want, but know others that use side-cutters or dremmels. This will be determined by how many frags you plan on placing in the rack, as well as the size of the magnetic glass cleaner. Once you have the piece of eggcrate cut to size, center it on the magnet, and mark the positions at which it contacts the magfloat. Cover the marks with a generous layer of Superglue gel, and then place the eggcrate into the glue.
EggcrategluedtoMag-Float5April2011.jpg

Hold firmly in place until the glue is dry or dip in water to speed up the hardening process. Once the glue it dry, place it in your tank and fill with frags.

DIYfragrack5April2011.jpg

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wy Renegade - I always loved this little mod. Very easy and simple to add a little extra frag space. Nice pics. Thanks!

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you made a booboo.... the magfloat is upside down...;)

Yes, well you see, I didn't pay any attention when I was gluing the rack on and those mag-floats only attach to each other one way you know. LOL

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. Thanks for the writeup. You been talking to drainbamage? ;)

CJ

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahahahahahah you know i was just playing with ya..... spray can it black and do it just for me okay....1smile1 buahahahahahah
Yes, well you see, I didn't pay any attention when I was gluing the rack on and those mag-floats only attach to each other one way you know. LOL

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice write-up Randy....I'll put some pics up of mine. I have to admit though, I went higher tek and cut the rack to fit the mag float- though now I realize I lost some real-estate doing it that way :squigglemouth: maybe I can make myself feel better by rationalizing that I minimized the axial distance of force from frags on the outer edge of the rack....yea...that's my story.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's where the joke about the upside down mag float comes from, I was wondering about that. Nice post.. wish I had made one instead of blowing more money buying one!

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice write-up Randy....I'll put some pics up of mine. I have to admit though, I went higher tek and cut the rack to fit the mag float- though now I realize I lost some real-estate doing it that way :squigglemouth: maybe I can make myself feel better by rationalizing that I minimized the axial distance of force from frags on the outer edge of the rack....yea...that's my story.

Sounds good to me Brian, there is always more than one way to do things.

That's where the joke about the upside down mag float comes from, I was wondering about that. Nice post.. wish I had made one instead of blowing more money buying one!

Yep, but I fixed it! I found another old mag-float that the magnets are reversed on and put it on. Have to get a new picture just for Lee.

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Ronnie. Looks like you could maybe have done a few less holes though?

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What fun would that be?

I have plugs that will fit perfectly together in these. That is why I did it. This smaller rack is a mini modded version of my frag tank build:
IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

Plus with the thickness of the acrylic, and the size of the rack, I needed to minimize weight. If I had a larger magnet, I would have drilled fewer holes. But I had this magnet just lying around.

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha ;), the bottle cap plugs fit very well! Nice frag rack as well.

AsphaltPays

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice frag rack Ronnie..Were did you get the Rods and sheets of acrylic?

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk

Jakels5253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fun would that be?

I have plugs that will fit perfectly together in these. That is why I did it. This smaller rack is a mini modded version of my frag tank build:
IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

Plus with the thickness of the acrylic, and the size of the rack, I needed to minimize weight. If I had a larger magnet, I would have drilled fewer holes. But I had this magnet just lying around.
How did you like the different levels of the frag rack? Were they all useful? Would you have done something different after using them? Any insights or experiences that I should consider when setting up my frag tank?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 57 27.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%

Back