Let's play SPS game so I can avoid going to work

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Here's two pics of the acro side of my reef. One is under whites, the other mostly blues...

Challenge question is:

Other than the three montipora, these SPS are all acropora except for one. Which one is it and what species is it?

Bonus question is to name the three montipora.

Once I get correct answers I'll go to work...

Go!

IMG_2106.JPG

Last edited:

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean the Seriatopora hystrix in the back? Perhaps a Montipora Setosa is the orange coral in front. Behind it looks like a Montipora Digitata and behind that a Purple encrusting montipora?

OP
OP
BlennyKravitz

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean the Seriatopora hystrix in the back? Perhaps a Montipora Setosa is the orange coral in front. Behind it looks like a Montipora Digitata and behind that a Purple encrusting montipora?
I should have cropped out the birdnest....

You nailed the three montis. but the acro question is more obscure.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ooo! I like this! Let's keep the game going! Time to start posting up SPS quiz questions!

OP
OP
BlennyKravitz

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also a newbie
Are you talking about the cyphastrea? The Pink branching one
Aw geez... You guys are all pros. I really was hoping to not go to work for a bit...

My real question here is, I am a relative newbie to this hobby, but went a little overboard once my parameters reached what I felt was stable. I am just so enamored with acropora and acans. Reef-A-Palooza and living in LA near a half-dozen reputable stores does not help the addiction. Do you guys see issues with my acro placement here in terms of future crowding? I have space in the middle of the tank, but I have a big zoa garden there which can be moved lower or better yet, to another tank.

I would appreciate any feedback on if I should move anything now. In general, I try to cut the frag plug and mount to a medium weight piece of live rock/shelf so I can move things around. Very few of these frags are glued down, but I really would like to do that soon.

Thanks in advance to you guys.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also a newbie

Aw geez... You guys are all pros. I really was hoping to not go to work for a bit...

My real question here is, I am a relative newbie to this hobby, but went a little overboard once my parameters reached what I felt was stable. I am just so enamored with acropora and acans. Reef-A-Palooza and living in LA near a half-dozen reputable stores does not help the addiction. Do you guys see issues with my acro placement here in terms of future crowding? I have space in the middle of the tank, but I have a big zoa garden there which can be moved lower or better yet, to another tank.

I would appreciate any feedback on if I should move anything now. In general, I try to cut the frag plug and mount to a medium weight piece of live rock/shelf so I can move things around. Very few of these frags are glued down, but I really would like to do that soon.

Nice tank ,get those clove polyps out though. Don't brush them off and make sure to get all of them out, otherwise tank looks cool

OP
OP
BlennyKravitz

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank ,get those clove polyps out though. Don't brush them off and make sure to get all of them out, otherwise tank looks cool
Really? I have them spreading in a few spots. They won't lose in a battle? I have them touching a digitata and no fighting. I thought it looked cool. You think I should yank them?

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am also a newbie

Let me try to explain this correctly lol(atleast the way i think of it). No matter what, your acros will be the size of footballs sooner or later. Just have to trim it. I like the overcrowded look, its just the encrustment is what i worry about sometimes because fights can lead to stn. As long as their somewhat a few inches from eachother, it should be fine. Keep the branches from touching thats all. Otherwise your tank looks great-nice-and healthy!

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I have them spreading in a few spots. They won't lose in a battle? I have them touching a digitata and no fighting. I thought it looked cool. You think I should yank them?
They don't sting but they do smother corals, I personally consider them to be pests, others might like them. It depends on your preference though.

OP
OP
BlennyKravitz

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't sting but they do smother corals, I personally consider them to be pests, others might like them. It depends on your preference though.
I tore the tank apart last night and nuked all those polyps. I am pretty sure they were localized to only a few rocks and I was able to pull them out and scrape, brush, pour boiling water on, paste alk on and everybody seems ok. I am glad you pointed that out because it was going to be an issue. The only people that ever see my tank are like oooooooo, ahhhhhhhhh..... I need constructive criticism!

Thanks for your input!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 153 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back