• Sump does not have Refugium

Votes: 48 17.1%

• Total voters

vector824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested to see what type of sumps you all have. This being one of my favorite parts of my tank I feel that they are the unsung equipment heroes of our hobby. The versatility and variety of the sump is just as fascinating to me as our display tanks with the ability to add a plethora of different equipment to keep our livestock happy! I added a poll to see what the variety is here on #Reef2Reef and a secondary poll tacked on to see if you have a 'fuge or not. I'll start with a picture of mine! SHOW ME YOUR SUMPS GOOD BAD AND UGLY!

sih6XvUl.jpg

#RedSea #Reefer250 #ReefChallenge

Johnson556

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my sump for free from someone getting out of the hobby. It was a 40g no name, bought a piece of acrylic off of amazon and added a 10g chamber to run a 7” filter sock. Filled the small chamber between the sock and skimmer section with rubble.

Don’t run a fuge, instead have a platform on top of my 10g ATO Reservior that has an ATS on it(to the left). Happy with my set up and easy to keep clean.

5CDCF951-2678-4814-8575-AFC68E9B9D63.jpeg

OP
OP
vector824

vector824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the trigger crystal 30 sump setup refuge style.

Love it! Look at all that macro algae!

Got my sump for free from someone getting out of the hobby. It was a 40g no name, bought a piece of acrylic off of amazon and added a 10g chamber to run a 7” filter sock. Filled the small chamber between the sock and skimmer section with rubble.

Don’t run a fuge, instead have a platform on top of my 10g ATO Reservior that has an ATS on it(to the left). Happy with my set up and easy to keep clean.

So clean! Wish mine was that simple looking.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested to see what type of sumps you all have. This being one of my favorite parts of my tank I feel that they are the unsung equipment heroes of our hobby. The versatility and variety of the sump is just as fascinating to me as our display tanks with the ability to add a plethora of different equipment to keep our livestock happy! I added a poll to see what the variety is here on #Reef2Reef and a secondary poll tacked on to see if you have a 'fuge or not. I'll start with a picture of mine! SHOW ME YOUR SUMPS GOOD BAD AND UGLY!

sih6XvUl.jpg

#RedSea #Reefer250 #ReefChallenge
I love the DIY skimmer collector ;)

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trigger sapphire Cube 20... I would love the sump IF my stand was more manageable. With trying to navigate a square stand and not a lot of clearance it has made it more difficult than if I would have went with a smaller rectangular sump. Poor planning on my end.

IMG-3348.JPG

OP
OP
vector824

vector824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the DIY skimmer collector ;)

Haha thanks! Couldn't find a wire hanger... so that was the best I could do :p

Converted 55g tank, a bit more than half refugeum.

Don't really have any 'sump' pics... but here's one of the sump closet :)

Who doesn't want a sump CLOSET?!? Love it.

I'll have to get a filled shot, but here she was brand new and un-plumbed. 44 x 18 x 16. Basically my DT but 4" shorter, since the stand is wider than the tank to account for the external overflow.

Oh yeah very nice!

Trigger sapphire Cube 20... I would love the sump IF my stand was more manageable. With trying to navigate a square stand and not a lot of clearance it has made it more difficult than if I would have went with a smaller rectangular sump. Poor planning on my end.

Still nice!

Always love a reason to show off my disaster;)

Custom Lifereef setup, Sump, skimmer, reactors, ATO container and hanging fuge.

Hanging 'fuge?! Crazy!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who doesn't want a sump CLOSET?!? Love it.

Old, fat man here... working from my knees on something I'm supposed to be ENJOYING is no longer an option for me.

Wife wasn't real happy about loosing the coat closet, but hey, you do what you have to do to get by :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160722_011705.jpg
20160722_011624.jpg

Standard 40b with exotic marine baffle kit. I took it a step further after that lol
That green pipe gets me every time. I love it!

OP
OP
vector824

vector824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the ideas getting ready to set up a 180 gal aquarium. :rolleyes:

Yeah that's what I made the thread for! I searched and search but never could find a good one with lots of pictures.

Fully custom Modular Marine sump with fuge and frag section - 48x30x16

Pic during setup just after finishing getting it filled. Will have an updated shot of the sump area soon

Oh man so pretty!

Old, fat man here... working from my knees on something I'm supposed to be ENJOYING is no longer an option for me.

Wife wasn't real happy about loosing the coat closet, but hey, you do what you have to do to get by :)

You gotta do what you gotta do! :D

Standard 40b with exotic marine baffle kit. I took it a step further after that lol

Looks more like a high-end PC with water cooling than a sump! Fancy!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many are using sock silencers? My builder got some of the baffles slightly shorter than I had wanted, and the noise from the 7" sock is finally starting to get to me since it's dropping about 3" to the skimmer water height.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many are using sock silencers? My builder got some of the baffles slightly shorter than I had wanted, and the noise from the 7" sock is finally starting to get to me since it's dropping about 3" to the skimmer water height.

I converted a 55 gallon tank, which is 21" tall, to a sump. I wanted the height in the refugeum area, so my baffle is 16" high. Water height in the skimmer compartment is maintained at 9". That 7" waterfall sounded just like you might think it would. I bored 5x 3/8" holes in a line, 6" from the sump floor, across the acrylic baffle. It's enough. Flow OVER the baffle is limited, and flows smoothly, generating very little noise. Most of the flow goes through the baffle, via these holes. Nice and quiet.

As a side bonus, if my sump level gets an inch or so low, for whatever reason, I get an alert... as soon as those holes get above water level, it sounds like a waterfall again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back