Let's see your biggest rock nems!!!

Crimsonphoenix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest one is about 4 1/2 inches. reddish with green and white. Not the best looking, but healthy.
9FF5EC54-771D-4D57-9B1A-A4FF1F9FFA0D.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen these many times and almost jumped on one. Worried about there sting next to another coral??? Will they kill anything they touch? And will they move around the tank like other anemones?
Depends. I have 4 in my tank only one walks but he stays on the rock that I have designated for them. The other three don’t move at all.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen these many times and almost jumped on one. Worried about there sting next to another coral??? Will they kill anything they touch? And will they move around the tank like other anemones?

I ended up removing most of my rockwork to get rid of them because I moved the system to sps and they moved into the branches all the time. I still have babies pop up all the time which give me fits. I should have kept a system rfa only because they are amazing, but didn’t work for me in a mixed reef. They also got pretty big. Some 5” others stayed 3”. Just a few pics of many. They are very hard to remove and I kalk the babies But they come back.

296A3702-C68C-404C-B067-11627191DAC8.jpeg
3F1A2D16-1567-47E3-8317-3AA50A5B708F.jpeg
7375813B-0183-4C70-9A95-EA95C1EBD2F6.jpeg
3B6586DA-F319-4448-96CA-859A21CAB9ED.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really spectacular. If you ever decide to sell any of the babies …..

@ca1ore, I've heard that request more than a couple of times here at R2R. But the truth is, I'm still looking for RFAs that are different from mine and I would be happy if they took over all the places the zoas are in my new tank. It's not that I dislike zoas, in fact i love them as well. But RFAs are by far my favorite.

Last edited:

Mayfair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This yellow one is bigger than the palm of my sorry for the crappy photo

20200127_180438.jpg

Gw2kpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20200219_204955.jpg

Here are the two in my DT. They were about the size of a quarter when I got them. I put them on those spots initially, they strangely have never moved more than 1/2 inch.

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20200219_204955.jpg

Here are the two in my DT. They were about the size of a quarter when I got them. I put them on those spots initially, they strangely have never moved more than 1/2 inch.
That’s what I love about em they have a mind of their own. I’ve put rock nems in that never move a centimeter and some that won’t stop moving.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I love about em they have a mind of their own. I’ve put rock nems in that never move a centimeter and some that won’t stop moving.

I find that curious as I have 50+ in my tank now and only a few of them have moved at all, and even those moved small very distances once or twice and then settled in.

FragileReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FragileReefer I love the colors in your 2nd photo. Are the tentacles really that yellow? And the gentile shading in the oral disk is beautiful!
Yes this pic is just using my pixel phone and an orphek lens. The tentacles are a lemon lime yellow with a darker green center. I go to frag swaps on the hunt for unique rock flowers and this guy jumped out. It was only a green rockflower but I've never seen that lemon lime color. When I picked it the vender laughed and said that one was his favorite. And it is now my favorite. It's show season soon so I'll be on the hunt for more gems!

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll see if I can get any good photos when my lights are on later today. Right now mine are just getting settled in and acclimated to a new tank.

Just to be clear, size has nothing to do with how colorful or good looking a RFA can be. I know that isn't what you meant to imply, but I just wanted to make the point.

I've had several of mine for 5 years or more and the biggest ones are a rainbow and a couple of other bright colorful ones. They have given me 3 rounds of babies and now I have about 35 small ones along with a few others I've bought. Those big original RFAs are about 3" to 4" in diameter (just a guess).

We (my wife and I) snorkel in the Florida Keys a lot and we have a favorite spot to see lots of RFAs. Unfortunately, it's in shallow water which is 99.99% less colorful, but sometimes with attractive patterns, RFAs. This tiny island is only 100' or so in diameter and the water is only 2' to 3' deep, but 1/2 to 3/4's of the circumference of the island drops vertically into the water and that vertical wall is loaded with RFAs of all sizes. I'd guess the biggest ones are about 5" in diameter. I did find and collect one small one there that is rather plain looking overall, but has some blue coloration which made it quite different. But unlike all the really colorful RFAs, this one and most of the shallow water RFAs don't fluoresce much at all. Maybe some green, but the off whites, tan, brown and blacks don't fluoresce. But they do make some patterns that are quite different than what we see in the colorful, deeper water RFAs. I'd just like to get a hybrid of one with great colors and one with cool pattern to breed and give me some new looks!

This is my old 40g tank that I tore down recently.

Almost FTS June 2019.jpg

The multi colored one (right) and the one with the orange disk have been the parents to most of the kids I have.

20190110_095041 R1.jpg

These are a few of the babies tucked in by the parents (at the edges of the photo).

Baby RFAs.jpg
What are those baby blue zoas in the upper right on the first pic? I LOVE THEM

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this pic is just using my pixel phone and an orphek lens. The tentacles are a lemon lime yellow with a darker green center. I go to frag swaps on the hunt for unique rock flowers and this guy jumped out. It was only a green rockflower but I've never seen that lemon lime color. When I picked it the vender laughed and said that one was his favorite. And it is now my favorite. It's show season soon so I'll be on the hunt for more gems!

I'm right there with you. I have some really nice colors and various mixes of rainbows, so now I'm left to look for the very unusual rather than just cool colors. I found one at the Frag Swap in Lakeland Florida a couple of weeks ago.

What are those baby blue zoas in the upper right on the first pic? I LOVE THEM

Ha! Those are locally collected in the Florida Keys. HOWEVER, when they are collected they look like this. One or two shades of green with dark spokes. I like them this way as well.
Little Money Zoas P5120390 R1.jpg

But put them in a tank with high PAR and over a couple of months they morph into that very cool sky blue color. Sometimes the spokes disappear completely and sometimes there are 2 left.
Money Keys zoas morphed to blue.jpg

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm right there with you. I have some really nice colors and various mixes of rainbows, so now I'm left to look for the very unusual rather than just cool colors. I found one at the Frag Swap in Lakeland Florida a couple of weeks ago.

Ha! Those are locally collected in the Florida Keys. HOWEVER, when they are collected they look like this. One or two shades of green with dark spokes. I like them this way as well.

But put them in a tank with high PAR and over a couple of months they morph into that very cool sky blue color. Sometimes the spokes disappear completely and sometimes there are 2 left.
That’s some cool stuff there man.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow, I love those.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to think I tore this 40g cube down.

FTS June 2019 .jpg

And I'm moving into a new DIY 90g tank (36x 30x20)as a replacement. But it's only just started and looks terrible right now. There is some nuisance algae and a lot of rockscape work to be done.

20200110_144201.jpg

And now I'm considering turning my 16g holding tank into an all RFA tank and seeing if we can pump up the breeding. I started with about 10, sold some off, but then I've had 3 rounds of new babies and I've bought a few new ones. So I have 50+ now. They range from full size mature breeding RFAs at about 4"+ in diameter to a lot of 1/2" babies. The tank in the center below, is now at the right end of the stand and may become the RFA tank.

20200110_155947.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back