Let's see your controller boards/cabinets!!

I like to hide equipment
F800433B-262A-46C6-BA66-8AE630232135.jpeg
DD52A08C-0C9D-4DA6-8054-C7ACA80DA443.jpeg
4D698FF8-8F9D-4CB7-B473-75B79FEDB646.jpeg
9B0C22CA-DB89-479D-9DD6-B25931F5AEAE.jpeg
6567BFD3-1515-44F5-92AC-F26F373254A1.jpeg
 
First off everyone is giving me such good ideas. Also they all look great.
My question is that how do you keep the cords neat and clean, and still have the ability to take them out for cleaning
 
The trick is to leave enough cord behind the stand so that you can pull the items out for service. All of my cords are nice and tidy in my controller cabinet, but I left all of the excess on the floor behind the stand allowing you to remove items to clean them. The only catch is that you have to clean them at the tank, which I do in a bucket.

When I'm done I just coil up the excess and drop it back behind the stand.
 
First off everyone is giving me such good ideas. Also they all look great.
My question is that how do you keep the cords neat and clean, and still have the ability to take them out for cleaning

I’ve been cutting cords and installing oem automotive grade weatherproof connectors on ac components- sadly with everything going to dc it’s not as simple anymore.

but Velcro strips instead of zip ties also help in keeping cords accessible
 
I’ve been cutting cords and installing oem automotive grade weatherproof connectors on ac components- sadly with everything going to dc it’s not as simple anymore.


It's actually a lot easier with DC. You can make a common rail and power everything of off one beefier power supply. Or use two with a redundancy/combiner module.

Battery backup possibilities are also a lot easier with DC stuff and there are no losses related to DC to AC up-conversion.
 
I’ve been cutting cords and installing oem automotive grade weatherproof connectors on ac components- sadly with everything going to dc it’s not as simple anymore.

but Velcro strips instead of zip ties also help in keeping cords accessible
This is good idea. However I am sure it voids any warranty. So I would not recommend doing this on anything still under warranty.
 
It's actually a lot easier with DC. You can make a common rail and power everything of off one beefier power supply. Or use two with a redundancy/combiner module.

Battery backup possibilities are also a lot easier with DC stuff and there are no losses related to DC to AC up-conversion.

you can’t cut the dc cords short very easily, or add a good sturdy weather sealed plug to make it just unplug and remove from the aquarium for service. The dc cord wires are typically very fine gauge and the oem plugs are molded into the cords making them strong

Adding a power supply bus is great, but doesn’t make anything easily accessible when the wire travels from the display, behind the stand and into the cabinet, and secured to keep it tidy.
 
I'm gonna have a killer one for my next build. 8-)
 
Mine won't measure up to a lot of these but I'm just getting back into the hobby after a 25 year absence. There were no controller boards then since there were NO CONTROLLERS! Also no refugiums, LED lights, dinos or copepods, (at least none we knew of). Instead we had live rock, metal halide lights and chillers!
 

Attachments

  • E8E9CD8F-8CD5-4F5A-8498-329CB4FC7980.jpeg
    E8E9CD8F-8CD5-4F5A-8498-329CB4FC7980.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 173

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 54 34.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new