Lets Talk about FLOW and SPS!

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech does have this capability, (blue mode) where it can act as a actual wave maker, when tuning the wave settings, you can "tune" it way over size for the tank and essentially have what you are describing.

What are you guys referring to when you say "gyre settings" ? Because, other than the style of pumps, a true "gyre" is a spinning doughnut of water, like Gyre tanks that actually modified large shelf and pumps and educators strategically placed to create a mass water motion (river loop) effect.
The blue pulse mode delivers too much energy between the pulse and is only programmable for up to 2 seconds. The propeller almost stops in between pulses in there gyre modes.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue pulse mode delivers too much energy between the pulse and is only programmable for up to 2 seconds. The propeller almost stops in between pulses in there gyre modes.

Gotcha, have you ever used a Tunze ? they will be able to deliver what you are looking for.

Thing about Tunze is their flow isnt as broad as vortechs, it takes more distance to spread out, This is an old 6101 I have and I upgraded the nozzle with one from the 6201 to fix the issue, I believe you can interchange nozzles with a few of their new models as well if I'm not mistaken.

But the control box pictured allows you to control pulse length and pump speeds of what it will oscillate between.

20191104_122809.jpg

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, have you ever used a Tunze ? they will be able to deliver what you are looking for.

Thing about Tunze is their flow isnt as broad as vortechs, it takes more distance to spread out, This is an old 6101 I have and I upgraded the nozzle with one from the 6201 to fix the issue, I believe you can interchange nozzles with a few of their new models as well if I'm not mistaken.

But the control box pictured allows you to control pulse length and pump speeds of what it will oscillate between.

20191104_122809.jpg
Exactly what I wish Vortech would make available.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what I wish Vortech would make available.

It's crazy I cant find a picture of a gyre designed reef, they became popular around 2006 or so, it was basically a floating reef concept where you built a big shelf in the tank like this
Screenshot_20191104-140345_Chrome.jpg

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Reviving an old thread. This thread is very informative. I have about 250x installed capacity. I know, crazy. When your tank is a 25 lagoon, 2 small pumps will get you there. I have them on the opposing sidewall, diagonally offset. Here is my flow program at the moment.

• 4 am - 12 pm: Right side pulsing in random velocity and patterns, while the left pulses on a constant slow velocity.
  • 12 pm - 8 pm: Left takes over and pulses at random velocity and patterns with the right pulsing at a slow velocity.
  • 8 pm - 4 am: Both powerheads flow at a slow constant velocity.

Photo period: 10am - 8pm (8 hour peak).

My tank is relatively new (6 months, started with live rock from gulfliverock.com), my frags are small, and the tank is just coming out of a dino outbreak. I get good PE throughout the day and night (PE is a little better at night when the flow is lower). I also see the polyps getting a strong surge flow every few seconds. They are always moving. Please let me know if I should tweak the flow at all. I appreciate the help.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is a gem. Late to the party I might be, but I’ve learned a lot

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Vortech pumps (anti-sync reefcrest / nutrient transport) combined with 2 seaswirls is hard to mess up. Flow become non-linear and tornado like and water moving from bottom to top in a circular manner. Important to reduce flow considerable at night so it can be blasted that much more during photo period.

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gee where do I start lol. Flow to me is more important then lighting. I’ve seen tanks lit with home made LEDs that looked amazing but had incredible flow. I will always tell new SPS keepers to spend the money on their water movement before they go and spend a fortune on lighting. This is the List of what I have flowing my tank. I have 2 gyre 350 on each side of the tank. 2 gyres 350 on the rear center panel and a mp40 right side of the overflow box. I also have 2 seaswirls. All gyres are at close to 100 percent but the mp40 is on 50%. Vortex’s is just to give flow to that corner where I have dense growth with little movement.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back