Lets talk about non jumpers

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting a rimless tank and would love to get another fish or two. I want something unique and beautiful and am flexible on cost since I could and would wait to buy it.

Its for a 75g tank btw.

inhabitants would be 2 clowns, watchman goby and mandy the mandrin.

OP
OP
FiReBReTHa

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heard good things about a blue powder tang

tang-powderblue.jpg

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon would quickly be too small for a tang...a pair of some reef safe butterflies would be a great addition. Expensive but very beautiful would be a pair of Mitratus Butterflies.

In reality...non jumpers do not exist...foxface lo's aren't known jumpers but I have known one to go flying out of a tank. You don't know what can startle or spook a fish into jumping...thus the problem with open tanks.

OP
OP
FiReBReTHa

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true. I figure that I have a bit more "min tank req" room because I am going to go a little more basic in my LR Usage.

Zen like one might say...

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hate to tell you this but ALL fish can jump.

My friend austin had a lion fish jump out of a tank right onto him....

pakora

Papa-Kora!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my firefish jumped last week and i found it nice and dried behind my tank. they are known jumpers but eh he didnt seem like the type :-\

moral: listen to what people say and dont get a firefish unless you cover the top

OP
OP
FiReBReTHa

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Duh, Lions eat people.

yes, firefish and wrasses are amongst the worst for jumping, but all are capable.

Exactly, I guess my post was moreso to look for, Less likely jumpers. Wrasses and firefish are now out of the question.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
inhabitants would be 2 clowns, watchman goby and mandy the mandrin.
Over time, if startled (easy to do to fish), your clowns and goby would end up surfin' the carpet.
Yes... that was quite the site and no fun for either of us! I remember my dumbfounded facial expression as he breached the surface :waaaht:
Duh, Lions eat people.
Hah! This one could've probably downed a small child... he was pushing 14" long!
Exactly, I guess my post was moreso to look for, Less likely jumpers.
Well as mentioned, anything that's not a wrasse or firefish is less likely to jump out, but everything can (and will) if startled, spooked or just plain old bored sometimes... who knows.

Some of you may know one of my reefer buddies Edward (aka, invincible569) who had a gorgeous rimless reef. Among his first fish additions was a ~6" Scribbled angel... how often do you hear of, or see mentioned, large angels jumping out? Not often. Unfortunately Edward learned the hard way when he came out one morning to find his gorgeous giant scribbled on the floor :sad:

I also have a rimless tank, and before any fish go in I'll have a screen top that will be on unless I'm working on the tank, or watching the tank intently (which is about 75% of my evenings :D )

What's that saying? ...If you build it they will come... Well, same thing here but "If you do NOT build it, they WILL jump!"

OP
OP
FiReBReTHa

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whas your idea for the screen top?? I am curious now...

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rick...even with a minimum requirement of a 75 gallon tank for a PBT, unless it's about 2" when you get it, it will not be a truly happy fish...a 75 gallon, even with minimum rock work still doesn't give these fish the kind of swimming room they deserve. IMO. I would prefer to see a minimum tank length listed for any tang of 6 feet.
I bugged my Dr. friend so bad about keeping a 12" Vlmangi tang in a 220 gallon tank he couldn't stand it anymore and went and bought a 12 foot long x 3 foot wide x 3 foot deep tank. Gandalf has been in there about a month now and is already growing his streamers back and has doubled his color. I know a lot of people say you can keep tangs in smaller tanks but have them just survive as opposed to thriving is the big difference.
I've never had Anthias...but I'm betting a harem of them would look beautiful. I don't know if they have a tendency to jump or not!

Last edited:
OP
OP
FiReBReTHa

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, back to searching for purty fishies that can be happy.

yea, I am going rimlessand not just topless due to aesthetics so that wouldnt work or me :(

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back