Lets talk about power strips

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a switched power-strip in my first tank, a 90gal mixed reef with sump. When I turned it off, my return pump, skimmer, chiller, and powerheads all turned off. I did this when feeding, cleaning, or water-changing.

About 2 years in with many fish, I was feeding phyto after lights-out so everything was off. I forgot to turn the power-strip back on before going to bed. When I awoke, all my fish except for maybe one clownfish was lying dead on the bottom. It was a terrible realization that they had died because I forgot to flip a switch.

That was my motivation for my current tank to use an APEX controller and a controllable power-strip. Now when I feed, I hit a button and all my flow stops for 10 minutes. It automatically turns back on and I can easily check any time that water is flowing from my return pumps (flow sensors).

Always double-check your return pumps are on before leaving or going to bed. Lack of oxygen can kill your fish in less than 8 hours.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back