Let's talk ATOs

Indymann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
APEX controller, break out box, couple of floats and a small pump. Best in controllability and automation.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@solitude127 My UPLC is new but I had the UPLC-II for 4 years - zero issues. Sold it to get the new one with magnetic probes and programming features. I think the best part of the ATO is the pumps. Ive used Tunzee and other brands but none could handle the push/pull of my needs (up one story and over some feet) and then I was referred to the SpectraPure ATO by Marine Depot (they even told me no pump can match SpectraPures) and once I started using it I never looked back.

The Basic ATO really is nothing fancy, but the way it was designed is simple and like I said, has never failed.. (I use their LiterMeter and Water Exchange Module as well, that's another topic but never had a worry when I go on vacation due to the reliability of the modules) I opened it up to see and it uses a pressure switch with a HIGH and LOW setting and when the sensor tube hits the low pressure switch it will fill up until the high switch clicks then it shuts off.
Liter meter 3 for me as well. Been using for a long time (15 ish years). Replaced 1 time as I dropped the unit in kalwasser!

Bruno516

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liter meter 3 for me as well. Been using for a long time (15 ish years). Replaced 1 time as I dropped the unit in kalwasser!

Sweet!!

I have the original LiterMeter here at my desk - If my memory is correct when I bought it, it was the 3rd one built ever. It still works but obviously I have upgraded since the new ones have much more features

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the ReefFanatic Level Controller on my 140 from 2006-2018. I did make my own float switch holder, but the unit functioned flawlessly all those years, until I took the tank down.

+1.....been using the ReefFanatic for years with no issues. I do not use a pump and have it hooked directly to my RO/DI unit and tied into my Klak Reactor. Again, been doing this for years without fail. I do burn through a tad more resin this way, but a small price to pay to keep things simple IMO.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smart ATO Micro, hands down an awesome ATO. It has all the good things mentioned above (pump fits in 5G jar, detection of over run or water out of RO/DI container etc), but compared to other good ato's it has also lot less space consumption, suitable for nano or even pico tanks.
For my other two pico tanks I use DIY reef-pi + optical sensors.

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the innovative marine titanium hydrofill and love it. I use a maxjet with it and have never had an issue. Magnetic optical sensors and allows any pump you want. Also very affordable

ether

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the ice cap one, dual optical sensors, compact, works great. Good price, comes with pump. Love it so far.
210147ice-cap-ato.jpg

Jesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a t in my rodi line and installed a float valve in my refugium it keeps my water level where I want it I don' t have issues with my salinity and everything in my 300 gal mix reef tank have been doing fine for two years

mygsris2slo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Smart ATO Micro by AutoAqua with a JBJ Nano Cube 28g - been in service for 2 years now and works great.

I had the regular smart ATO in a Nuvo 4 tank and the case for the eye split causing the magnet to rust and leach after 1 year of use. Keep an eye on it. No pun intended!

The full tunze is pretty much the gold standard, but there are other options that would work too. Especially since Neptune offers optical sensors now.

The tunze nano gave me fits for a long time on a 20 long qt tank until I finally read about adjusting the time out function. Since adjusting it I have had zero issues with it. My one complain would be it keeps the water level a bit low on a standard plastic rim tank since the rim interferes with the float switch holder.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do not have a ATO in my QT tank I put the wavemaker real high in the water, when the water evaporates it makes an annoying sound reminding me to refill the tank. ON my main tanks I use Avast and Tunze I also have a Reef Fanatic. I won't use a ATO without a magnet holder though.

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite a lot of negative reviews, I picked up a Hydor ATO for $40. Took some finessing to get working right; recommended Aqua Lifter pump did not fill my sump from MIN to MAX within the 10 minute window and would set off the alarm. Once paired with an 80gph submersible pump, it's been working great.

Screenshot_20181018-055041_Amazon Shopping.jpg

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a new Avast Marine ATO system with there digital output that plugs right into my ProfiLux 4 controller thats all set up. Plus, I got the Diaphragm pump which transfers the water from my mixing station and pushes it threw the back of my house and through my Kalk Stirrer for stabilizing my PH or into my sump...

ATO SYSTEM.jpg

jogo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avast pressure switch with Avast peri pump connected to the apex. 2 years of service and flawless. Quiet too.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Apex ATKs on my tanks. The overall build is good, the concept is good but the factory equipped sensors SUCK. I replaced sensors with medical optic sensors and they work flawlessly.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back