Let's talk ATOs

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s talk ATOs.

In my eyes, if you have a Reef Tank, an ATO is a must. Some people have gotten away with filling it manually but knowing myself, I probably would always forget and have salinity swings. I know there are a ton of ATOs systems out there and there a few that are really popular like Tunze for example. Here are a few that I’ve used.

- Avast Marine (currently using in DT)

- Tunze (full version)

-Tunze Nano

- JBJ (currently using in my Red Sea 170)

- Reef Fanatic

- XP Aqua Duetto (currently using in my QT)

- Gravity Fill with float valve (currently using in conjunction with my JBJ on my RS 170)

Let’s talk a little about each

Tunze 3155

Probably the most popular and recommended that I’ve seen. It has an electronic eye to control the water level as well as a mechanical float switch as a backup just in case the water level rises too high. Not going to talk too much about this because it’s been around a while I’m sure a ton of people are using them

Pump: DC pump provided by Tuzne

Pros: Tried and trued. Optical sensor. Backup Float Switch. Pump fits in a 5g jug

Cons: Cannot be integrated with a controller besides on/off

Tunze-Osmolator-Universal-3155-Auto-Top-Off-ATO-99.jpg

Tunze Nano 3152

This is the little brother of the 3155. This ATO is more of basic ATO with only a mechanical float switch to trigger the pump. It does have a nice feature of a float guard to keep critters out of the area where the float switch is. Until recently, I was using this on my QT tank and come to find out, it has a nice little protection feature against overflows. If you tank is over a certain amount of gallons, you can adjust the ATO (via jumpers within unit) to fill a little longer.

Pump: DC pump provided by Tuzne

Pros: Price is relatively inexpensive. Uses the same pump as its big brother. Programming to shut off if pump is running to long. Pump fits in a 5g jug

Cons: Has a mechanical float switch to trigger pump

Tunze-Osmolator-Nano-3152-Auto-Top-Off-ATO-99.jpg

JBJ and ReefFanatic

I’m going to group these 2 together because they have very similar features as I’ve used both. Both use mechanical float switches and both have programming switches to determine what each float switch does.

Pump: an open outlet on the controller is provided to use a pump of your choice.

Pros: Dual floats included to do multiple things

Cons: no pump

JBJ-ATO-Automatic-Top-Off-System-Water-Level-Controller-99.jpg

4302.jpg

XP Aqua

I’m currently using this one on my QT and really like it so far. There are dual electronic water level sensor. The “brain” of the unit is compact just like the sensors. This unit also come with a DC pump. What I like about the pump is that it’ll fit in the neck of a 5g jugs most of us use.

Pump: DC pump provided by XP Aqua

Pros: Compact unit. Pump fits in a 5g jug. Programming if pump runs too long

Cons: New to the market

XP-Aqua-Duetto-Dual-Sensor-Complete-Aquarium-Auto-Top-Off-ATO-System-99.jpg

Avast Marine ATO

I’m currently using this on my DT and really like this one. There are many options to run this pump, there is a stand alone controller and can be attached to some sort of controller (APEX, ReefAngel, etc). What I really like about this pump is that the mechanism to fill the tank is a pressure switch. Unlike the previous ATO’s mention, there nothing to clog up mechanical float switch nor an electronic eye to keep clean.

Pump: an open outlet on the controller is provided to use a pump of your choice or can be hooked up to your controller to activate an outlet.

Pros: Can be integrated with controller. Pressure switch to activate pump. Backup float switch

Cons: No pump

LG-ato_grande.jpeg

What do you guys use?

Also, please feel free to add to the list.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of the Tunze 3155. I've had one of mine for over 10 years and I bought it used. Finally retiring it because they changed the voltage of the new pumps so now the water just trickles out and cuts off before filling the tank. Also don't forget it can be adapted to use a bigger pump if needed.

I've never tried a different brand so can't comment on the others.

Bruno516

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need to add the SpectraPure UPLC and Basic ATO. Underrated modules that I believe are the best in the market (the pumps are for sure)

I have my tank on the second floor and my mixing station in the basement. About 50 ft up and 10 feet over. The pump has had ZERO issues topping off my tank and the probes are extremely precise. I have the Basic ATO (LM3-APM) on my QT tank (same distance) and it uses a sensor tube with suction cups - no issues and extremely precise as well.

Again - IMO.. They are underrated and need attention.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the auto aqua smart ato micro is awesome, i used it on my nano tank and its in my QT now. uses just 1 optical eye and has a failsafe of if the fill takes 3 times longer than average it stops until reset.

the ATK from neptune can be stand alone, i've only used it with apex and its a PITA, might put my tunze back on

OP
OP
solitude127

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the different ATOs coming. The more information the better.

I think you need to add the SpectraPure UPLC and Basic ATO. Underrated modules that I believe are the best in the market (the pumps are for sure)

I have my tank on the second floor and my mixing station in the basement. About 50 ft up and 10 feet over. The pump has had ZERO issues topping off my tank and the probes are extremely precise. I have the Basic ATO (LM3-APM) on my QT tank (same distance) and it uses a sensor tube with suction cups - no issues and extremely precise as well.

Again - IMO.. They are underrated and need attention.
@Bruno516 All the ATOs listed are the ones I've used. Unfortunately, I've never used SpectraPure ATO but I've heard nothing but good things

Bruno516

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@solitude127 My UPLC is new but I had the UPLC-II for 4 years - zero issues. Sold it to get the new one with magnetic probes and programming features. I think the best part of the ATO is the pumps. Ive used Tunzee and other brands but none could handle the push/pull of my needs (up one story and over some feet) and then I was referred to the SpectraPure ATO by Marine Depot (they even told me no pump can match SpectraPures) and once I started using it I never looked back.

The Basic ATO really is nothing fancy, but the way it was designed is simple and like I said, has never failed.. (I use their LiterMeter and Water Exchange Module as well, that's another topic but never had a worry when I go on vacation due to the reliability of the modules) I opened it up to see and it uses a pressure switch with a HIGH and LOW setting and when the sensor tube hits the low pressure switch it will fill up until the high switch clicks then it shuts off.

Talo’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the tunze 3152 nano but I added the auto aqua level sensor as a failsafe. Working flawlessly so far.

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
I’m also a big fan of the smart micro ATO. The pump fits in a 5gal bucket which I modified a lid for and run the hose through the lid then siliconed to keep it air tight since I run kalk in my ATO. The sensor is just over the size of a penny so can fit just about anywhere. Very accurate and keeps the level in my sump perfect which is even more critical in my situation due to my sump being “open” & having no chambers so my Skimmer relies on the water level being correct.

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
auto aqua smart ato micro is awesome
Ditto, used mine for 2 years so far, no problems. I think the power cords on the various parts are a little short, but thats really the only bad thing I can say.

Also no complaints about the Aqua Medic, does what it says it should, had it just over a year
210590_aquamedic_refillsystempro-d.jpg

Rattzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up.. Thanks for this It should be a Sticky. Many new reefers have a difficult time deciding on the "right ATO" their setups. Each has their own good and not so good features.
I have used a few different versions in the past also..
Tunze nano: Currently in my RS 130D. I like the small footprint as you mentioned. I do wish it had a photo eye like the full version but for the price it works very well.. The pump is powerful but its also a bit loud. Great for AIO tanks and small sumps.
RKL/Float switch: Reefkeeper with SL2V2 module with the float and an Aqualifter pump..This is what I was using on my 29g without a sump until I got the XP aqua.(More on that below). This was a great ATO setup and worked wonderfully. QUIET!. only when the outlet kicked on did I ever hear anything. The Aqualifter is a great little workhorse with no noise. The only negative thing I can say is that on my own setup it was very sensitive to waves in the DT. If I walked past the tank too quickly or the MP10 ramped up enough it would cause the switch to trip on and off until the waves subsided. But in a sump setup or AIO tank, it is a great ATO option. If the RKL were still available, that is.

XP.png
XP Aqua ATO: I recently purchased this to replace the float switch/RKL ATO I was using and so far I'm very pleased with it's performance. I especially like the interior overflow/sump aspect of this setup. One major eyesore in a sump-less tank is the dusty and oily film that can accumulate on the surface of our tanks over time. This ATO eliminates that by skimming the surface and either catching the particles in the box via media bag, filter floss, "1-der-stik" ,GFO etc. or just blasting them into the tank for fish and other critters to devour and keep the surface clear for the most part. The very small 78gph pumps are super quiet and add an extra amount of gentle flow to my small tank which is also a plus. All the evaporation happens in the interior overflow box and not the rest of the tank so it only takes moments to refill each time and very little noise. The pump is suppose to push 8'. It works on rimmed and rimless too with strong magnets which was well thought out.
my only negative thing to say about it, so far, is that it can throw some microbubbles in the tank when it tops off from the air forced through the empty hose(siphon break prevents back siphon). But honestly its really nothing terrible and its gone in a flash. I'd personally recommend it to anybody. I thought about a similar idea years ago but never tried to make one.. I'm glad someone had the piece of mind to offer a gadget like this in the hobby.. It is a fairly new product like you mentioned so here always quality to keep an eye on but this appears to be well constructed and easy to install and operate.
I apologize for the winded long response but I figure others may find some of the information and reviews useful.

Last edited:

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the ReefFanatic Level Controller on my 140 from 2006-2018. I did make my own float switch holder, but the unit functioned flawlessly all those years, until I took the tank down.

Zaireguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a older spectrapure loved it..right now using the avast love this system

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Smart ATO Micro by AutoAqua with a JBJ Nano Cube 28g - been in service for 2 years now and works great.

OP
OP
solitude127

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I loved the Tunze 3155, I wish there was some sort of integration with a controller. Just for monitoring purposes so that you can log the on/offs. I'm sure you can do this with additional float switches but that just adds to the gadgets. Obviously, they're top off programming works well so no need to make modifications there.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back